Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Top Spring Training Prospect Performances for Games of 2/27

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chrisdg19006

Dec 16, 2010
I picked up a Betances 2007 Bowman Chrome auto BGS 9.5 for $55 from the bay this evening. Hopefully that wasnt a dumb decision

braden

Aug 7, 2008
From a recap of the Jays/Tigers game:

SPEED THRILLS: Jays rookie Anthony Gose worked a walk off hard-throwing right-hander Brayan Villarreal in the ninth inning Sunday to put the tying run on first.

Before each pitch, Gose measured off a 12-foot lead, challenging the pitcher to throw over. The battle drew an audience of interested Tigers coaches, one of whom had a stopwatch, down the right-field line near the clubhouse. Gose took off on a full-count strikeout and stole second easily.

“The whole thing was 3.24 (seconds),” one impressed Tigers coach said. “That’s Rickey Henderson territory. It’ll be tough to throw him out.”

Gose proceeded to steal third easily as well, but was stranded to end the game.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
Chrisdg19006 said:
I picked up a Betances 2007 Bowman Chrome auto BGS 9.5 for $55 from the bay this evening. Hopefully that wasnt a dumb decision

Wish I had some of those, if I get yet ANOTHER stupid $100 offer on my blue BGS 9.5 I will scream.

ahill1

Aug 7, 2008
How about a mention of Robinson Chirinos. Pinch hit HR today and 4 RBI's yesterday. Batting a cool .750 and now has 5 RBI's in 2 games

topprospectalert

Aug 7, 2008
Not sure how I missed the Chirnos home run. Had his big day yesterday. If spring training opening day games mean anything, which they don't, the rays racked up on that Garza deal :cool:

ahill1

Aug 7, 2008
topprospectalert said:
Not sure how I missed the Chirnos home run. Had his big day yesterday. If spring training opening day games mean anything, which they don't, the rays racked up on that Garza deal :cool:

Ill agree with you but Archers wildness showed yesterday walking 2 in 1 IP. I thought. I heard his control was getting better but it didn't show yesterday

topprospectalert

Aug 7, 2008
Been doing these in one form or another for 5 years now. So no need to worry about it going anywhere :) I m glad you all enjoy them

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
topprospectalert said:

Yep Chirinos with a pinch hit HR and another 0-fer for Kelly Shoppach. Chirinos = steal of the Garza trade. Archer and Lee were known, but the Rays wanted Chirinos just as much and were looking into a 3-way trade with the Rangers involved in order to land him specifically. A defense first middle infielder is moved to catcher and all of a sudden learns to mash overnight. Chirinos' has Ben Zobrist-type utility value as well. He can play ALL infield positions and catch.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
Joshua.Roundtree said:
topprospectalert said:

Yep Chirinos with a pinch hit HR and another 0-fer for Kelly Shoppach. Chirinos = steal of the Garza trade. Archer and Lee were known, but the Rays wanted Chirinos just as much and were looking into a 3-way trade with the Rangers involved in order to land him specifically. A defense first middle infielder is moved to catcher and all of a sudden learns to mash overnight. Chirinos' has Ben Zobrist-type utility value as well. He can play ALL infield positions and catch.

Slllllllloooooooooooooow down there, fella.

Chirinos has not "learned to mash overnight" after 2 ST games. And, I don't think you have to worry about him having Zobrist-type utility value. Are you telling me he can play SS? There is no way that can, or will, happen. I also can't see him at 3B, or 2B-but who knows. He still has a long way to go just to make the roster-2 games are just that, 2 games.

95vr4

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks for the heads up, just listed this :)

PeguroSuper.jpg

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
hail2thevictors said:
Joshua.Roundtree said:
topprospectalert said:

Slllllllloooooooooooooow down there, fella.

Chirinos has not "learned to mash overnight" after 2 ST games. And, I don't think you have to worry about him having Zobrist-type utility value. Are you telling me he can play SS? There is no way that can, or will, happen. I also can't see him at 3B, or 2B-but who knows. He still has a long way to go just to make the roster-2 games are just that, 2 games.

In 2010, Chirinos hit .324-18HRs with .416/.583/.999OPS last year in AA and AAA, the year before he hit: .294 .396/.519/.915OPS between High-A and AA. Those were his first two FULL seasons as a catcher. Something clicked when he switched, his numbers playing the infield were not nearly as good. PECOTA projections had Chirinos as the Cubs (before trade) 3rd-most productive Hitter on their Major League team for this season. He had only played a handful of AAA games to that point. And yes, he played 2B, SS, AND 3B up to High-A in the Cubs organization before being moved to catcher in the middle of 2008. I wasn't saying he's a MLB SS by any stretch, I was saying his value with his bat and the fact he COULD play multiple positions will give him a VERY good chance to make a Joe Maddon-managed baseball team. His defense is already leaps and bounds better than both Jaso and Shoppach and his bat is out-performing both thus far as well.

Tidbit from a local article over the weekend:

Not bad for someone whose career as an infielder topped out at Double-A. Yet, Chirinos not only reinvented behind the plate, but also at the plate as well.

Defensively, Rays manager Joe Maddon said if he didn't know his history, it would be hard to guess Chirinos has been a catcher for less than three full seasons.

"I would have guessed that he was catching longer," Maddon said.

As a hitter, Maddon said Chirinos has one of the better swings in camp.

"He fights to stay inside the ball probably as good as anybody in this camp," Maddon said. "Technically, he has a very good swing."

Chirinos offered a simple answer to explain his metamorphosis: "I was born for catching, but I didn't know that until after seven years."

Clearer?

Members online