Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Best slabs for protection? SGC or BGS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Piratesfan1418

Aug 13, 2008
I like the look of the SGC but wonder how well it protects. I have some cards graded by BGS but wonder if at any point in the future the cards may stick to the plastic sleeve inside.

These are just for my personal collection cards so I'm not worried about resale or grades. Just uniformity.

Brad

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Cards should never stick to the plastic sleeve inside BGS slabs; they're acid free, archival safe mylar. BGS slabs offer the best protection by far. I love the look of SGC slabs, but I would never choose them for protection reasons. The black insert is often jagged where it is cut, and I've seen cards slip above and below the insert. Not good.

autocut

BGS protects well if they do everything they suppose to. By a couple of bad experiences that BGS said they will correct if i send cards back, I will am going to submit some to SGC.

BGS will provide better protection (if you're rough on cards) and it depends on the thickness of the cards when it comes to SGC. Whichever you decide to use, make sure you put the graded card in a graded card plastic sleeve/bag.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
If you're going to be outside in a hurricane playing catch with the slab or throwing it off the Empire State Building, then BGS is the way to go. I'm not sure what others actually do with their graded cards but both are fine in my book for protection. I prefer SGC for the way the card stands out due to the black insert and nothing has ever happened to my cards while in the holder as they just sit in a box anyway. People managed to have tobacco cards that 90 years later get professionally graded mint condition without a BGS holder.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts