Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What's in your LCS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
As someone who is a hardcore collector of a couple players, as well as someone who enjoys building low-print-run modern sets, I'm always frustrated by not finding the cards I need, simply because they don't show up online. The idea that they might be sitting in some dusty shop display case somewhere, unappreciated, is one of those things that keep me awake at night. So I would like to have this thread be an ongoing listing of notable cards that people might be interested in that are just sitting in a dealer case in your area that are likely to sit there till they become dust.

Please list out the cards, along with prices if you have them, and contact info for the store.

Austin Sports Connection, 512-458-6433, Austin, TX.
2005 Absolute Tools of the Trade Ryne Sandberg, glove/jersey/bat/hat autograph #4/5, $100
2004 Stan Musial bat/jersey #1/5 $150. Not sure what set it's from, it's a Perez paiting like the Hall of Fame Heroes insert
2004 Absolute Tools of the Trade Black 1/1 Todd Helton, no price given
Also several low # 2005 Diamond Kings parallels, including a Miguel Cabrera 1/1.
Several mid-90s Michael Jordan inserts, too. 96 Skybox Z-Force Vortex, 93 Ultra Power in the Key, 96 Skybox No Boundaries, 95 TSC Reign Men. Not sure about pricing on those. They go by some percentage off Beckett.
I'm not sure if ASC will ship by mail, but if anyone's interested in these cards, LMK and I can help you out.

Card Traders of Austin, 512-250-0958, Austin, TX http://www.cardtradersofaustin.com
Haven't looked specifically for inte-resting stuff for this thread yet, but will soon. IIRC, the most interesting things I've seen lately were a couple 1951 Topps Connie Mack Al-l-Stars, a Lou Gehrig and one other. However, the backgrounds are popped off. They still wanted $300 or $400 for the Gehrig. They've got a fair amount of vintage commons and semi-stars, from T-206/205 and up, but pricing seems fairly stiff. If you catch them at the right time, or, more specifically, the right guy behind the counter, they are a little flexible.

shop #1- some ****** bag who likes to text his new hockey arrivals to people who collect baseball... then when you ask him for a price on 3 cases of baseball he neglects to provide a price until he sees the peak price then quotes you that price on his initial order. then when you hit the "discount" boxes he uses beckett high and a small divider... i hope he gets crabs.

shop #2- a guy i used to give all my business to until a good friend who used to work there told me about early morning scale meetings on new releases...

i really need new local shops...

emarc27

Oct 6, 2010
NYC-->St. Louis
notjomommasclint said:
shop #1- some ****** bag who likes to text his new hockey arrivals to people who collect baseball... then when you ask him for a price on 3 cases of baseball he neglects to provide a price until he sees the peak price then quotes you that price on his initial order. then when you hit the "discount" boxes he uses beckett high and a small divider... i hope he gets crabs.

shop #2- a guy i used to give all my business to until a good friend who used to work there told me about early morning scale meetings on new releases...

maybe i sound stupid, but what are scale meetings?

emarc27 said:
notjomommasclint said:

maybe i sound stupid, but what are scale meetings?

he was weighing some of the packs from new releases... "allegedly"

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Way over-priced singles. Over-priced wax.

Great service, but I just can't justify paying that much just 'cuz of that. :(

Matsuicollector

Aug 7, 2008
smapdi said:
As someone who is a hardcore collector of a couple players, as well as someone who enjoys building low-print-run modern sets, I'm always frustrated by not finding the cards I need, simply because they don't show up online. The idea that they might be sitting in some dusty shop display case somewhere, unappreciated, is one of those things that keep me awake at night. So I would like to have this thread be an ongoing listing of notable cards that people might be interested in that are just sitting in a dealer case in your area that are likely to sit there till they become dust.

Please list out the cards, along with prices if you have them, and contact info for the store.

Austin Sports Connection, 512-458-6433, Austin, TX.
2005 Absolute Tools of the Trade Ryne Sandberg, glove/jersey/bat/hat autograph #4/5, $100
2004 Stan Musial bat/jersey #1/5 $150. Not sure what set it's from, it's a Perez paiting like the Hall of Fame Heroes insert
2004 Absolute Tools of the Trade Black 1/1 Todd Helton, no price given
Also several low # 2005 Diamond Kings parallels, including a Miguel Cabrera 1/1.
Several mid-90s Michael Jordan inserts, too. 96 Skybox Z-Force Vortex, 93 Ultra Power in the Key, 96 Skybox No Boundaries, 95 TSC Reign Men. Not sure about pricing on those. They go by some percentage off Beckett.
I'm not sure if ASC will ship by mail, but if anyone's interested in these cards, LMK and I can help you out.

Card Traders of Austin, 512-250-0958, Austin, TX http://www.cardtradersofaustin.com
Haven't looked specifically for inte-resting stuff for this thread yet, but will soon. IIRC, the most interesting things I've seen lately were a couple 1951 Topps Connie Mack Al-l-Stars, a Lou Gehrig and one other. However, the backgrounds are popped off. They still wanted $300 or $400 for the Gehrig. They've got a fair amount of vintage commons and semi-stars, from T-206/205 and up, but pricing seems fairly stiff. If you catch them at the right time, or, more specifically, the right guy behind the counter, they are a little flexible.

This is a great idea for a post. Next time I'm at the card ship I'll definitely keep track of some rare items.

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
A real friendly guy named Jim. I don't even think he uses the internet. Still uses Beckett's and always has baseball on the tv. I really enjoy stopping by even though it can be a bit pricey. It's the same LCS I went to when I was 8 years old (same owner).

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
I have two shops locally(within an hour) of my house.

The one that is the closest has been around for a long time. He's an older guy(supposedly some former hockey prospect from Rhode Island or some crap like that). I used to work at this shop. He has a ton of singles but nothing really worth your time. Most of the decent pulls and singles go straight to ebay which really pisses me off! His wax is pretty current with marginally reasonable pricing(unless you want to buy online) then it becomes grossly overpriced. He has a ton of complete sets for blowout prices. Mostly baseball, basketball, and football, with a little bit of racing and hockey thrown in. He also has some memorabilia for sale. AMC or music is normally being played on his TV and he doesn't have any place for anyone to sit other than one chair.

Shop #2 is a bit farther away but is well situated and organized. The owner has a moderate selection of singles covering baseball, basketball, and football. He does some vintage and higher end singles(Griffey autos, Jeter autos, Favre autos, patches, 1/1's etc.). He has a pretty solid collection of 90's inserts and a variety of older wax boxes at somewhat reasonable prices. He has current wax with great pricing but he doesn't do mid end or high end wax. He cuts deals as well depending on what you're looking for. He has nabs, snacks, candy and drinks available and a decent sized area with tables and chairs for the guys that like to trade or play Magic/YuGiOH/ etc....). Great guy overall.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
My LCS is actually a really nice place but being a player collector there is almost no reason other than to get supplies for me to even go there. I know the owner keeps his eyes open for stuff for me at all the shows he attends but I've only managed to score about 5 inserts from him in the 3 years I've been back collecting and going to his shop off and on. Its not a surprize though because even Ebay is tough at times for me to find stuff I need..

Members online

Latest posts