Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What is up with this Topps "leather" card?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cparker94

Apr 17, 2010
Would someone please tell me why these manufacturered cards are worth so much? I mean I could understand it if they were game used or autographed but it is just a piece of leather on a card even though this particular one is a one of one. Could someone set me straight on this?

http://leather.mytoppscards.com

Let me know your comments -- thanks!

Craig from Texas

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
These blow my mind as well, but people seem to want to collect them just like the mfg hat logos, mlb logos, and bat barrels.

It is beyond me why they sell for more than actual game used cards. In many cases, you could by a
nice multi-colored patch or autograph of the same player for less than what these thigs sell for.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
I'm so glad that Omar isn't in the set. I don't want to make the decision of whether to pick it up or not. What's next, manufactured sticker autographs?

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
The 1/1s look like they are nicknames.

[ebay:b1cojihe]120681229214[/ebay:b1cojihe]

[ebay:b1cojihe]310293654574[/ebay:b1cojihe]

[ebay:b1cojihe]230582226950[/ebay:b1cojihe]

[ebay:b1cojihe]250768760941[/ebay:b1cojihe]

The Lincecum will cause the Howard price.

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida
These types of cards don't appeal to me on any level. On the other hand, what I collect probably doesn't appeal to a majority of collectors. The fact that this is a 1/1, plus the number of Ryan Howard/Phillies collectors probably make this valuable to alot of people, just not me. ;)

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
1st4040 said:
its the power of the player collector plain and simple that will drive a card like that... and sellers all know it.

No doubt. If Omar was in the set, I'd probably pick up the cards but wouldn't really like them too much. And I certainly wouldn't pay outrageous prices for any of them. But obviously I'm in the minority so more power to 'em. But regardless of the demand and popularity, they're still lame as hell.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I like them. The stitching is a design element, just like ink or foil. I was amazed by the price on the Lincecum, but it's a successful design, IMO. At least the 1/1s are personalized to the player. Having the one card in the world that says 'The Freak' on it is kind of cool. Or at least slightly less dumb than any other baseball card, depending on your point of view. I am more impressed by the prices on the manupatches from the last couple year that just have a team logo or something. People really go after those.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
You know you want one.. just admit it ..

I pulled these two from 2 hobby boxes.. Hopefully I can get a couple of $$ for them..

jeter.jpg

hanley.jpg

Now if they actually used game used leather on these, they might do better.. Especially the 1/1 with their names..

braden

Aug 7, 2008
While they don't really do anything for me either, I must say, aesthetically they're much better looking than most game-used cards. I've never seen the appeal in GU from any aspect. Nine times out of ten they're hideous and I can't get excited over the fact that a guy probably wore my 1"x1" piece of fabric at some point. So in that respect, given the choice, I'd probably rather have a cool looking manufactured card than any sort of GU.

Members online

Latest posts