Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

First Time at "The National" - Autograph Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKGrice623

Feb 27, 2011
Hey guys, I am new to the board and have a question. I am thinking about going to the National in Chicago this year. I have never been before, but looking at the ticket packages it looks like the VIP plans give you a bunch of free autographs and shortcuts to the front of the line. Can anyone tell me if this is worth it? Do you even have time to get the free autos they are offering? Or do you wind up standing in line for 3 hours and only using one ticket?

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
It all depends on how many days you plan on attending. I got the VIP package last year that had the double free sets, plus all of the VIP autographs. I went every day, and it was phenomenal. Exhausting, but phenomenal.

I got all of the autographs, but I didn't really spend that much time in line, because I waited until near the end of each signer's alloted time. For instance, if Mike Rozier was signing from 1:00 - 2:30, I didn't get in line until about 2:10 or so. By that time, the line was already dead, and I had a lot more time to see other things. Plus, if I remember correctly, if you're a VIP, you can't get into line until near the end anyway. They call all of the numbers first, then the VIP come last.

You'll see a ton of people milling around waiting for the lines to start (that's right, they'll wait in an unofficial line just so that they can get into the real line), but don't fall for that. Those people are just wasting their time.

If you're only planning on going for a day or two (I wouldn't go any less than two days, there's just too much to see), I wouldn't even think about the VIP package.

Have a great time!

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
This will also be my first time going and am excited. Especially since there will be some HOFers signing!

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
tonsofcommons said:
So I'm planning on going with the SuperVIP pass. Is there any reason to go with the All Access pass?

In my opinion, the SuperVIP is the way to go. You get twice the goodies, including both versions of the annual Topps set. Getting in early as a VIP was a nice bonus last year. It's how I got my Strasburg Heritage card. If I hadn't gotten in early and gone directly to the line, I never would've gotten it. Not to brag (OK, to brag), but I won a Strasburg autographed ball at the Topps town meeting thing. I was the first name that they pulled out of the box. It was an excellent week!

Plus, a lot of VIPs (including myself) were looking to trade autograph tickets last year. That worked out well for everyone involved.

I don't think you get your money's worth if you go with the All Access. The "front of the line" sales pitch isn't that big of a deal, plus, I don't sell anything, so I didn't care if I got free authentications on my stuff. Last year's All Access bonus autographs were Greg Olson and Ben McDonald, if I remember correctly. Just not worth it to me. Of course, this is just my opinion.

One of the best parts of the whole experience was talking to some of the people. Everyone at the FCB booth was great, and the card set looked awesome. It was nice to put some faces with names, and Dirk Hayhurst seemed like a really cool guy.

I wish they had offered free parking last year as part of the SuperVIP in Baltimore. That would've saved me $50.

With that being said, I just saw that the National is coming back to Baltimore again in 2012. I'd better start saving up now!

Members online

Latest posts