Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

ebay buyer mini-rant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
So, I sold a card on Ebay and I had put 300DPI scans of the front and back in the listing. The front of the card is mint. The back scan clearly shows white fuzz on one corner on the back of the card (not significant, but noticeable, card would be about 8.5 overall because of it). A buyer makes a decent offer without asking any questions, I accept. Buyer receives card, and immediately e-mails me saying the the back is "dented" and wants a partial refund or to return the card for a full refund.

I tell him no partial refunds, return it and I'll give him a full refund. This was on Saturday. Now I see that the buyer has listed the card on Ebay for twice what he paid, with ONLY a front scan, and claims it's "mint condition" in the listing ::facepalm:: He has the nerve to complain about clearly displayed damage on a card and then turn around and re-list the card as "mint" condition. :?

Granted a similar copy (no condition mentioned, front scan only) of the same card sold for 50% more than mine did just 14 hours later, so he may get back more than he paid if he sells it.

Now, should I follow up and give him a deadline to return the card? Or just forget about it and hope he doesn't bother to return the "mint condition" damaged card to me? I really don't want to be in the position a few weeks later if the card doesn't sell for his price to have to accept a late return.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
That's an interesting one.

Due to him re-listing the card - I probably would send a message trying to get him to either accept the full-refund or decline it (essentially proving it is suitable).
The problem though is judging from what you posted - he probably wouldn't respond until he sees if the card sells or not. And I'm not sure how that all fits within Ebay policy....judging by how everything else seems to go in the favor of the buyer I wouldn't be surprised if you're stuck at his mercy waiting either way.

It was probably wise not to give in to the partial refund request though, so hopefully it works out for you.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
he probably was looking for a partial refund, and when he did not get it, he decided to keep it. Happens all the time

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
Did you list the fuzz in the description? It’s always best to CYA by doing that. Only offer full refunds, but make him return it w/DC.

And yes, more buyers are doing that- have a loser now who bought a card w/0 defects from me claiming it was SO badly dinged that I must be blind to not have seen it (scan shows NO damage). He tried to haggle me for a partial refund by threatening neg fb if I didn’t pay him off. I reported him to ebay + ebay said he can return the card in the condition it was sent in for a full refund. I fully expect the tool to cut the card in ½ or something else, so I’m videotaping the opening of the package.

Members online