Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Baseball America's Top Prospects - about 70% are failures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008
Boston, MA / Longboat Key, FL
Interesting article on Royals Review...

http://www.royalsreview.com/2011/2/14/1 ... -prospects

VERY in depth article, but here were the conclusions:

* About 70% of Baseball America top 100 prospects fail.
* Position player prospects succeed much more often than pitching prospects.
* About 60% of position players ranked in Baseball America’s top 20 succeed in the majors.
* About 40% of pitchers ranked in the top 20 succeed in the majors.
* About 30% of position players ranked 21-100 succeed in the majors (with the success rate declining over that ranking range from about 36% to about 25%)
* About 20% of pitchers ranked 21-100 succeed in the majors (with the success rate declining over that ranking range from about 22% to about 15%)
* The success rate of prospects (both position player and pitchers) is nearly flat and relatively undifferentiated for players ranked 41-100, and especially those ranked 61-100.
* Corner infield prospects and catchers are the most likely to succeed in the majors, but outfielders, third basemen and shortstops are the most likely to become stars. Second basemen and pitchers are the least likely prospects to succeed in the majors or to become stars.
* Prospect success rates have not improved much over time and there is little data to support the contention that prospects are more likely to succeed now than they have in the past.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
baseballguy350 said:
Interesting article on Royals Review...

http://www.royalsreview.com/2011/2/14/1 ... -prospects

VERY in depth article, but here were the conclusions:

* About 70% of Baseball America top 100 prospects fail.
* Position player prospects succeed much more often than pitching prospects.
* About 60% of position players ranked in Baseball America’s top 20 succeed in the majors.
* About 40% of pitchers ranked in the top 20 succeed in the majors.
* About 30% of position players ranked 21-100 succeed in the majors (with the success rate declining over that ranking range from about 36% to about 25%)
* About 20% of pitchers ranked 21-100 succeed in the majors (with the success rate declining over that ranking range from about 22% to about 15%)
* The success rate of prospects (both position player and pitchers) is nearly flat and relatively undifferentiated for players ranked 41-100, and especially those ranked 61-100.
* Corner infield prospects and catchers are the most likely to succeed in the majors, but outfielders, third basemen and shortstops are the most likely to become stars. Second basemen and pitchers are the least likely prospects to succeed in the majors or to become stars.
* Prospect success rates have not improved much over time and there is little data to support the contention that prospects are more likely to succeed now than they have in the past.

From what I have gathered, by looking at previous years top 100 prospects lists, is that each year scouting and talent evaluation gets better and better. I went back and checked out 2008's top 100 BA list, and there were a lot of duds on it. But, each year since the list has gotten better and better in my opinion.

I would be willing to bet anything that 70% of 2011's top 100 prospects don't fail. But, I guess it depends on the meaning of "fail."

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
To me any prospect who became a reliever (not closer), spot starter or bench player is by definition a failure.

Also if they cannot hold a starting position for 5 full seasons then they are also a failure. As these guys are projected to be key players for a team for many seasons not just 1 or 2 years and platoon players or bench players the rest of their days.

I think of Travis Lee as a guy who, even though had a mediocre career you can't say he failed as he had 5 full years a starter and was a starter for most of 2 more seasons. He didn't live up to his potential but he at least delivered what I would consider to be a minimum of guy so highly touted.

imac220

Aug 14, 2008
Central PA
I am a strong believer in baseball-intellect.com's prospect lists.

If you have not done so, I encourage you to check it out and see what I mean

imac220

Aug 14, 2008
Central PA
autorook said:
I just had to post it for everyone to see if they didn't notice your avatar, its brutal :lol:

OUCH.gif

Hahaha yep. I have had that as my avatar for over a year with no intentions of changing it. It just never gets old haha

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
Sounds about right. Did anyone expect every one of them to become an All-star one day? That's why they call it a prospect list, not a silver slugger or Cy Young list.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
Kinda odd you say that, as I'm playing as the Royals in Baseball Mogul. I'm in 2013. Hosmer is a AAAA player, no power, about a 70 OVR. Moustakas is a starter, but has failed to hit over .250/15/60. John Lamb is a promising 3rd starter, while Montgomery is a AAAA starter. Melville is in AAA, and Duffy is very inconsistent. Wil Myers finally made it to AAA, and is hitting around .270. No one has really worked out other than Chris Dwyer, Tyler Sample, and Noel Arguelles. Aaron Crow is very inconsistent too.

jeff152380

Feb 23, 2010
Vermont
Baseball America is name people remember so they get all the fame for prospecting.... but they are extremely overrated.. Most people who can think for themselves don't need a so called scout or prospect expert (which I don't think even exist) to make a prospect list for them. BBA is pretty much a year late on most prospects and overrated all the high school drafted kids from the start... The rankings are very inconsistent and half the time they contradict themselves and make no sense... they over hype a prospect like Mike Trout way too early.. only for what is going to be a huge let down... Trout may be decent one day, but they over hype him way to early... they did the same thing with Jay Bruce and Cameron Maybin... I can go on and on with the prospects they have over hyped.. And how many players are all stars or have been all stars in the past 5-10 years that didnt even make their top 100 list or let alone the top 50.... how many of their top 5 players have been complete flops? its sad people even look at what they say....

Latest posts