Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ripped Off By the USPS - Strasburg Style (Rant)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Well I guess it wasn't enough that someone stole a package sent via UPS off my front porch when I returned from vacation last night (see this thread for details - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=124285).

This morning, I go to my local PO to pick up a Certified flat mailer from Topps, which I know will contain a Strasburg Ref Auto/500.

Guess what - the clerk brings out a ripped mailer, a sticker attached to it stating "Contents Empty", and of course - no card.

So he advises me to refuse the shipment, which I did. It's now on its' way back to TriStar.

The clerk's explanation for this was pretty funny. He tells me that all flat envelopes must go through a machine, and that sometimes the envelopes tear on the way through them. Normally I might believe a story like that, but for such an expensive card? Nope. Some disgruntled USPS worker who probably knows a thing or two about cards made off with it.

So hopefully Topps will have a replacement available. I sent off a PM to Dinanbbs and we'll see what happens.

Ripped off not once, but twice when I decide to take a vacation. I'm literally fuming and think someone's got it in for me. :evil:

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
DINANBBS said:
Jp was this sent Cert Mail correct .... got your pm reading it now...

Yes, Certified mail. Sent you the info you'll need.

Has Topps considered using bubble mailers for these cards? I don't believe those get run through any sort of machine by the USPS.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Jaypers said:
DINANBBS said:
Jp was this sent Cert Mail correct .... got your pm reading it now...

Yes, Certified mail. Sent you the info you'll need.

Has Topps considered using bubble mailers for these cards? I don't believe those get run through any sort of machine by the USPS.
They do any kind of mailer if not over 3/4 in thickness is run thru a sorting machine. I know since 5 people in my family work for the USPS. This can happen from time to time. and thru the shipping process the contents can get separated from the envelope and then becomes lost. I have gotten empty envelopes from the USPS (non thick mailers) with nothing in them or some of the contents missing

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
bummer- not your week jp. i'm really surprised topps doesn't use bubble mailers for those types of items.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Even those these say pre-sorted these do in fact go thru a sorting machine.
If it has this bar-code on it it gets scanned in a machine.
115549821_f7f80a642d.jpg

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
that sucks, one way around the stuff getting taken off your doorstep is get a PO box or have everything sent to work

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
that sucks Jp, I've had some terrible luck with the USPS lately as well. I'm one opened case away from not getting top rated seller status (I'm about $100 in sales away from the threshold). I had a guy open a case against me because he didn't receive a card after two weeks, $5.50 card none the less. I even told the guy in response that the post office was having some delay, it shows I sent it in dlc, I would work things out, just give it some time...... still wasn't enough.

The tracking showed acceptance on Dec. 24 but never made it there. On about Jan. 12 I refunded him the money and day after the case was opened. I checked tracking after, just for the hell of it, and it just so happens the post office delivered the card on Jan. 16. The buyer never sent me an email saying he got the card... so I was out the money (which was such a small amount I didn't really care) and the card... but even worse I have an opened case against me...........all because of the god damn post office.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Thanks to Mike (dinanbbs) for the quick replies. Looking forward to the replacement.

Kudos.

jlecates

Dec 4, 2008
Jaypers said:
Thanks to Mike (dinanbbs) for the quick replies. Looking forward to the replacement.

Kudos.
Damn, JP, sorry to hear about the back-to-back incidents. From that post though, it sounds like Topps helped out. Gotta be some good luck coming your way after this.

David T.

Sep 4, 2008
I think the economy has something to do with a lot of missing mail.
Last Christmas I was amazed at the number of people I spoke with who had Christmas cards show up in the plastic bags because the envelope had been opened and the contents rifled through.
We had 3 different greeting cards show up that way, where the side of the envelope had been slit open.
Those who work for, or have relatives who work for the USPS please don't take this personal.
I'm sure there are plenty of honest folks who work for the post office too.
There's bad apples in every line of work and times are tough.
David

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
I ship and receive about 50,000 packages via USPS/FEDEX/UPS per year. I've probably have about 50 packages or so per year received marked "Received Empty".

USPS profits from it sadly as everything that 'falls out' of a package is auctioned off at a public auction in Atlanta.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
frzg said:
I ship and receive about 50,000 packages via USPS/FEDEX/UPS per year. I've probably have about 50 packages or so per year received marked "Received Empty".

USPS profits from it sadly as everything that 'falls out' of a package is auctioned off at a public auction in Atlanta.

That is so disgustingly unfair its not even funny.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Didn't this happen to Topps and the Ben Revere autos? I think it was Ben Revere. It was definitely a Twins prospect.

Some guy was selling like 75%-80% of the production run for this player's auto (refractors, blues, golds, oranges, etc). I think when the player shipped them back to Topps, they fell off a truck and the USPS sold them via auction to a lucky winner. At least that's how I remember it.

Members online