Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2009 Ultimate Collection- checklist accuracy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
When 2009 Upper Deck Ultimate Collection came out, the checklist showed a card (and parallel) that I would be chasing. However to this date, I've never seen either pop up on eBay or any forum that I can find. I have run a couple different searches for these literally every day since they hit the market, but come up empty. I recently emailed Chris Carlin to see if he or anyone at UD could confirm that it was made, and hope they can provide some insight. They're definitely rare (/25 and /10), but I would have suspected that at least one would appear over the last 12+ months? Or maybe not.

It's the "Generations Six Memorabilia" card and Gold parallel. Supposedly of the following players- Tim Lincecum, Willie McCovey, Gaylord Perry, Juan Marichal, Barry Zito, and Omar Vizquel.

Think it's possible/likely that they never made it to production? Or is it possible they were held back for redemptions or replacements? Will UD even know? I've actually had good luck with requesting similar info in the past from them. I certainly do not want to be chasing these cards if they're ghosts!

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
I know a few cards from the patch set were not released in packs but ended up being given out as replacements.It is possible that this is the case here.
Mike

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
hofmichael said:
I know a few cards from the patch set were not released in packs but ended up being given out as replacements.It is possible that this is the case here.
Mike

Could be. I'd assume some of the Vizquels would have shown on Ebay by now.

Same deal with the Eddie Murray's. He was on 4-6 more cards if I recall that I've yet to see a copy of.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
This has come up before, I think.

There are at least 2 Billy Williams cards on the checklist and listed on Beckett that were never made.

I assume the same is true for other players.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
chashawk said:

There are at least 2 Billy Williams cards on the checklist and listed on Beckett that were never made.

Not doubting you at all, but are you just assuming b/c they never popped up? Or did you get some confirmation from them?

Anyone else know with certainly what the accurate checklist is?

Bigfan5

Aug 7, 2008
I think your best bet will be to hear back from UD directly. I've had the same problem with the patch set and even though I thought certain cards didn't exist, some have popped up many months later.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
VizquelCollector said:
chashawk said:

Not doubting you at all, but are you just assuming b/c they never popped up? Or did you get some confirmation from them?

Anyone else know with certainly what the accurate checklist is?
no confirmation from UD, but 2 cards of Billy Williams numbered /26 and /20 and not a single copy of either has ever shown up for sale.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
starwarsfan2003 said:
I've had the same issue with a few Markakis cards that were in the same subsets your talking about. I've slowly seen them trickle out on Ebay, albeit few and far between, and my gut tells me they are being issued as replacements. Here's one as an example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-Ult-Cal-Ripken ... 45f8c16f01

Ugh, don't tell me that!

chashawk said:
no confirmation from UD, but 2 cards of Billy Williams numbered /26 and /20 and not a single copy of either has ever shown up for sale.

OK, thanks for the details. I'm actually hoping they weren't made so I don't have to stare at these holes in my list for a long time. If they're really held back as redemptions, it seems reasonable to me that few will make it out and the few that do may never hit the open market.

I'll post what I find out from UD, if I ever hear back.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
Update.

Not surprisingly, Chris came through again. They actually spent some time researching and by all indications, the 2 cards I'm looking for were inserted into packs. Kudos to Chris and his team for caring, despite the fact 1) they don't produce baseball cards, 2) I don't buy packs/boxes/cases of cards, and 3) the product is over a year old.

It's both good and bad news in that I have cards to continue chasing, but those holes in my collection will continue to stare at me for the foreseeable future. Chasing 2 cards that have never appeared is a bit unnerving.

So in my experience...

Carlin: 1.000
Carlin's competition: sub-Mendoza.

Thanks Chris!

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
This doesn't make any sense whatsoever if they really were inserted into packs.

This product was busted like CRAZY

There are 2 boxes available on ebay and no cases anywhere.

Not dissing Carlin, but how can there be so many cards that ZERO copies have shown up for sale in over a year of release?

Members online