Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Lockout Coming? No 2011 Season? Well There's Still Madden.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
As a gamer, I'm glad to see there will be a Madden. The bad side of that is that they have another year added on to their exclusive license. I HATE them having the exclusive license. 2K Sports made the superior football game years ago, and Madden now gets to stand around with their johnson in their hand with no competition.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -for-2011/
When faced with the prospect of no NFL football — and, thus, no fantasy football — for 2011, the next question from most fans is this: “There’ll still be Madden, right?”

The answer is yes. And the league recently gave the folks who hold a monopoly on NFL console video games a break for 2011, given the possibility of a work stoppage.

Daniel Kaplan of SportsBusiness Journal reported earlier this week that the NFL has reduced the fee to be paid by EA for 2011. In exchange, the two sides worked out a one-year extension of their contract, through 2013.

“For one of our core partners in a difficult environment, we say let’s look at this, and maybe it makes some sense to extend something out longer and give our partner some relief in the short term but gain something on the back end,” Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver told Kaplan.

The amount of the reduction, and the value of the extension, isn’t known. Kaplan points out that the Wall Street Journal reported last year that EA asked for a $30 million reduction.

EA, which has produced Madden football for more than 20 years, says it’s preparing for the worst-case scenario.

“In terms of the NFL, I can tell you that our base assumption going into the plan is a very conservative one,” Eric Brown, EA’s Chief Financial Officer, told Kaplan. “[W]e’ve baked in, at least in our thinking, the most conservative assumption, meaning no season. We’re optimistic it can be better than that and generate further upside.”

If it “generates further upside,” we’re guessing that EA will pay more money.

Meanwhile, the NFLPA has a separate deal with EA. It’s unknown whether that deal will be adjusted in any way. From the players’ perspective, there’s simply no reason to give anything back, especially since that money will be part of the lockout fund.

Bottom line? If there’s no football on Sundays this fall, you can just spend those 12 hours playing Madden.

Good luck selling that alternative to your wife and/or significant other.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
unless they plan to overhaul everything.....it really doesn't matter either way.

Just my opinion - but last year was the most broken, and non-fun version to date.
Couldn't believe there were actually less features than the last version I had (which was a couple years ago).
Seems EA is focusing on online and micro-transactions and the gameplay and stuff a "sim" player would want has gone to hell.

The only cool thing in last years game was Ultimate Team - as a mode it also has a ton of problems.......but it's fun to collect and buy the cards. :D Kind of sad, but that mode has helped with the fact I am so broke I've had no money for any actual cards for some time.

seahawks4ever

Apr 24, 2009
Washington State
I don't play a whole lot of video games anymore and sold a bunch of them. You know which game survived in my collection? ESPN NFL 2K5. STILL the best football game I've ever played.

hookem99

Oct 30, 2010
seahawks4ever said:
I don't play a whole lot of video games anymore and sold a bunch of them. You know which game survived in my collection? ESPN NFL 2K5. STILL the best football game I've ever played.
Really 2K5 was great for its time and for 20 dollars it was a hell of a game but it doesnt beat the recent maddens they took what was cool about that game and improved on it, so i cant say that 2K5 is still better. But it would be nice to see EA have some competition so they step up their game a bit

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
hookem99 said:
seahawks4ever said:
Really 2K5 was great for its time and for 20 dollars it was a hell of a game but it doesnt beat the recent maddens they took what was cool about that game and improved on it, so i cant say that 2K5 is still better. But it would be nice to see EA have some competition so they step up their game a bit
Well of course the new games have more than 2k5, they've had five years to build on things. If 2K Sports still had an NFL license, they would easily have the superior football product. Madden gets progressively worse every year. I only look forward to it because I have no other NFL game alternative.

Members online

Latest posts