Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

ESPN Top Prospects 26-50

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wes

OG
Administrator
Top 25 is here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25847

I'll post the 26-100 for those who aren't insiders - first 26-50

26 Alderson
Laporta
Matusz
Maybin
30 Fowler
Stanton
Tabata
Wade Davis
Villalona
35 Jarrod Parker
Gordon Beckham
Martin Perez
Pedro Alvarez
Elvis Andrus
40 Chris Tillman
Jordan Walden
Jordan Zimmermann
Brett Cecil
Moustakas
45 Alcides
Austin Jackson
Hellickson
Jason Donald
Jeffress
50 Daryl Jones

The most notable for me is Moustakas being this low - here's what Law says about him:

Moustakas had an odd year, to say the least: He spent the first half of the season as an awful defensive shortstop who couldn't hit a lick (but was young for his league), and the second half as an offensive machine who was sort of passable at third base.

Moustakas has a great swing, a smooth left-hander's stroke with good plate coverage and hard line-drive contact. He has intermittent power; his swing doesn't have great loft, and he needs to get his arms extended to really drive the ball, but it is in there when he gets the opportunity to use it. Physically, Moustakas offers no projection; he's 6-0, around 200 pounds or slightly more, and already thickset, with below-average speed.

He was never going to stay at short, and he may not stay at third, where he was improved but still has a lot of work to do on reading balls and improving reaction times. It has been said before, by me and others, that Moustakas should be behind the plate. He has a 65-70 arm, has a catcher's body, and caught a little bit in high school. The Royals have no catching prospects of note, and any questions about Moustakas' power become irrelevant if he's catching, because his bat will be plus back there at 15 homers a year or 30. As a catcher, he'd be top 20-25 overall.

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
Not really. Law usually makes good lists and even on guys that seem low like Moustakas and Alvarez, he always gives legit reasons why one should be concerned about their future. I see nothing wrong with the list. Obviously I disagree with some of his rankings, but that's the way it goes for any list. Everyone has guys they love and guys they hate.

qualitycards94

Dec 1, 2008
Can't really see mouse ever catching...has he ever caught? I'm not sure they'd sacrifice his bat for a catcher. "The Royals Don't have any catching prospects," they don't really have any prospects Keith.

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
HPC said:
LaPorta and Parker are top 15, not top 30 prospects.

This list has been laughable at best

I am a huge Jarrod Parker fan, and I have never seen him ranked top 15 by anyone. He usually settles in around 29-35.

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
By the way, I'd be wary of posting Insider content here. I know it's frowned upon (or not allowed period) at most forums, as is any subscriber content...

koal

Aug 7, 2008
pujolsjunkie said:
By the way, I'd be wary of posting Insider content here. I know it's frowned upon (or not allowed period) at most forums, as is any subscriber content...

nerd

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
koal said:
pujolsjunkie said:

nerd

Whoa, is this your first post outside the Frazier/Detwiler thread? FCB should send you a plaque.

colts1888

Aug 28, 2008
NY
No Matt Dominguez? the list seems pretty accuarate I dont agree with 40 and beyond some shouldnt be on that list and others should be higher but a pretty good list otherwise

Members online