Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone see Keith Law's report on Brett Wallace?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Law has always been quite high on Wallace but has some very damning words from scouts and execs:

"The way Wallace’s rise to the majors has stalled out has been a hot topic among scouts this winter, since at the time he was drafted the debate was over whether he could play any position well enough to keep him off DH, not whether he’d hit. But the new consensus is that Wallace can’t cover the inner half because he doesn’t fully rotate his back side through his swing, ceding the inside part of the plate to the pitcher, and that it’s not fixable. If anyone can help him, it’s new hitting coach Mike Barnett, who was hitting coach in Toronto while I was in the front office … but the industry has officially jumped off the Wallace bandwagon."

During Wallace's brief tenure in the Jays system I was thoroughly unimpressed and though I don't know if Anthony Gose will ever make the majors, I was thrilled that Anthopolous dealt him, perhaps just in time.

The 'not fixable' part is probably due to Wallace's body type (ie. big hips/fat ass). While it's certainly possible that this is all just conjecture, it's interesting to see how quickly the industry soured on a guy they once pegged as a future batting champ.

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
Not that it matters but after a game here in Little Rock while he was playing for Springfield, I asked him to sign a Razor base card (one card, not 2 or 10) and he straight up said no. He went 2-3 and didn't even make an error so it wasn't because he just had the worst game of his life. Obviously, I'm not a fan of his, Alex Gordon, Corey Lee, Justin Miller or Mat Latos for the same reason.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
braden said:
The 'not fixable' part is probably due to Wallace's body type (ie. big hips/fat ass). While it's certainly possible that this is all just conjecture, it's interesting to see how quickly the industry soured on a guy they once pegged as a future batting champ.

I read that. Law jumped ship quick on him. I'm not sure I buy the fat ass/thick lower half reasoning. Wallace may have slow hands, lack some flexibility or is unable to make adjustments to how he is being pitched but there are tons of guys that could handle the inside pitch with a large derriere.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
SamHell said:
braden said:

I read that. Law jumped ship quick on him. I'm not sure I buy the fat ass/thick lower half reasoning. Wallace may have slow hands, lack some flexibility or is unable to make adjustments to how he is being pitched but there are tons of guys that could handle the inside pitch with a large derriere.

That was the alarming part to me. Law's usually pretty stubborn on changing his opinion on a prospect.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
You dont get traded over and over if you are a sure fire MLB player while ur still in the minors. People who dont collect cardboard and have a much better eye for who can and cant make it...arnt going to just get rid of a guy that easily.... and now that he is on his 45th team in 3 years.... that should tell you something.

CubsFan13

Jul 1, 2010
P_Manning 18 said:
You dont get traded over and over if you are a sure fire MLB player while ur still in the minors. People who dont collect cardboard and have a much better eye for who can and cant make it...arnt going to just get rid of a guy that easily.... and now that he is on his 45th team in 3 years.... that should tell you something.

Carlos Gonzalez :D

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
CubsFan13 said:
P_Manning 18 said:

He was part of 2 blockbuster trades involving Dan Haren and Matt Holliday. And he wasnt traded this quick.

June 5, 2008: Drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals in the 1st round (13th pick) of the 2008 amateur draft.
July 24, 2009: Traded by the St. Louis Cardinals with Shane Peterson (minors) and Clayton Mortenson to the Oakland Athletics for Matt Holliday.
December 16, 2009: Traded by the Oakland Athletics to the Toronto Blue Jays for Michael Taylor (minors).
July 29, 2010: Traded by the Toronto Blue Jays to the Houston Astros for Anthony Gose (minors).

In a shade over 2 years he was on the Cardinals, A's, Blue Jays and Astros... and he was a #13 overall pick. You dont move that much in such a short time being drafted that high... if you are a legit prospect.

CubsFan13

Jul 1, 2010
P_Manning 18 said:
CubsFan13 said:
[quote="P_Manning 18":tp2d51hl]You dont get traded over and over if you are a sure fire MLB player while ur still in the minors. People who dont collect cardboard and have a much better eye for who can and cant make it...arnt going to just get rid of a guy that easily.... and now that he is on his 45th team in 3 years.... that should tell you something.

He was part of 2 blockbuster trades involving Dan Haren and Matt Holliday. And he wasnt traded this quick.

June 5, 2008: Drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals in the 1st round (13th pick) of the 2008 amateur draft.
July 24, 2009: Traded by the St. Louis Cardinals with Shane Peterson (minors) and Clayton Mortenson to the Oakland Athletics for Matt Holliday.
December 16, 2009: Traded by the Oakland Athletics to the Toronto Blue Jays for Michael Taylor (minors).
July 29, 2010: Traded by the Toronto Blue Jays to the Houston Astros for Anthony Gose (minors).

In a shade over 2 years he was on the Cardinals, A's, Blue Jays and Astros... and he was a #13 overall pick. You dont move that much in such a short time being drafted that high... if you are a legit prospect.[/quote:tp2d51hl]

Touche. I guess being traded straight up for Michael Taylor and Anthony Gose shows organizations lack of confidence in the guy. Those two deals werent exactly blockbuster deals.

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008
P_Manning 18 said:
CubsFan13 said:
[quote="P_Manning 18":1xz7v98m]You dont get traded over and over if you are a sure fire MLB player while ur still in the minors. People who dont collect cardboard and have a much better eye for who can and cant make it...arnt going to just get rid of a guy that easily.... and now that he is on his 45th team in 3 years.... that should tell you something.

In a shade over 2 years he was on the Cardinals, A's, Blue Jays and Astros... and he was a #13 overall pick. You dont move that much in such a short time being drafted that high... if you are a legit prospect.[/quote:1xz7v98m]

All newly drafted players cannot be traded until one year, so the minute the Cards could move him, it became hot potato.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Wallace is probably a poor man's Sean Casey who should be probably be a DH in the American League.

Members online

Latest posts