Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

time frame poll...

buyers... they are people too.

• yes card should be there within 3 business days.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no but its cool as long as shipped in a timely manner.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hoopster3977

Jun 22, 2010
Upper Peninsula
Depending of the time of the payment, I ship as soon as payment is received. If payment is received after 4pm, it goes out the next morning.

Right now I am waiting for a Pomeranz Black auto refractor I purchased and paid for on Jan. 23rd. Seller sent shipping info on Jan.30th. I still haven't received the card, I have checked the tracking and looks like I might have it on Feb. 11th. Seems like the package was in limbo for almost a week at a East coast mail hub. Still, seller should have shipped within 3 days, not a week after payment was received.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
I've never understood the thought process of a seller that would take their time shipping because a customer of theirs took their time paying.

You are the seller. Ship as quickly and properly as possible.

If someone pays two minutes after auction or six days later, your job as a seller doesn't change. Do whatever, you obviously are asking for a reason.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
Lancemountain said:
I've never understood the thought process of a seller that would take their time shipping because a customer of theirs took their time paying.

If someone pays two minutes after auction or six days later, your job as a seller doesn't change. Do whatever, you obviously are asking for a reason.

What is the reasoning behind your logic? Why should a seller ship same day as payment made if buyer takes 6 days to pay? What is your logic?
As a buyer, I don't really care when i get the card as long as i get it within 2 weeks of paying, unless it is a high value card and I specifically pay extra for overnight shipping or ask for priority....

I don't get some buyers attitudes, especially when most "sellers" aren't in business, they just buy and sell, just like the buyers, they are just hobbyists...

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
hofautos said:
Lancemountain said:

What is the reasoning behind your logic? Why should a seller ship same day as payment made if buyer takes 6 days to pay? What is your logic?

Logic is pretty simple.

I am the seller. I am expected to ship in a timely manner. Because my buyer did not pay in a timely manner does not release me of this contract. I did not say same day, I said quickly. If someone pays at 4pm, the package will wait till the next day.

Furthermore, I am a grown man and not a child, so I see no reason to ship slower simply because a buyer paid slower.

And lastly, as a seller I would like to protect my DSR's. Shipping quickly preserve a high rating.

It's very simple logic.

danboone2006

May 22, 2010
Cleveland OH
I look at ebay as I do my own business... When the buyer pays, they get their product ASAP. Regardless of how long it took them to pay.

If I get payment after 3 PM it goes out the next day. Just like in any other business eBay has "referrals" (feedback) and there's nothing worse than a person who wouldn't refer you to their friends or family.

That being said, I have no clue how it could possibly take more than 24 hours to pay for an eBay item. It's not like a secret when the auction is going to end.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
danboone2006 said:
I look at ebay as I do my own business... When the buyer pays, they get their product ASAP. Regardless of how long it took them to pay.

If I get payment after 3 PM it goes out the next day. Just like in any other business eBay has "referrals" (feedback) and there's nothing worse than a person who wouldn't refer you to their friends or family.

yup

There are a lot of tough guys in this hobby though.

I don't get it personally but to each his own.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
danboone2006 said:
That being said, I have no clue how it could possibly take more than 24 hours to pay for an eBay item. It's not like a secret when the auction is going to end.

Everyone has different budgets. Some people don't always have the money to drop on a card. I know I don't. However, if I am not going to be able to pay within 24 hours, I message the seller before I bid. "Your auction ends on Sunday, I don't get paid until Friday. Would you mind if I went ahead and bid on the item? I just wanted to let you know that if it's okay with you and I win, I won't be able to pay until Friday." Something along those lines. I have never had a seller have a problem with it. I think most are okay with it because I took the time to ask them and let them know ahead of time. In the internet age of being able to get in contact with someone almost instantly, a lot of people still can't/don't/won't communicate.

As a buyer, as long as I get my card within 14 days (domestic), I don't care how long it takes them to ship. If I pay on Monday and the seller doesn't ship until Friday, whatever, as long as the card makes it to me within that 14 day period. With how the weather has been, I am willing to go to 21 days.

All in all, it's about instant gratification. Everyone has to have everything now. Sellers get pissy if you don't pay within 6 seconds of the listing being over. Buyers get pissy if they don't have the card the next day. Why doesn't anyone have patience anymore?

lance a card i sold ended saturday night customer paid following friday evening. i do not ship on saturday due to work and sunday due to jesus. so the package was mailed with dc on monday feb 7th. morning of wed feb 9th i have a wheres my damn card email via ebay. if he was in a hurry to get the card he should have paid a touch sooner. imo...

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Lancemountain said:
danboone2006 said:

yup

There are a lot of tough guys in this hobby though.

I don't get it personally but to each his own.

