Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Learned something new today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
So, I have been reading the Phil Rizzuto biography that came out las year, Scooter, and today I read in it that when the Yankees signed Rizzuto he told them that he was 17 when he was actually 18, and that back in the 30's and 40's this was rather common. It said that Tommy Henrich took 4 years off of his age and also Pee Wee Reese, in his final year was listed as 38 but he came out and confessed that he was actually 42.

mjsch

Feb 16, 2011
Kansas
That is pretty interesting. I can see Pee Wee and Tommy's motivation to say they were younger than they were, but what was Phil's?

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
ThoseBackPages said:
is that where Pujols learned this? :)
hahaha. That is why I brought it up. Every thread involving Pujols that gets mentioned. But there really are a lot of similarities between the latin players who do it now and the players bak then. A lot of the players back then were the sons of immigrants and grew up in pooor. Gehrig, Rizzuto, the DiMaggios, Lazzeri, Crosetti etc. and age is a big factor, the younger the better.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
mjsch said:
That is pretty interesting. I can see Pee Wee and Tommy's motivation to say they were younger than they were, but what was Phil's?
Rizzuto said that everyone he talked to told him to knock a year off of his age bc back then the thought was that once you turned 30 the teams thought you were through and they would look to replace you.

mjsch

Feb 16, 2011
Kansas
elmalo said:
Rizzuto said that everyone he talked to told him to knock a year off of his age bc back then the thought was that once you turned 30 the teams thought you were through and they would look to replace you.

Ahh... so 40 really is the new 30. :lol:

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
mjsch said:
elmalo said:

Ahh... so 40 really is the new 30. :lol:
Apparantly. There was no HGH back then. hahaha

Members online

Latest posts