Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

UD Ultimate Collection/Topps Sterling/Prime Cuts

Which is the better product?

• 2008 UD Ultimate Collection

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
I think you should clarify on the definition of "better".

What may be better for one person may be worse for another.

If I am a player collector of a modern day player, then it would be ud ultimate collection.

If I love topps retired products, then obviously sterling.

If I like premium game used of old deceased guys and cut autos, then prime cuts.

If i'm a prospector, maybe prime cuts, but maybe not if i'm looking to save money.

If I like the high end thrill, it could be prime cuts or sterling.

If i'm looking for value, maybe ultimate collection, at it's current value.

If cost doesn't matter, maybe sterling or prime cuts.

If I'm a ruth collector, sterling.

If i'm a shoeless joe collector, then prime cuts.

If I like single jersey swatches of victor martinez, then ultimate.

Please specify so we can give you a more educated response.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
Pretty shocked so far...

Prime Cuts - sure there are pospects...but for the most part, it is unlicensed stuff of guys that have plenty (excluding Pete Rose).

Topps Sterling - you can't argue with Topps Sterlings job on the jumbo patches...heck, I even bought my first JD Drew card in a while (THANKS BEEFYCHEDDAR).

Ultimate Collection - Great player checklist...jumbo patches...on card auto's...heck, on jersey & barrel auto's. I really feel if they had logomen and barrel inserts that were mainly 1/1's...it would be hands down, the winner.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
I think if I don't really collect anything in particular, then finding ultimate at $65 a pack may be the safest thing to open out of the three if you are bored and just need to crack something.

If you want a big hit, prime cuts is a better break than both ultimate and sterling cause your odds are much better at hitting something that would sell for over $300.

Honestly, sterling is the worst product in terms of bang for your buck. Loose packs can be searched for the patch topper, and your odds are way against you at hitting something that would even get close to recouping your pack price- it's the most expensive, and the most difficult to hit something to recoupe you initial price.

In a nut shell, if you're bored, crack ulitmate.

If you are in a gambling mood, crack prime cuts.

If you are simply on crack, crack topps sterling. (at the current prices, that is...)

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
brouthercard said:
I think if I don't really collect anything in particular, then finding ultimate at $65 a pack may be the safest thing to open out of the three if you are bored and just need to crack something.

If you want a big hit, prime cuts is a better break than both ultimate and sterling cause your odds are much better at hitting something that would sell for over $300.

Honestly, sterling is the worst product in terms of bang for your buck. Loose packs can be searched for the patch topper, and your odds are way against you at hitting something that would even get close to recouping your pack price- it's the most expensive, and the most difficult to hit something to recoupe you initial price.

If you are simply on crack, crack topps sterling. (at the current prices, that is...)

took ya long enough to get here!

dave

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
brouthercard said:

So Ultimate?

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
Adamsince1981 said:
Pretty shocked so far...

Prime Cuts - sure there are pospects...but for the most part, it is unlicensed stuff of guys that have plenty (excluding Pete Rose).

Topps Sterling - you can't argue with Topps Sterlings job on the jumbo patches...heck, I even bought my first JD Drew card in a while (THANKS BEEFYCHEDDAR).

Ultimate Collection - Great player checklist...jumbo patches...on card auto's...heck, on jersey & barrel auto's. I really feel if they had logomen and barrel inserts that were mainly 1/1's...it would be hands down, the winner.

100% agree---it hurts UD though losing all the HOFers to Topps like they did....if they were in the product, for me, Ultimate would have been the product of the year for HOFer/Stars.......however I gave the nod to Sterling merely on the basis of the better hits.

Donruss loses for a few reasons---the inclusion of the RCs, the sticker AUTOs (I know sterling had them but at least they look good with sterling), and the overall dumping of their inventory making the decline in prices continue........I bet the people that bought Pete Rose's SportKings stuff are somewhat kicking themselves--but at least that unlicensed product is on the card....

TK

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
daveyou said:
brouthercard said:

dave

Hey Dave,

good to see you bud!

After a long nagging from fugazzi, he finally convinced me to sign on, I mean, I'm only 380++ screens late! :lol: It was actually kind of fun being a lurker for a while! :lol:

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Adamsince1981 said:
brouthercard said:

So Ultimate?