I agree with this too. Especially if you have a time frame for payment explicitly stated in your listing...as long as the buyer pays within that time frame, then they did nothing wrong. No reason to NOT ship quickly...just complete the transaction and move on.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
My auctions are usually scheduled around my off days. If I have them ending on a Sunday, I make sure I will be able to get to the post office the Monday or Tuesday after. If the buyer takes til Thurs or Fri to pay, then they will have to wait til I can get to the post office again. I'm a nurse and a nursing student. Most of my days are 12 hours or longer. A 7a to 7p or 7p to 7a shift means no trips to the PO as it opens at 9a and closes at 4p. I assume waiting 4 or 5 days to pay for an auction means you weren't in that big of a hurry for the item anyway.

I pay for 99% of my auction wins immediately after it closes or the next morning. The only time I can think of that took longer than that was 3 days when I had a computer failure.

autorook

Jan 30, 2011
California
No excuse for the seller, the saying the customer is always right applies here (especially considering paypal and ebay heavily take the side of the customer in almost every situation).

Why take the risk when you can ship the very next day? Pop into Paypal and print out a shipping label and drop it off at the USPS counter and be done with it.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
notjomommasclint said:
lance a card i sold ended saturday night customer paid following friday evening. i do not ship on saturday due to work and sunday due to jesus. so the package was mailed with dc on monday feb 7th. morning of wed feb 9th i have a wheres my damn card email via ebay. if he was in a hurry to get the card he should have paid a touch sooner. imo...

You did everything right, brother. I would just contact the buyer and let him know that the card is on its way. If he bought the card on Friday, at best, most places POs are only open until noon on Saturday. PO is closed Sunday, so by common sense (which more and more people seem to be lacking) should tell the buyer that Monday was the earliest the card could be shipped.

Buyer sounds like a dick.

muskiesfan said:
notjomommasclint said:

You did everything right, brother. I would just contact the buyer and let him know that the card is on its way. If he bought the card on Friday, at best, most places POs are only open until noon on Saturday. PO is closed Sunday, so by common sense (which more and more people seem to be lacking) should tell the buyer that Monday was the earliest the card could be shipped.

thanks joe.. bolded for logic! my post office of 2 people is only open from 8:30-9:30 on saturday morning... and i have to be to work at 8 soooooo its a non option for me. i sent a very polite message to the buyer including the complete transaction (end time, payment time, shipping time, and gave him 3 ways to reach me if there was any further issues) he gave the impression of more super impatient than dickly however hopefully the card makes it to him and all is fine.

i made the topic and poll more so to validate my process and to see what the overall consensus of the community is. its not really about right or wrong its more about me lacking the ability to grasp how you can place urgency on something you showed no urgency in to begin with!

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
notjomommasclint said:
muskiesfan said:
notjomommasclint said:

thanks joe.. bolded for logic! my post office of 2 people is only open from 8:30-9:30 on saturday morning... and i have to be to work at 8 soooooo its a non option for me. i sent a very polite message to the buyer including the complete transaction (end time, payment time, shipping time, and gave him 3 ways to reach me if there was any further issues) he gave the impression of more super impatient than dickly however hopefully the card makes it to him and all is fine.

i made the topic and poll more so to validate my process and to see what the overall consensus of the community is. its not really about right or wrong its more about me lacking the ability to grasp how you can place urgency on something you showed no urgency in to begin with!

I agree with you. Like I said in my earlier post, instant gratification. No one has patience. Obviously this is an over generalization, but sellers want paid immediately and sellers want the card instantly. If it is going to take a few days to pay, buyers should contact the seller to let them know what is going on. It takes all of a couple of seconds. You know they're still cruising eBay after the purchase. Just send a message, "Hey, I can't pay until (insert day). Just wanted to give you a heads up. Thank you for your patience." That was quick, easy, and totally painless. Of course, people are too busy facebooking while driving and twatting to be able to send a message through eBay.

As for sellers, if you need the money instantly, why sell on eBay? Best case scenario, you sell the card and the buyer pays within 24 hours. If you're wanting to transfer that money to your bank account, tack on another 2-4 business days. You're looking at up to 5 business days to get that money. Not very instant. If the seller needs the money immediately to pay for an auction they won, then they're no better than buyer. They bid on something they didn't have the money for and they didn't pay instantly either. How can you bitch about someone not paying instantly when you can't pay for what you won either?

