Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What would YOU get autographed???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Not-so-quick backstory: When I first started collecting baseball cards in 1987, I was (like most teenaged boys) a pure bandwagon rider. I liked teams and players who were doing well at the time (why else would a kid from Pittsburgh love those '85 Bears???). The Pirates were lousy, and my dad had just taught me the beauty of reading box scores in the daily newspaper. By the end of April, I had started to worship and collect Jack Clark, Dale Murphy and Kirby Puckett. To this day, I still collect these three, although most Puckett stuff is now out of my price range.

In 2001, when Puckett was inducted into the HOF, I went to Cooperstown for induction weekend. Even though I didn't get his autograph, I got to ask him a question at an ESPN-televised Q&A session the day after induction ceremonies. My question: "What current player most reminds you of yourself." His answer: "Cristian Guzman." Puckett was on stage, I was standing at a microphone, 30 feet away, in case anyone is wondering why I didn't get his autograph. Since then, I have bought a few Puckett-autographed cards, a ball, and a bat.

Two years ago, I got to meet Jack Clark at The National in Cleveland. We talked for a couple of minutes, he was very nice, and I got him to sign a mini-helmet, a cap, and a 16x20. Awesome experience.

Now, that only leaves Murphy, who will be signing at the CSA show in Philly in the middle of April. I can't wait to meet him. I already own a signed bat and ball, a signed 16x20, and several cards courtesy of of ebay. I think autograph tickets are a good price at $30 each, so I'm planning on getting three things signed. I'm planning on getting a mini-helmet, a cap, and something else. I just can't decide what that something else should be.

I thought about a jersey, but they cost too much to frame nicely. I don't think it's worth getting cards or photos signed, since I already have some of those. Since Murphy won five Gold Gloves, I'm thinking about a glove, but I haven't found one that I like.

If you were me, what would you get Dale Murphy to sign? What are some things (maybe unique?) that you've gotten signed in person that you would recommend?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions. Sorry I rambled on so long!!!

colts1888

Aug 28, 2008
NY
I would get a magazine signed im sure hes been on a cover and when framed magazines look pretty sweet

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Jheywardfan said:
I was the one sitting next to Jack Clark on the autograph stage taking your items and handing them to him.

:D

At the risk of you saying "NO!" I have to ask...did Clark seem like an OK guy? Plus, how did you get a gig like that?

Jheywardfan

Apr 25, 2010
Arlington, TX
Clark was a stand up guy! Very polite....and anytime an athelte is willing to share old stories with you, its a plus.

I work with TriStar at all of the Houston Shows and the Nationals every year.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
gmarutiak said:
In 2001, when Puckett was inducted into the HOF, I went to Cooperstown for induction weekend. Even though I didn't get his autograph, I got to ask him a question at an ESPN-televised Q&A session the day after induction ceremonies. My question: "What current player most reminds you of yourself." His answer: "Cristian Guzman." Puckett was on stage, I was standing at a microphone, 30 feet away, in case anyone is wondering why I didn't get his autograph.
Hm, interesting!

Guzman was actually a decent hitter in his prime. Especially for a SS.

Fun fact of the day:

The 1960's is the only decade to not have any players with at least 20 triples.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I had this exact same issue when I met Glen Perkins.

I spent hours trying to think of some stuff for him to sign, and to be honest, I got a dinky card signed one day, and the next, an SP OMLB.

After it was over, just meeting him was the real fun, and it wasn't walking away with the signed item.

If you have an important card in your collection, I would go with that, or as someone mentioned earlier, a magazine. I am going to have Joe Montana graph me a magazine in April.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
I'm totally joking but am somewhat serious...you should print your OP and get that signed then framed and put it in the middle of the other stuff you got signed by Puckett and Clark :lol: :cool:

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Posters are cool signed, and you can get cheap poster frames at arts & crafts stores. This one is available for $20 on posters57.com. A big signature in the middle of the glowing yellow bat would show nicely.

DaleMurphy.jpg

The blue uniform is begging for a signature on this (added appeal for the card collector in you). Available on eBay.

!B89,K1gBGk~$(KGrHqZ,!lkEy+jCzOeHBM4bH1EI9g~~0_12.jpg

Or track down a high school yearbook. Grace got a huge kick out of it when I had him sign one of his. He pointed out the girls he liked back then.

yearbook_audion.jpg

And of course if you have any game-used items, an auto usually adds value to it.

hat5.jpg

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
mstng99tim said:

We have a winner! I'm hoping the mini Gold Glove will look good with Murphy's signature on one finger, and an inscription (5x Gold Glove Winner) on the next finger.

Of course, magazines, posters, etc. would all look great as well. I might be buying more than three autograph tickets!

Thanks to all of you for your great suggestions.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
This is a sweet poster and it wouldn't be too hard to get both Gooden and Murphy/
stick.jpg

Members online

Latest posts