If I had a sealed case, I would open prime cuts. But then again, I'm usually in a gambling mood :lol:

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
pujolsthomefan33 said:
Adamsince1981 said:
Pretty shocked so far...

100% agree---it hurts UD though losing all the HOFers to Topps like they did....if they were in the product, for me, Ultimate would have been the product of the year for HOFer/Stars.......however I gave the nod to Sterling merely on the basis of the better hits.

Donruss loses for a few reasons---the inclusion of the RCs, the sticker AUTOs (I know sterling had them but at least they look good with sterling), and the overall dumping of their inventory making the decline in prices continue........I bet the people that bought Pete Rose's SportKings stuff are somewhat kicking themselves--but at least that unlicensed product is on the card....

TK

Prime Cuts has custs and some colorful hits of some veterans that have a good amount of auto's and colorful hits already....but after that, it really doesn't do much for me...how an unlicensed product with stickergraphs is winning is crazy. But to each his own.

UD has really impressed me with this Ultimate Collection release.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
cgilmo said:
http://freedomcardboard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=20955

Yeah, that poll has 4 that shouldn't be there and is missing 1 that should.

I already voted though.

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
brouthercard said:
daveyou said:
brouthercard said:

dave

Hey Dave,

good to see you bud!

After a long nagging from fugazzi, he finally convinced me to sign on, I mean, I'm only 380++ screens late! :lol: It was actually kind of fun being a lurker for a while! :lol:

just glad u made it over finally, buddy!

we doing just minors jerseys this year or what?? :lol:

dave

btw, on topic, i like

1) prime cuts (rose, jackson, amazing patches, getting a chance at a decent inserts or game used if you miss on the encased hit)
2) ultimate collection (on card auto finally, amazing jumbo patches and quad patch autos, barrel autos, etc. however, there are no real HITS like a 1/1 or something. it was always jeter, griffey, pujols, ripken as the big names but i realized no more pujols and upper deck?)
3) topps sterling (cut autos, bat barrels, jumbo patches and fold out patches are amazing as well as getting a chance at a 1/1 jumbo patch in the box topper. sickest patches i've seen on some cards. however, it is such a hit or miss product and it is mostly a miss. i mean, a ruth 3x bat #/10, you can pick up for a price of a box. guys like clemente, jackie, honus, cobb, selling for less than 75? jumbo jersey 1/1 of phil niekro?? ugh!

dave

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
cgilmo said:
Adamsince1981 said:
cgilmo said:
http://freedomcardboard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=20955

Yeah, that poll has 4 that shouldn't be there and is missing 1 that should.

I already voted though.

it still gives you a good view of prime cuts vs topps sterling, the two best hall of fame products to come out this year.

That is really impressive that Prime Cuts beat out Topps Sterling...there is a very good collection of sports card minds on this board, so I feel pretty comfortable saying that they did indeed beat Sterling.

And I guess, other than the jumbo patches...I like Prime Cuts over Sterling...if Ultimate had the big hit potential it would be my favorite w/o even mentioning the others.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
daveyou said:
2) ultimate collection (on card auto finally, amazing jumbo patches and quad patch autos, barrel autos, etc. however, there are no real HITS like a 1/1 or something. it was always jeter, griffey, pujols, ripken as the big names but i realized no more pujols and upper deck?)

dave

I will say that I was searching newly listed Tulo's even more than usual because I figured I could pick up my 3rd Tulo logo man out of this product. So that is my knock...no 1/1 hits.

** bring on the checklist jokes! :D

Viking4Alpha

Aug 10, 2008
This year's UC IS the balls. I'm lovin the on card autos. The only thing that irks me is the bajillion parallels. I've seen what seems like 10 different Ripken patch auto cards with the same design all numbered to /5. Only difference being the number of patches.

I love Prime Cuts. They've got a great thing going. I just would never bust a box.

Topps Sterling? My vote isn't the popular one, but give me Topps Sterling 08 over the other two everyday of the week. Never have I seen such insane patches in my life and are all jumbo at that.

I should probably mention that I am a singles collector and do not bust. If I were a manic box buster, I would probably go with Ultimate.

Members online

Latest posts