Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Grading Tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Metz1405

Sep 10, 2008
i recently did my first BGS group sub I sent in 6 cards that i thought would have a good shot of getting a 9.5 grade. I ended up only getting one 9.5 and i was a little disappointed with that. I did do awesome on the centering and corners getting a 9.5 or a 10 on every card i sent it but i am having trouble knowing what to look for on the surface grade and how i can improve on getting a better grade on them. Any help would be much appreciated thanks.

Yankees1218

Jan 1, 2010
When i looked at cards to decide, i looked to see any easily visible scratches, pin-pricks, or refractor lines. If i saw nothing, i looked in detail... I dont really know "WHAT" to look for, but just pick the best of a bunch and send them in... If you compare all of your cards together, the best ones are the ones that should do the best, and use those as a template for gradeable cards, if that makes any sense.

StrasburgMania

Jan 7, 2011
Yankees1218 said:
When i looked at cards to decide, i looked to see any easily visible scratches, pin-pricks, or refractor lines. If i saw nothing, i looked in detail... I dont really know "WHAT" to look for, but just pick the best of a bunch and send them in... If you compare all of your cards together, the best ones are the ones that should do the best, and use those as a template for gradeable cards, if that makes any sense.
He also recommended me a loupe and it has done me very well!

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
common flaws-

scratches- some visible to the naked eye, many only visible under loupe

dimples

xfractor lines

peeling (esp on the back of 07 bcdp for ex.)

chipping (common on elites)

how to fix-

Toothpaste, wd40, windex, and a goo gone (not the exact name- check bikerider360’s post about it recently) work on the surface. Obviously, try these on CHEAP chromes first

Soft cloth- like for cleaning glasses- often wipes off chrome gunk

spit on your thumb + rub it in tiny circles on the surface A LOT...gets out minor scratches/dimples etc.

Loupe 10x+ magnification

yeah, some of these tips probably sound funny, but they do work. very rarely do i get < a 9 on my surfaces

Members online