I need to stop. This does not pertain to your eBay situation at all. The majority of eBay problems are due to poor communication and lack of patience. "Buyer didn't pay within 2.3 seconds of the auction ending. BLOCK THEM!!!11!!!!1111!!", "I paid yesterday, why hasn't my card came yet? Seller sucks. He only lives 36 states away. Lazy jagoff".

muskiesfan said:
notjomommasclint said:
muskiesfan said:
notjomommasclint said:

I agree with you. Like I said in my earlier post, instant gratification. No one has patience. Obviously this is an over generalization, but sellers want paid immediately and sellers want the card instantly. If it is going to take a few days to pay, buyers should contact the seller to let them know what is going on. It takes all of a couple of seconds. You know they're still cruising eBay after the purchase. Just send a message, "Hey, I can't pay until (insert day). Just wanted to give you a heads up. Thank you for your patience." That was quick, easy, and totally painless. Of course, people are too busy facebooking while driving and twatting to be able to send a message through eBay.

As for sellers, if you need the money instantly, why sell on eBay? Best case scenario, you sell the card and the buyer pays within 24 hours. If you're wanting to transfer that money to your bank account, tack on another 2-4 business days. You're looking at up to 5 business days to get that money. Not very instant. If the seller needs the money immediately to pay for an auction they won, then they're no better than buyer. They bid on something they didn't have the money for and they didn't pay instantly either. How can you bitch about someone not paying instantly when you can't pay for what you won either?

I need to stop. This does not pertain to your eBay situation at all. The majority of eBay problems are due to poor communication and lack of patience. "Buyer didn't pay within 2.3 seconds of the auction ending. BLOCK THEM!!!11!!!!1111!!", "I paid yesterday, why hasn't my card came yet? Seller sucks. He only lives 36 states away. Lazy jagoff".

awesome!

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
Lancemountain said:
hofautos said:
Lancemountain said:

Logic is pretty simple.

I am the seller. I am expected to ship in a timely manner. Because my buyer did not pay in a timely manner does not release me of this contract. I did not say same day, I said quickly. If someone pays at 4pm, the package will wait till the next day.

Furthermore, I am a grown man and not a child, so I see no reason to ship slower simply because a buyer paid slower.

And lastly, as a seller I would like to protect my DSR's. Shipping quickly preserve a high rating.

It's very simple logic.
Timely based on who's definition of timely? What is this nonsense of release me of this contract? The buyer is obligated to pay within the time frame that ebay dictates...What exactly are the terms of the contact. Both parties BUYER and seller are responsible to meet the terms of the contract. Again, quickly is a relative word which means NOTHING. Quickly for one could mean one day and quickly to another could mean 1 week.
I won't be held hostage to dsr's. I go to post office when I can, which is usually weekends, because I am too busy at my job to run to post office during working hours.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
muskiesfan said:
Like I said in my earlier post, instant gratification. No one has patience. Obviously this is an over generalization, but sellers want paid immediately and sellers want the card instantly. .

I agree with "over generalization". I don't care if a buyer takes a week to pay, and I don't care if a seller takes a week to ship... I personally ship on weekends, because that works best for me. People that expect something to shiip in one day regardless of when they pay are a little one-sided to me.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
hofautos said:
muskiesfan said:
Like I said in my earlier post, instant gratification. No one has patience. Obviously this is an over generalization, but sellers want paid immediately and sellers want the card instantly. .

I agree with "over generalization". I don't care if a buyer takes a week to pay, and I don't care if a seller takes a week to ship... I personally ship on weekends, because that works best for me. People that expect something to shiip in one day regardless of when they pay are a little one-sided to me.

I agree. I'm just going off of a lot the threads here on FCB. If people don't have a card within 4-5 days, they start getting antsy. Same with sellers. If they haven't been paid within 24 hours, they'll make a thread "discussing" the bad buyer.

I've been accused of being too relaxed with my eBay expectations because;
A) I factor shipping costs into my bid. If the seller has $7 listed for shipping, I adjust my bid accrodingly. I do not later complain about it and demand a partial refund.
B) I go by 14 days domestic and 60 days international. I don't bother contacting the seller until those timeframes have passed. I can count on one hand the amount of times I have had to contact the seller about a card.
C) If the card makes it to me in good shape, I leave 5 stars. Whether it's a PWE or bubble mailer. As long as the card is not damaged, I have no complaints. I have never received a damaged card.
D) I don't sweat feedback. When I buy from large sellers on eBay, I've noticed that most tend to leave feedback on a weekly or even monthly basis. If I don't receive feedback immediately after I pay or even after I have left feedback for the seller, I don't sweat it.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
hofautos said:
Lancemountain said:
hofautos said:
Lancemountain said:

Logic is pretty simple.

It's very simple logic.
Timely based on who's definition of timely? What is this nonsense of release me of this contract? The buyer is obligated to pay within the time frame that ebay dictates...What exactly are the terms of the contact. Both parties BUYER and seller are responsible to meet the terms of the contract. Again, quickly is a relative word which means NOTHING. Quickly for one could mean one day and quickly to another could mean 1 week.
I won't be held hostage to dsr's. I go to post office when I can, which is usually weekends, because I am too busy at my job to run to post office during working hours.

ok tough guy :lol:

Members online