Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How will a possible lockout affect The Football card biz?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Won't affect me

I collect stuff from 1888-2006. The only new stuff I collect are UD products, because I'm way more of a college football fan

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
Is someone from UD really here? Its good to have you here, I miss SPA this year, oh well.

A lockout wold kill the football market period, even with the hype it is third in popularity compared to basketball and
baseball.

Kevin

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
UpperDeckFootball said:
I am also more of a College Football fan...at least for now ;)

I don't know who you are or if you have any affiliation with UD's product development/design team, but I have a recommendation:

A lower end college set that focuses more on the base set than the "hits." Large and comprehensive base set (300+ cards). Decent price point - 24 packs, $70/box, $3.29/pack. 2 or 3 "hits"/box. Similar to base Upper Deck sets. Plus some sort of Legendary Games, Teams, and Rivalries base subset - 2006 Rose Bowl, 1995 Nebraska, Ohio State-Michigan, respectively. And coach cards.

I'd be all over that

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
The market will go marching on. Cards will be made, and people will buy them. There won't be a big swing in prices on certain singles because of breakout games, but they will still be bought.

UpperDeckFootball

Feb 19, 2011
JoshHamilton said:
UpperDeckFootball said:

I don't know who you are or if you have any affiliation with UD's product development/design team, but I have a recommendation:

A lower end college set that focuses more on the base set than the "hits." Large and comprehensive base set (300+ cards). Decent price point - 24 packs, $70/box, $3.29/pack. 2 or 3 "hits"/box. Similar to base Upper Deck sets. Plus some sort of Legendary Games, Teams, and Rivalries base subset - 2006 Rose Bowl, 1995 Nebraska, Ohio State-Michigan, respectively. And coach cards.

I'd be all over that

2011 Upper deck with be about a 250 card set with a 100 card set that uses the 1991 Upper Deck Football Design (our 1st set)...3 autographs per box(one a lettermen) and some interesting inserts.

we will be doing a 2011 UD College Legends set that uses the famous 1997 Legends design but with all College photography and 3 on card signatures a box! look for some great College Legendary signatures in this one

also....we have an Oklahoma and Texas football set coming in 2011

UpperDeckFootball

Feb 19, 2011
schmidtfan20 said:
Is someone from UD really here? Its good to have you here, I miss SPA this year, oh well.

A lockout wold kill the football market period, even with the hype it is third in popularity compared to basketball and
baseball.

Kevin

SPA will be out middle of March...hate that it is this late but we had quite a few obstacles this year...next year everything will hit in a much more timely manner

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
can card shops, who are forced to buy every product, really survive trying to sell these products when none of these
guys are on the field?? Football has ALWAYS been driven by rookies and they will be doing nothing to prove
themselves, and with Panini's new, only selling to card shops" plan, there will not be big name distributors selling
their products. How many topps products this year were not driven by rookies who were on the field playing??

Kevin

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
UpperDeckFootball said:
schmidtfan20 said:

baseball.

Kevin

SPA will be out middle of March...hate that it is this late but we had quite a few obstacles this year...next year everything will hit in a much more timely manner

Awful timing, collectors will be looking for the news guys by then plus all the heavy products will have already hit like
NT and Topps 5 star, you guys are already at a disadvantage with the whole college thing, but you could of sold
ALOT more product is SPA hit a few weeks ago.

Kevin

UpperDeckFootball

Feb 19, 2011
schmidtfan20 said:
UpperDeckFootball said:
schmidtfan20 said:

baseball.

Kevin

Awful timing, collectors will be looking for the news guys by then plus all the heavy products will have already hit like
NT and Topps 5 star, you guys are already at a disadvantage with the whole college thing, but you could of sold

Kevin

no doubt, the timing is very poor...but the product is strong and there really isnt much of it. each box will still get an auto rookie patch and 2 additional signatures, each case will have a few hot boxes with i think up to 8 autos per box

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Lockout will not impact me at all as long as the cards are good. Will Peyton have any on card Tennessee autographs in future products? In addition, does UD plan to give the shadow box production numbers? I only saw a handful of Mannings and have yet to see a signed copy. Thanks for taking the time to communicate!

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
UpperDeckFootball said:
schmidtfan20 said:
UpperDeckFootball said:
schmidtfan20 said:

baseball.

Kevin

Kevin

no doubt, the timing is very poor...but the product is strong and there really isnt much of it. each box will still get an auto rookie patch and 2 additional signatures, each case will have a few hot boxes with i think up to 8 autos per box

will these be sticker auto or on card?

Kevin

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
UpperDeckFootball said:
JoshHamilton said:
UpperDeckFootball said:

I'd be all over that

2011 Upper deck with be about a 250 card set with a 100 card set that uses the 1991 Upper Deck Football Design (our 1st set)...3 autographs per box(one a lettermen) and some interesting inserts.

we will be doing a 2011 UD College Legends set that uses the famous 1997 Legends design but with all College photography and 3 on card signatures a box! look for some great College Legendary signatures in this one

also....we have an Oklahoma and Texas football set coming in 2011

Oh, boy. Time to start saving up. Both those sets sound awesome

You should have released the UT/OU set last November. I could have used those mobilehoma cards as kindling in my winter bonfires. Or I could have saved a lot of money on toilet paper. Hook Em

UpperDeckFootball

Feb 19, 2011
RITM said:
Lockout will not impact me at all as long as the cards are good. Will Peyton have any on card Tennessee autographs in future products? In addition, does UD plan to give the shadow box production numbers? I only saw a handful of Mannings and have yet to see a signed copy. Thanks for taking the time to communicate!

only a handful of players ended up signing the Shadow Box cards..Manning was not one of them..but we will have some hard signed Tennessee cards in the future

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
UpperDeckFootball said:
RITM said:

only a handful of players ended up signing the Shadow Box cards..Manning was not one of them..but we will have some hard signed Tennessee cards in the future

Do you have a confirmed list of Shadow Box autos? I have $250 cash sitting here for a Colt McCoy. I have no idea if an auto version exists or not. If it doesn't, I'd like to spend the money elsewhere

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
So Manning does not have a signed UT shadow box card? I was told on the UD facebook page that the card existed. Either way I look forward to some on card UT related stuff soon.

On another note has UD considered only doing white pro swatches on his collegiate themed cards? I understand that it is not always possible to put collegiate worn jersey swatches on cards. However, at least Peyton wore white in college. I can't bring myself to buy a Manning card with a blue jersey swatch on the card. Thanks again,

Members online