Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Really, Mr. Pirates Arbitrator? REALLY?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
PeteD said:
Pitchers and catchers report for spring training in Bradenton on Sunday.

I just peed myself.

I was actually at Dunedin and Clearwater's spring training complexes today to pick up sponsorship checks and stuff for our auction from the Jays and Phils. Both teams were out practicing... It's a beautiful time of year.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Jeff N. said:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11040/1124149-100.stm

He's not a bad pitcher despite being on the Pirates. Had a 106, 100 ERA+ and a 2.6, 2.0 WAR the last two years.

Graduating from Princeton and working for the USDA in the off-season couldn't have hurt either :)

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
So a guy that was on the DL twice and had a record of 1-11 in 108 innings can get a raise of 4.6 times what he was making the year before.Wow I wonder what they would have had to pay him if it was 11-1 in 108 innings that could equate to 20,194,000 if they are going on that 1 win alone, then it would be a 46 times instead of 4.6 :benson:

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
uniquebaseballcards said:
Jeff N. said:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11040/1124149-100.stm

He's not a bad pitcher despite being on the Pirates. Had a 106, 100 ERA+ and a 2.6, 2.0 WAR the last two years.

Graduating from Princeton and working for the USDA in the off-season couldn't have hurt either :)[/quote]

Well I've worked for the USDA for 5 years....wish I could get a raise like that. We're under a 3 year pay freeze now though :lol:

asmth312

Jan 17, 2009
Wins are a useless stat for pitchers. The Pirates were offering 1.4 million, so obviously they believed he was worth more than last year's salary.

My understanding is that arbitration is an all-or-nothing game. The result will either be the player's number or the team's number, as opposed to a number that the arbitration panel creates. Just because the arbitrators awarded the player's number doesn't mean that number is their assessment of his market value, it just means they determined that number to be closer to true market value than the team's number.

Matsuicollector

Aug 7, 2008
a 4.01 ERA isn't completely horrible. At that number he was a more effective pitcher than 3/5 of the yankees rotation last year and they finished 2nd in the MLB, lol.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
Surprised he won but I think ERA is one of the criteria they look at in arbritration. That said, I hope this doesn't ruin the relationship between Ohlie and the team.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
sigma_chi said:
[quote="Jeff N.":349cyir3]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11040/1124149-100.stm

Graduating from Princeton and working for the USDA in the off-season couldn't have hurt either :)[/quote]

Well I've worked for the USDA for 5 years....wish I could get a raise like that. We're under a 3 year pay freeze now though :lol:[/quote:349cyir3]

Hey where do you work? My sister has worked for the USDA for about 15 years and is now in Dallas. She is a soil conservationist.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
The Pirates picked the wrong guy to argue against in arbitration.

Ohlendorf majored in Operations Research and Financial Engineering at Princeton, a major that combined mathematics, engineering and economics. His thesis was written on the June amateur draft, which will be held on Tuesday. Ohlendorf examined the top 100 picks from 1989 to 1993, tracked the progress of each player for a 12-year period, starting with the draft, to determine the value of the picks. Ohlendorf studied the investment (signing bonus) and the financial return from signing the player.

"The financial return is not cut and dry like the signing bonus, so I did my best to estimate it for the players in the study,'' he said. "The vast majority of the return was determined by the player's contribution in the major leagues prior to reaching free agency, and his salary over that period.''
What were his findings?

"On average,'' Ohlendorf said, "the player brought twice the return.''

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/s ... id=4230662

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
SamHell said:
The Pirates picked the wrong guy to argue against in arbitration.

Ohlendorf majored in Operations Research and Financial Engineering at Princeton, a major that combined mathematics, engineering and economics. His thesis was written on the June amateur draft, which will be held on Tuesday. Ohlendorf examined the top 100 picks from 1989 to 1993, tracked the progress of each player for a 12-year period, starting with the draft, to determine the value of the picks. Ohlendorf studied the investment (signing bonus) and the financial return from signing the player.

"The financial return is not cut and dry like the signing bonus, so I did my best to estimate it for the players in the study,'' he said. "The vast majority of the return was determined by the player's contribution in the major leagues prior to reaching free agency, and his salary over that period.''
What were his findings?

"On average,'' Ohlendorf said, "the player brought twice the return.''

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/s ... id=4230662

hmmmmm, I know that people track the average price paid for free agents based on WAR to get an average price per 1 WAR for FA's.

I wonder how you would turn a guys WAR into actual dollar value to the club considering it may vary depending on how well the team is doing overall and market not just based off that players performance.

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
morgoth said:
sigma_chi said:
[quote="Jeff N.":2rhqc2ob]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11040/1124149-100.stm

Well I've worked for the USDA for 5 years....wish I could get a raise like that. We're under a 3 year pay freeze now though :lol:

Hey where do you work? My sister has worked for the USDA for about 15 years and is now in Dallas. She is a soil conservationist.[/quote:2rhqc2ob]

That's cool, I'm guessing she works for NRCS? I work for the FSA side, farm programs here in Arkansas. I'm in charge of compliance in my office. I was offered a job at HQ in Washington DC to help build their GIS program last summer but I turned it down because my wife didn't want to live in DC....sometimes I wonder if that was the right move :oops:

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
sigma_chi said:
morgoth said:
[quote="sigma_chi":1iyyg0ax]
[quote="Jeff N.":1iyyg0ax]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11040/1124149-100.stm

Hey where do you work? My sister has worked for the USDA for about 15 years and is now in Dallas. She is a soil conservationist.[/quote:1iyyg0ax]

That's cool, I'm guessing she works for NRCS? I work for the FSA side, farm programs here in Arkansas. I'm in charge of compliance in my office. I was offered a job at HQ in Washington DC to help build their GIS program last summer but I turned it down because my wife didn't want to live in DC....sometimes I wonder if that was the right move :oops:[/quote:1iyyg0ax]

She actually helps develop the computer modelling programs they use for the irrigation ponds, terracing and other soil conservation methods for farmers. She also trains others on how to use the program.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
Pine Tar said:
So a guy that was on the DL twice and had a record of 1-11 in 108 innings can get a raise of 4.6 times what he was making the year before.Wow I wonder what they would have had to pay him if it was 11-1 in 108 innings that could equate to 20,194,000 if they are going on that 1 win alone, then it would be a 46 times instead of 4.6 :benson:

You're taking his win and loss record into consideration when he was on the 57-105 Pirates?

Members online

Latest posts