Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Preparing for milestones

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Well I missed out on Jeter to some degree and his cards have already jumped a bit in anticipation of 3000 hits, so I figured it was time to focus on the next guy... Arod.

Snagged 5 of these for $72 per, which is a couple of bucks above current market value, but I'm anticipating a big season from Arod, and he should reach 3000 hits and 2000 RBI in 2012, 700 homers and 2000 runs in 2013 and go from there, so I could see these showing some nice solid returns with not all that much risk (even if he gets injured I can't imagine they drop all that much.)

$(KGrHqUOKpgE0VlzV(nPBNY)-KZzIw~~_12.jpg

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
i agree with your line of thinking.

that being said, ive not priced any out, but i still feel there is money to be made in PSA 8 Jeter & Alex Rodriguez SP rookies

i know, i know, "its psa", but the buy in is lower then bgs 8.5, and bgs 8's look like ****

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
There wasnt much of a jump at all when he hit his 600th home run. I could see him ending up with 800 homers 3000 hits and the rbi record though.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Pujols 2,000 Hits
Thome 600 HRs
Manny 5000 Total Bases
Arod 500 2B

Probably not milestones that would create a spike in cards, but I thought I would mention them reguardless.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
scotty21690 said:
Pujols 2,000 Hits
Thome 600 HRs
Manny 5000 Total Bases
Arod 500 2B

Probably not milestones that would create a spike in cards, but I thought I would mention them reguardless.
I think 3000 hits is probably the hitting milestone that turns the most heads these days. Of course, a lot depends on the player. Reality is that Jeter's 3000 will get more attention than Jeter, and Biggio's got little attention in the big markets. Arod is a guy that gets a nice amount of attention, and with the milestones he is reaching, people will have to start talking about where he compares with the great hitters of all time.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Topnotchsy said:
scotty21690 said:
Pujols 2,000 Hits
Thome 600 HRs
Manny 5000 Total Bases
Arod 500 2B

I think 3000 hits is probably the hitting milestone that turns the most heads these days. Of course, a lot depends on the player. Reality is that Jeter's 3000 will get more attention than Jeter, and Biggio's got little attention in the big markets. Arod is a guy that gets a nice amount of attention, and with the milestones he is reaching, people will have to start talking about where he compares with the great hitters of all time.
Jeters getting 3000 is going to be huge, with him being on the Yankees, being the first Yankee to do it and being the most recognizable fae in baseball. I think the steroid thin hurts ARod a lot. The sp's saw a huge spike when he hit his 500th hr, but tat the time everyone wanted him to be the "clean" hr champ and we know how that turned out. I wonder what the reaction is going to be when he gets close to Aaron and Bonds. Should be interesting. He will end his career with some crazy numbers, but I wonder how much the steroid thing will come into play. He already had a lot of haters, that just added to it.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
elmalo said:
Topnotchsy said:
scotty21690 said:
Pujols 2,000 Hits
Thome 600 HRs
Manny 5000 Total Bases
Arod 500 2B

Jeters getting 3000 is going to be huge, with him being on the Yankees, being the first Yankee to do it and being the most recognizable fae in baseball. I think the steroid thin hurts ARod a lot. The sp's saw a huge spike when he hit his 500th hr, but tat the time everyone wanted him to be the "clean" hr champ and we know how that turned out. I wonder what the reaction is going to be when he gets close to Aaron and Bonds. Should be interesting. He will end his career with some crazy numbers, but I wonder how much the steroid thing will come into play. He already had a lot of haters, that just added to it.
For some reason, maybe it's simply time, maybe it's other factors, people seem to have quieted about the 'Roids when it comes to Arod as compared to guys like Bonds where it seems to be the first thing mentioned. Not sure how it will play in when he approaches some records since that seems to be when many people start taking issue, but I like the chances on these.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
Topnotchsy said:
elmalo said:
Topnotchsy said:
scotty21690 said:
Pujols 2,000 Hits
Thome 600 HRs
Manny 5000 Total Bases
Arod 500 2B

For some reason, maybe it's simply time, maybe it's other factors, people seem to have quieted about the 'Roids when it comes to Arod as compared to guys like Bonds where it seems to be the first thing mentioned. Not sure how it will play in when he approaches some records since that seems to be when many people start taking issue, but I like the chances on these.
It has affected his prices quite a bit. I sold my sp bgs 9 and all of my autos of him when i found out he was a roider. Before that i was going to hold atleast the sp and wanted a bgs 9 die cut and a red holo, now i wouldn't pay half of what i would have before and i am sure i am not the only one. With that said i can see money made with cards bought under 100 (8.5 sps etc) but would not buy high end of his even for what might seem like a steal.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Krom said:
It has affected his prices quite a bit. I sold my sp bgs 9 and all of my autos of him when i found out he was a roider. Before that i was going to hold atleast the sp and wanted a bgs 9 die cut and a red holo, now i wouldn't pay half of what i would have before and i am sure i am not the only one. With that said i can see money made with cards bought under 100 (8.5 sps etc) but would not buy high end of his even for what might seem like a steal.

It could be my perception is wrong, but I was comparing him to guys like Bonds and Palmeiro. Rodriguez definitely took a hit in the hobby and there are some (many) who would not touch his cards, but I don't think it is to the level of Bonds and Palmeiro in the way that they completely discount his performance (as many do for those guys.) It could be because there is the assumption that now he is clean and still playing. Who knows...

bikerider60

Aug 8, 2008
Jackson, NJ
Topnotchsy said:
Well I missed out on Jeter to some degree and his cards have already jumped a bit in anticipation of 3000 hits, so I figured it was time to focus on the next guy... Arod.

Snagged 5 of these for $72 per, which is a couple of bucks above current market value, but I'm anticipating a big season from Arod, and he should reach 3000 hits and 2000 RBI in 2012, 700 homers and 2000 runs in 2013 and go from there, so I could see these showing some nice solid returns with not all that much risk (even if he gets injured I can't imagine they drop all that much.)

$(KGrHqUOKpgE0VlzV(nPBNY)-KZzIw~~_12.jpg

Well on the other hand I picked up 15 Jeter SP's all raw last Winter. I payed on average $55 a card. Sent them all in for grading.. 1 BGS 9.5 sold it made my money back + profit 4 fold... this included 30 Topps,20 Bowman RC I also picked up at that time. 4 more SP's graded BGS 9 then the others.. 5- BGS 8.5's , 3- BGS 8 and two 7's . Just sold a BGS 8 the other day for 90.00 + . I wish I held the 9.5 prices are rising.
Photo0034.jpg

I still have these Arods ...
94dcarod.jpg
94sparod.jpg
Also one more SP that is not scanned. I have a feeling he will have a great year in 2011. Good Luck picking up his cards. Sold this bad boy once his PED scandal hit, now you can pick it up on the cheap.

94llarodgm.jpg

Matsuicollector

Aug 7, 2008
I'm hoping to make a nice return on the 13 94 A-rod Sp's I picked up for $20/per. Hopefully you're right with your line of thinking.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts