Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2005 Donruss Biography SCHMIDT GU LAUNDRY TAG?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
I own a bunch from this set and have never seen a patch.....I thought these were all plain jersey....Anyone; ideas?

[ebay:3ijfqfl2]200581871751[/ebay:3ijfqfl2]

$(KGrHqJ,!jYE1JUCsPlRBNbFwIgnK!~~_12.jpg

Juddy

Aug 22, 2010
Rogersville, MO
George - Obviously, I wasn't there when they were produced so I can't say for an absolute 100%, but I do know there were no prime/patch materials assigned during the planning process in any of the 2005 Biography Memorabilia cards. They were all 72pt. cards and would have had to been 96pt. cards in order to use non-standard memorabilia.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
George_Calfas said:
chashawk said:
interesting who the seller is, no?

I have encouraged him to end the listing

PLease don't play holier than thou, George. You did not encourage me to end the listing, nor suggest it.

If someone, who I don't know, sends me a message on eBay, am I supposed to take it as gospel? YOu wrote "Jeff, I am sure you have had this card for a while however the authenticity is questionable. DLP did not make a "Prime" version of this card; all of these were plain jersey to include the autos." How is this encouraging me to end it?

I looked at this card, and combined with 1) the weak laundry tag (i.e. no markings other than washing instructions - no logo or anything like that); 2) comparing the tag to other jerseys online from the 80s and seeing lettering match up, and 3) inspecting the area around the small opening in the card to reveal absolutely no tampering, I feel comfortable in listing the card as what it purports to be.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Jeff N. said:
PLease don't play holier than thou, George. You did not encourage me to end the listing, nor suggest it.

If someone, who I don't know, sends me a message on eBay, am I supposed to take it as gospel? YOu wrote "Jeff, I am sure you have had this card for a while however the authenticity is questionable. DLP did not make a "Prime" version of this card; all of these were plain jersey to include the autos." How is this encouraging me to end it?

I looked at this card, and combined with 1) the weak laundry tag (i.e. no markings other than washing instructions - no logo or anything like that); 2) comparing the tag to other jerseys online from the 80s and seeing lettering match up, and 3) inspecting the area around the small opening in the card to reveal absolutely no tampering, I feel comfortable in listing the card as what it purports to be.

Heres the problem with tags they are not thick nor stiff like patches and can be bent and twisted into the hole. Not that this is a tell tale test but i would try to move the tag with say a knife or maybe a pencil eraser to see if it moves. Cause if it was just slid in over a jersey it wouldnt be stuck. Thats if they messed with it that way.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
nyc3 said:
Jeff N. said:

Heres the problem with tags they are not thick nor stiff like patches and can be bent and twisted into the hole. Not that this is a tell tale test but i would try to move the tag with say a knife or maybe a pencil eraser to see if it moves. Cause if it was just slid in over a jersey it wouldnt be stuck. Thats if they messed with it that way.

Did that. Glued in just like any other GU item.

darrend505

Aug 9, 2008
IMO, I agree with GC. If DLP claims that only jerseys were used then the card that you have should not be. It does not state prime and every tag I have ever seen has said prime on it or actually said laundry tag.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
darrend505 said:
IMO, I agree with GC. If DLP claims that only jerseys were used then the card that you have should not be. It does not state prime and every tag I have ever seen has said prime on it or actually said laundry tag.

Not in 2005 they didn't.

$(KGrHqMOKm4E1T6VTMClBN,wBi3-qQ~~_12.jpg
$(KGrHqYOKnEE1QYZlDp,BN(tvgHCYg~~_3.jpg
$(KGrHqN,!isE1MO4YIS7BN,9Bcp-+Q~~_12.jpg

$(KGrHqUOKoYE0gKMDp!UBNbYe0mb6!~~_12.jpg
$(KGrHqIOKjIE0bGvLG2jBNZtDhEvDg~~_12.jpg
28e4_12.jpg

$(KGrHqV,!jUE1JBDr)kcBNb(Fm6oB!~~_12.jpg

!B-yiHFg!Wk~$(KGrHqJ,!joEzK6eDzqBBM9r7t72Nw~~0_3.jpg

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Lancemountain said:
What's with members here selling fake patches? This is two now in the last two weeks

I doubt neither Jeff nor whoever else you're talking about knew they were fake

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Lancemountain wrote:What's with members here selling fake patches? This is two now in the last two weeks

I doubt neither Jeff nor whoever else you're talking about knew they were fake

In jeffs case, there is no definitive proof it is fake, so I guess it is different, so point taken. The other instance, the guy knew 100% it was fake.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
Jeff N. said:
darrend505 said:

Not in 2005 they didn't.

$(KGrHqMOKm4E1T6VTMClBN,wBi3-qQ~~_12.jpg
$(KGrHqYOKnEE1QYZlDp,BN(tvgHCYg~~_3.jpg
$(KGrHqN,!isE1MO4YIS7BN,9Bcp-+Q~~_12.jpg

$(KGrHqUOKoYE0gKMDp!UBNbYe0mb6!~~_12.jpg
$(KGrHqIOKjIE0bGvLG2jBNZtDhEvDg~~_12.jpg
28e4_12.jpg

$(KGrHqV,!jUE1JBDr)kcBNb(Fm6oB!~~_12.jpg

!B-yiHFg!Wk~$(KGrHqJ,!joEzK6eDzqBBM9r7t72Nw~~0_3.jpg
The Problem is that every card you posted had other players from the same sets also have Patches or Tags. I have a Jim Palmer Just like your Murray, same set with a Tag. I have a Johan Santana Donruss Zenith With a Tag just like your Oswalt. The point Im getting at is there is consistency with the Set of the cards you posted. With the Bio there is none (That I know of). I myself have never seen a tag or patch from that set of any player, they have always been bats or jersey. Now could there be a first for everything, Yes, and could it be possible that its legit and that this is a Dlp Oddity, sure, but I am going to say that as legit as it could be there is a bigger chance that it has been altered. Obviously I wish I have definitive evidence but even in your profession you dont away need definitive evidence to prove someone wrong or find out the real truth. I personally would be interested in knowing where the Fcb member that you recieved it from got it? Did he buy it from ebay from a know patch alterer? Did he pull it? Either way Good luck with the sale.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Difference is Jeff, those cards you posted are listed as "PRIME"

2005 Donruss Champions Impressions Material Prime #136 Wes Helms Jsy/88

2005 Donruss Champions Impressions Material Prime #226 David Justice Braves Jsy/82

2005 Leaf Century Timeline Threads Prime #33 Eddie Murray Pants (also that embossing above century collection says "PRIME")

2005 Zenith Z-Jerseys Prime #35 Roy Oswalt/100

2005 Leaf Certified Materials Fabric of the Game Prime #50 George Brett Jsy/10

sneekc

Feb 1, 2009
i pulled a Koufax a long time ago, contained an old stitched laundry tag within the 3 numbers. It was beautiful, I should have never sold it, wish I still had the scan :(

Latest posts