Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Are the Mets doomed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
Given their current financial state, are the Mets and their ownership ultimately doomed? Will they be forced to sell a greater stake in the team?

This ownership makes it very difficult to even cheer for the team. Yes, I am a Yankees fan and have been since the 70's. However, I am also a NY fan and enjoy watching the Mets as well. With the news that they have taken a loan from MLB in November and the fact they are looking to sell up to 25% of the team, is this a sign that the Wilpons (IMO shouldn't own the team in the first place) are destined for a full sale?

rehmus

Mar 10, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
i dont think the sale of a team makes them doomed.

i think a crappy farm system and giving enormous contracts to the wrong players over and over and over again makes them doomed.

so yes, they are doomed.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
They are going to sell alot of Ike Davis jerseys this year, I think Davis is going to be really good this year. I don't think the Mets are doomed but they need to get some big sponsors. Oh and learn how to run a baseball team.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
The Wilpon ownership and the Mets chances for the next 5 years or so are doomed. They don't have the money to buy free agents and their farm system is pretty bare due to the financial restraints placed upon then. Wilpon needs to sell his whole stake and new ownership/management should trade everyone(including Wright and Davis) and start over.

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008
Mets are only doomed if the Wilpon's continue to own the majority of the team. I think MLB will "force" them out within the next 3 years.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
I dont see how the Wilpons owning them means they are doomed. IIt keeps getting mentioned that they dont know how to operate a basrball team. Well, that is not what they do. That is what the GM does. The just hired a man who many people think can run a franchise, so we will see.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
elmalo said:
I dont see how the Wilpons owning them means they are doomed. IIt keeps getting mentioned that they dont know how to operate a basrball team. Well, that is not what they do. That is what the GM does. The just hired a man who many people think can run a franchise, so we will see.

The Wilpon's are broke. They don't have the money to buy free agents or keep their own.. For the last several years they have refused to go over slot on their draft picks. Those are money problems and they all land at the feet of the owner.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
elmalo said:

Technically, you're not wrong. However, past history shows that the GM of the Mets was simply a puppet for the owners. He didn't run the team, the owners did. Perhaps this will be different with the new GM and Manager. We'll see. However, if all things remain the same.....doomed.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
SamHell said:
elmalo said:

The Wilpon's are broke. They don't have the money to buy free agents or keep their own.. For the last several years they have refused to go over slot on their draft picks. Those are money problems and they all land at the feet of the owner.
They are far from broke.

rehmus

Mar 10, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
elmalo said:
SamHell said:
elmalo said:

They are far from broke.

they borrowed 25 million last november.

what, exactly, is your definition of broke?

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
elmalo said:
SamHell said:
elmalo said:

They are far from broke.

Is that why they borrowed 25 million from MLB?

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
They only borrowed $25 million after they went through the $75 million MLB previously loaned then

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
craiger122003 said:
True each team gets a 100 mil loan
Are some of these teams even worth 100 mil?

I'd pay at least $255.82 for the Royals. Possibly even $300

Much less if it required living in Kansas City, though

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts