Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Prospector Help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yankees1218

Jan 1, 2010
Since I am very new to this part of the Hobby, i am really unsure of what to think of new guys i find looking through MILB.com.

My question to all those more knowledgable is what do you all know/think about Ronald Torreyes. He doesn't seem to be getting noticed by many even though he hit .370 in 91 games with only 19 k's and 25 sb's at 18 years old...

I know he's really small, but i dont seem to notice much else that would hold him back from legitimate prospect status. Someone please fill me in.

GAbballplayer148

Aug 13, 2008
BA has him 22nd in the Reds organization...an interesting excerpt from the book: "...the Reds list him at 5-foot-10, he's probably three inches shorter, so some scouts worry about his projection."

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
best way to go about buying sleepers is to have the rocks and to keep them quiet. the more you talk about them the more interest you bring to them

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
Most of the hype surrounding a prospect is generated by Top 25, 50, 100, or 125 lists. He is nowhere to be found on those. Also, there are quite a few people who generally refuse to throw money at a guy before they reach AA. Buying now would provide you with the opportunity to make the most if he progresses well but a lot of people would prefer to wait and put a little more into a player that has put up good numbers against advanced competition. To each his own. I try not to go overboard on those Hail Mary type prospects but they can't be overlooked.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
jcmint said:
best way to go about buying sleepers is to have the rocks and to keep them quiet. the more you talk about them the more interest you bring to them

+1, lower prices while you're buying make it that much easier to turn a profit when you're selling. The good thing about sleepers is that usually they're cheap enough that even if you're completely wrong and they end up sucking, you don't lose much money. It's worth a shot if you find some guys that appear to have potential.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
jcmint said:

I try to do that but sometimes a player's cards are rarely on ebay and you have to resort to "asking if anyone has X player available"...that kinda gets the cat out of the bag shall we say...yes, it's tough.

Members online