Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1989 Donruss Grand Slammers purple variation question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
With today's mail, I added the green variation and finished off my Ellis Burks 1989 Donruss Grand Slammers rainbow:

1989_donruss_gs_green_12.jpg

1989_donruss_gs_purple_12.jpg

1989_donruss_gs_12.jpg

What's with the purple variation? The card is narrower than the other two, the picture quality is better, the back border has a different color (could be whiter/brighter stock,) and the back top/bottom borders have a black square in them. The overall quality of the card reminds me of Topps Tiffany sets.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
The 2008 Standard Catalog states that there are as many as five border-color variations on the front of each card, but the prices are not effected

Dec 10, 2008
You're missing the green/blue, and purple/red.

The purple is from a factory set; you can tell by the rounded corners caused from the cellophane wrapping.

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Factory set it is. Do all of the factory sets have the black squares on the back borders?

As for the rainbow, based on my research (along with assistance from fellow FCB members) I concluded that Burks had only the green/purple/red variations. Does every player have all of the colors?

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Yes, every player has all the colors. My Winfield card has the black bars on the purple/red version, so I'm not sure about the deal with those.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
You're actually missing three, don't forget the blue/purple without the factory line. Not sure why I didn't put this picture up in the error/variation guide.

don4.jpg
don3.jpg

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
Wow! Thanks for posting that image. I actually went through the variations post looking for something like that. :)

Members online

Latest posts