Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

OT: Some of you know, some don't, Dad is having surgery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
As I posted in a few of my threads on the box break boards, my dad is having his gal badder removed sometime today. So if you don't see me around in the next day or 2 you know where I am.

highphat

Aug 18, 2008
Hey Andrew...hope all goes well. Typically not a very difficult procedure. In back to back to back years, my mom, dad and sister all had theirs out (all for different reasons) with no issues following. Everything should be pretty smooth.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
I've had a bunch of people with whom I'm close with have their gall bladders removed in the past two months. Two were kept in the hospital for over two weeks (one still in) and two were out within a week. Your dad is in my thoughts.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
thanks guys, its infected so they will be cutting him open. So that just means longer recovery time. Good Times Good Times.

fengzhang

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
I actually saw a really cool cholecystectomy where the surgeon used an endoscope tube to make the incisions and then pulled the gallbladder out through the patient's mouth (kinda like if you threw up your gallbladder). No external cuts were made on the abdomen at all. It was pretty gross though to regurgitate one of your organs.

That's probably not what your dad's getting ;) Hopefully, he's getting the laproscopic kind. The complications are usually minimal.

edit: just saw your last post and it looks like he's not getting a laproscopic cholecystecomy. I wish him well.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
I had mine removed when I was 18 and the surgery wasn't a big deal at all. There is 3-4 tiny scars, that you can barely see. In fact, they remove it through the belly button now, so you can barely even see it.

Unfortunately for me, I had complications after the surgery, from the medication I was on. I ended up with perforation of the duodenum, which led to a much bigger scar and emergency surgery.

I am not the norm though, by any means, so Mr. Lederman should be back on his feet in a day or two. Gall bladder removal is an extremely common procedure.

70Chip

Aug 7, 2008
Andrew, best wishes to your dad. Hope everything goes smoothly and he is back on his feet quickly.

Members online

Latest posts