Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Texas Girls Team was Game 100-0...and has to Apologize!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/preps/a ... winON.html

Reading this makes me furious.

Not only are they trying to force the team to forfeit the win, they have to apologize to the team as well.

The losing team has "learning differences", so that makes it alright to forfeit a win to make them feel special and appreciated? Don't think so.

"victory without honor is a great loss."...what's worse is handing over a win to disabled kids to be politically correct instead of treating them equally, which was to let them play how they play and lose.

"The school has only 20 girls...", then why put together a team if youre going to try and make teams who beat you apologize and forfeit wins..

Sports, and people, never ceases to amaze me

Wes

OG
Administrator
HPC said:
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/preps/articles/2009/01/22/20090122pointwinON.html

Not only are they trying to force the team to forfeit the win, they have to apologize to the team as well.

The losing team has "learning differences", so that makes it alright to forfeit a win to make them feel special and appreciated? Don't think so.

"victory without honor is a great loss."...what's worse is handing over a win to disabled kids to be politically correct instead of treating them equally, which was to let them play how they play and lose.

"The school has only 20 girls...", then why put together a team if youre going to try and make teams who beat you apologize and forfeit wins..

The person who should be apologizing is the person who scheduled this game.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
The article says the kids have learning differences such as: short attention span, trouble concentrating, etc.

So, it's not as if they were playing special ed kids with downs or physical ailments. Basically these sound like the kids who were in the LD classes at my school, so what's the big friggin deal?

These were physically normal, healthy kids, who got pounded by a much better team. This is not their fault, and they shoudln't be apologizing. The other school shouldn't have a team in this league, period.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
chashawk said:
The article says the kids have learning differences such as: short attention span, trouble concentrating, etc.

The 24 second shot clock was 22 seconds too long for them.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
This seems to come up every year. I am sure it has happened lots of times over the years, but the internet has brought all this to everyone instantly.

The team that lost should shut down its basketball program, plain and simple. If they came out for the 2nd half of the game, they deserved to live with the final score.

d

TraderJake

Aug 7, 2008
LLWesMan said:
HPC said:
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/preps/articles/2009/01/22/20090122pointwinON.html

The person who should be apologizing is the person who scheduled this game.

+1
You can't ask athletes not to compete

braden

Aug 7, 2008
notjomommasclint said:
do you really think a team with attention disorders really care about the score now?

Aw, man, we got kill.......hey look at that cloud!

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
I can't imagine these girls were running up the score with alley-oops and throwing the ball off the backboard to themselves. They were probably just hitting their jumpers. Good for them.

G

If they don't want the kids getting their asses handed to them, then don't let them play.

What did they expect to happen? The other team just let them score?

No. You play to win. And if you can win by 100 you should. It's not the kids fault out there who are playing the game that they were put in this situation, but they should play their hardest.

CobraKaiFist-1.jpg

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
I bet the apology took forever since the girls had short attention spans.

We have some
exuse me I'm trying to..
ladies we have..
come on...
ok. we are here
please set back down so
we are...
seriously this is ridiculous
we're sor
COME ON SET DOWN
we're trying to

well you get the point

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
justinmandawg said:

We have some
exuse me I'm trying to..
ladies we have..
come on...
ok. we are here
please set back down so
we are...
we're sor
COME ON SET DOWN
we're trying to

well you get the point

~i almost forgot to laugh~
not funny in the least, kind of a dick thing to say

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
J.O. said:
justinmandawg said:

We have some
exuse me I'm trying to..
ladies we have..
come on...
ok. we are here
please set back down so
we are...
we're sor
COME ON SET DOWN
we're trying to

well you get the point

~i almost forgot to laugh~
not funny in the least, kind of a dick thing to say

Quite funny.

If you have ADHD (like I do), it is EVEN funnier, because you know that's exactly how it is sometimes when you try to do something ;)

Get over yourself JO.

And braden's comment.....f'n hilarious.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
Its funny how those who are ridiculing those kids are using the definition given in the newspaper article to define what a learning difference is. Just a small suggestion, look it up and read a little about it and how it actually effects you. I know it wont change many peoples minds because some of the responses I've read so far show tons of insensitivity and anyone who really thinks there should be pride taken in beating a team 100-0, dont know what sportsmanship is about.

Before people jump all over me, I'm disgusted by how the rules have changed for small children and how now you play to a tie so no one gets their feelings hurt but anyone who thinks a 100-0 is ok, needs to think about it a little more. I remember getting thumped when i was in little league and how that taught me a life lesson but this is not that situation...

Pete14Rose

Aug 13, 2008
Virginia
This falls into the same category as the morons that had dodge ball banned from schools.

There is NOTHING wrong with getting beat 100-0. The kids played, they tried, they lost. Plain and simple. There's no rule saying the other should have let them score to feel better about themselves. Anyone who thinks beating another team 100-0 is "unsportsmanlike" or "wrong" needs to grow a pair and get their heads examined.

My nephews Joe Medwick league team (years ago, he's now 18) got beat 18-0 once. Was he upset? Of course he was. Was it the end of his life? Certainly not. And guess what....he was diagnosed as having ADHD and a slight learning disability....blah, blah all that that I personally don't believe in.....but that's another argument for another day....he's a healthy, functioning 18 yr old that's headed off to college.

Fortunately he didn't have some whiny, little ****** of a coach that demanded an apology from the other team. His coach taught him (and the rest of his team) the same things I taught him....these things happen in life. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. When you lose, you pick yourself up and you try again....always giving it your all. You don't always have to win and you certainly won't always win. That's in sports AND most importantly in life.

I would never teach a child that it's ok to cry and whine and demand an apology after a loss. No matter what the final score was.

Some people in this world really amaze me at how pathetically ridiculous they are.

Members online