Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jim Edmonds retires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
ThoseBackPages said:
did he unnecessarily dive to the microphone to make the announcement?
though Edmonds has made unnecessary dives before he also made many necessary leaps and diving catches he was one of the best and was fun to watch play the game. I was at the 2004 NLDS Game 7 and that catch was ridiculous. I'm glad to see him retire with the birds across his chest.

DRav87

Aug 11, 2008
Wisconsin
JackLondon said:
One of my favorite Angels.

His catch against the Royals is still the greatest catch I have ever seen. :)

[youtube:fq8ew6xd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNcM7g9SQ3w[/youtube:fq8ew6xd]

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
Back in 2001 my first "big" pull was a 2001 Upper Deck Pros & Prospects Jim Edmonds Gold Then and Now dual jersey card numbered 09/25. I sold it for a good chunk of change but kind of regret selling it. I was able to pick up one similar to it about a year ago for just a few bucks...
edmondspros25.jpg

I'll always remember my first big pull, thanks to Edmonds....

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
marhjan said:
Because it needs to be asked... HOF worthy? My initial gut reaction is he just misses, but on further review...

Career WAR #63 all time
Career WAR by a CF #5 all time
and Joe Posnanski's article naming Edmonds the best CF since Willie Mays not named Griffey.

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2011/02/17/m ... h-numbers/

anyway, worthy of discussion at least...
I think it will kind of depend on who's eligible for the hall in 2015 I don't think he is a first ballot but he goes in eventually

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
See all the people who that him signing with the Cards again was anything more then this. SAM BANKS ;)
When they signed him, I was thinking only so he could retire a Cardinal and nothing more. Good for him
I liked to watch him play and hated to watch him hit against my Cubbies.

exigussrex

Sep 17, 2010
los angeles
I was lucky enough to see him play many times with the Angels, and I even got to meet him. He was nice enough to give me one of his game-used bats with a sweet signature in silver sharpie. Definitely one of my prized possessions.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
My opinion of Edmonds is this:

He was just slow enough to have to make incredilble catches. In short Edmonds had to dive to get to balls that others made routinely. I think he totally got the most out of his ability (and maybe more if Big Mac had a chemical effect on Jim), I just think his fielding was a little overrated.

jmill88

Dec 22, 2010
St. Louis, MO
jbhofmann said:
My opinion of Edmonds is this:

He was just slow enough to have to make incredilble catches. In short Edmonds had to dive to get to balls that others made routinely. I think he totally got the most out of his ability (and maybe more if Big Mac had a chemical effect on Jim), I just think his fielding was a little overrated.

I have to disagree with this. I don't think he was slow, but he played VERY shallow. I also think he dove to make it look good on a lot of balls that he could have caught without diving.

He was a good player, but I don't see him getting into the HOF.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I realize that speed always doesn't equate to the basepaths but Edmonds career SB numbers are mind numbingly low (67) with a season high of 10. He just seemed like a real stiff guy that wasn't really fluid. Maybe I'm in the minority, and maybe I just dislike the Cards (Reds fan), but he was just a really solid player.

jmill88

Dec 22, 2010
St. Louis, MO
jbhofmann said:
I realize that speed always doesn't equate to the basepaths but Edmonds career SB numbers are mind numbingly low (67) with a season high of 10. He just seemed like a real stiff guy that wasn't really fluid. Maybe I'm in the minority, and maybe I just dislike the Cards (Reds fan), but he was just a really solid player.

Reds fan that doesn't like the Cardinals? I'm shocked. Should be fun this year in the central. I'm thinking the Reds will take it again, but I hope I'm wrong.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
Stiff on the basepaths? Made dives that were unnecessary? Nitpicking. He was a power hitting, well above average defensive centerfielder. Those type of guys don't come around very often. 6 straight years of 137 or higher OPS+ and positive dWAR. HOF'er? My guess is he comes up a bit short but Jim Edmonds had a great career and was an exciting and valuable player.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
Congrats Jim Edmonds on a great career. One of my favorite guys to watch when he was on the Angels. I don't think he'll make the HOF, but he was a good player.

Members online

Latest posts