Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What should I use to get a bat signed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ripken2131_8

Feb 4, 2011
Savannah, GA
I have a game used broken bat from Jason Heyward that I'd like to get signed this weekend at the National. I've never been to a card show this big, nor have I ever been to a signing so please excuse my ignorance. Do I need to bring a pen? If so, what kind would work best on this? Do I have to buy my ticket to get the auto before the show or at the show? I'd also like to get him to inscribe it with something, but I'm having a hard time coming up with anything. Suggestions?

file-3.jpg
file.jpg
file-1.jpg

Jheywardfan

Apr 25, 2010
Arlington, TX
Normally a silver sharpie on black would work fine. In your case, I would go with a silver paint pen because the bats are game used. Silver paint works great. Just allow it time to dry. Most signing sessions will have an array of pens at the autograph stage. But it's always a safe bet to have one on you just in case. In the case of a paint pen, make sure it's ready to go. (meaning the seal is broken and the paint has ran through the filter and been tested for a clean writing.) I speak from alot of experience from working for TriStar, Panini, and others. Good luck and have fun. Btw, in most cases, a blue sharpie works best on a blonde bat for future reference.

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
Definitely do not use silver sharpie and definitely bring your own pen. The show will certainly have silver pens but it is always best to bring your own so you know what you are getting.

Silver deco paint pens typically work well. The only problem is you have to make sure they are prepped. Since this is a sit-down signing, you should have time to do so.

Alternatively, I have started using SRX metallic markers as they don't require prepping and give a nice, bold auto. See link below for some info. In fact, I got Heyward on a bat last week at the Braves caravan using a gold one and it looks awesome. These markers are sold in packs of eight different colors - I just pull out the silver, gold, and blue and chuck the rest. The blue isn't the same as a sharpie blue so I only use it on items where a blue sharpie won't show up well. The SRX blue is more, well, metallic so it shows up nice on darker surfaces. I can find these at Target for around $4 for the pack of eight so they are cheap as well.

Good luck!

http://www.craftcritique.com/2010/01/sr ... -done.html

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Seems like the previous posters got you covered on the type of pen. As for the inscription, if you know the date of the game that the bat was used/broken, that would be a pretty cool inscription.

Members online

Latest posts