Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Just when I think I'm out of it, they suck me right back in

How many times have you quit and came back to the hobby?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

autorook

Jan 30, 2011
California
Famous quote from the legendary Al Pacino, but you must be wondering what does the quote have to do with baseball cards?

Well I am setting up a poll to see how many times FCBers have quit cold turkey and eventually came back to the hobby.

For myself I only quit once back in 2000 and got sucked right back in with the rage of Jason Heyward, Buster Posey, and of course Stephen Strasburg :p

So how many times have you quit and came back to the hobby?

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
started in 1986 at age of 5, quit during my freshman year in hs 1996, started back up as a junior in 1998 and been going ever since.

Weimer

Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I originally started when I was little, probably in 94 or 95. I collected pretty hardcore until about 97 or 98 then all my friends stopped being interested so I did as well. I didn't have the internet and the only local card shop closed up so I didn't really have any reason to stay interested. Then in 2005 I got really interested again because I saw a Beckett at the store and decided to pick it up and read it for nostalgia sake. I ended up going to Shinders (LCS) and buying like $400 worth of wax and bought probably another $400-500 of wax on eBay. I didn't know anything about any of the stuff.

I then ended up taking a break again until probably about 2008 when I started visiting BMB again and started posting. Then migrated to FCB once it opened and Beckett started sucking. Haven't really stepped away since. I don't really collect or buy anything, but I peruse the boards and keep up on everything.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
The reason I got sucked back in was because I decided to check out a card shop in Swansea, Il when I was living down in St. Louis for a couple of years. On a whim I decided to buy a couple of packs of 2006 Bowman Football and it was off to the races from there.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
I have never really "quit" totally but i definitely slowed right down from about 1994 till 2002. During these years i still picked up the odd Beckett every 4 or 5 months and got some packs here and there but didn't collect nothing like i do now. In about 2001/02 i got really introduced into game used cards and certified autographs by a couple friends and this really peaked my interest again.

In 2003 is when i went full tilt again by joining the BMB, buying on ebay/naxcom and attending shows again. Something else that also really got me into collecting again was the "hype machine" of several rookies during this time. Lebron James, Carmelo Anthony, Marc Andre Fleury and Eli Manning were super hyped in their respective sports as rookies and i went "all out" collecting their rookie cards.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
quit buying baseball cards 1989, and was just buying hockey cards, and stopped buying hockey in 1992 and got back into baseball cards in 1998 because of the Home Run Chase!

SportsCardMojo

Aug 22, 2010
MD
When I started, I wasn't that serious. My parents owned a mini mart that sold cards. When they couldn't sell stuff, they would bring me home boxes of unopened cards (early 80s). As I got older, I then moved on to comics, then various other collectibles. Then Strasburg, the 2010 National in Baltimore, Bryce Harper, Manny Machado and John Wall rolled into town. Combine that with being an adult with a reasonable paying job...I put myself in a hole in less than 6 months. So I told myself to call it quits after 2010 BDP. That didn't last very long. So if the time between 2010 BDP and 2011 Topps Series 1 counts as cold turkey, I've quit a total of 2 times. Otherwise, really only once.

Members online

Latest posts