Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Shocking....elijah dukes news...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
George_Calfas said:
.....and his teams knew his issues. Too bad they did not get him more help; this could have been prevented.

You assume things a lot, George. You assume he wasn't given psychological help. You think a team spends millions of dollars on a known headcase and doesn't provide him with help?

Get real.

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
George, c'mon man. Lets blame the team? The guy is a known nut job who was given more than enough chances. He is the one beating up women, not his former teams. The guy is has no self control. Some people cant be rehabilitated and he is a perfect example.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Jeff N. said:
[quote="George_Calfas":ywvijb41].....and his teams knew his issues. Too bad they did not get him more help; this could have been prevented.

You assume things a lot, George. You assume he wasn't given psychological help. You think a team spends millions of dollars on a known headcase and doesn't provide him with help?

Get real.[/quote:ywvijb41]

Jeff, the word in my statement was "more" help. He received treatment but obviously not enough.

henderson939 said:
George, c'mon man. Lets blame the team? The guy is a known nut job who was given more than enough chances. He is the one beating up women, not his former teams. The guy is has no self control. Some people cant be rehabilitated and he is a perfect example.

He is completely in the wrong, no doubt. Sports team do a poor job helping the African American (and others) that put fans in the stands and cash in their pockets, that is my point.

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
Here is some Dukes off field info.

Dukes has been arrested at least three times for battery, and once for assault. According to court records, he fathered at least five children with four women between 2003 and 2006.

On May 23, 2007, Dukes's wife NiShea Gilbert sought a restraining order against him after he threatened her life and the lives of their children. On May 2, Dukes had sent a photo of a gun to her cell phone and left her the following voicemail: "Hey, dawg. It's on, dawg. You dead, dawg. I ain't even bullshitting. Your kids too, dawg. It don't even matter to me who is in the car with you. ******, all I know is, ******, when I see your ************* ass riding, dawg, it's on. As a matter of fact, I'm coming to your ************* house." On June 12, a 17-year-old foster child who was living in the care of a relative of Dukes accused him of impregnating her. Police said the sex was apparently consensual. When the girl confronted Dukes to inform him about the pregnancy, he allegedly got angry and threw a bottle of Gatorade at her.

Dukes has received anger-management training. When Dukes was traded to the Nationals, the team also hired an ex-police officer in the role of "Special Assistant: Player Concerns". This person accompanies Dukes everywhere to ensure that he keeps himself free of trouble.

Dukes was arrested in November 2010 for contempt due to failure to pay child support

Nice guy. He should be lucky a team even signed him, let alone get him some help.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
George_Calfas said:
[quote="Jeff N.":1nuotmwe][quote="George_Calfas":1nuotmwe].....and his teams knew his issues. Too bad they did not get him more help; this could have been prevented.

Get real.[/quote:1nuotmwe]

Jeff, the word in my statement was "more" help. He received treatment but obviously not enough.

henderson939 said:

He is completely in the wrong, no doubt. Sports team do a poor job helping the African American (and others) that put fans in the stands and cash in their pockets, that is my point.[/quote:1nuotmwe]

While I am not going to waste the time in researching it, it would be my guess that sports teams have made hundreds of African Americans millionaires, and made sure that thousands of same never have to work again.

The sports business does not typically take care of athletes after their use is over, but such is the nature of the beast. Athletes get paid very very well for playing a game. In sports like football, thre is an assumed risk of injury. They get paid to absorb that risk. In other sports, they have mental health coordinators on staff and some teams (for instance, I know the Phillies had Dickie Noles) have former players to help with players mental health.

I have no pity on an athlete paid more money than most people will ever see to play a game.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Jeff N. said:
[quote="George_Calfas":11a4gcb0][quote="Jeff N.":11a4gcb0][quote="George_Calfas":11a4gcb0].....and his teams knew his issues. Too bad they did not get him more help; this could have been prevented.

Get real.[/quote:11a4gcb0]

henderson939 said:

He is completely in the wrong, no doubt. Sports team do a poor job helping the African American (and others) that put fans in the stands and cash in their pockets, that is my point.[/quote:11a4gcb0]

While I am not going to waste the time in researching it, it would be my guess that sports teams have made hundreds of African Americans millionaires, and made sure that thousands of same never have to work again.

The sports business does not typically take care of athletes after their use is over, but such is the nature of the beast. Athletes get paid very very well for playing a game. In sports like football, thre is an assumed risk of injury. They get paid to absorb that risk. In other sports, they have mental health coordinators on staff and some teams (for instance, I know the Phillies had Dickie Noles) have former players to help with players mental health.

I have no pity on an athlete paid more money than most people will ever see to play a game.[/quote:11a4gcb0]

You are 100% correct. The NBA and other league have "Rookie Camps", yet it is not enough.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
George_Calfas said:
[quote="Jeff N.":eqympytt][quote="George_Calfas":eqympytt][quote="Jeff N.":eqympytt][quote="George_Calfas":eqympytt].....and his teams knew his issues. Too bad they did not get him more help; this could have been prevented.

Get real.[/quote:eqympytt]

henderson939 said:

He is completely in the wrong, no doubt. Sports team do a poor job helping the African American (and others) that put fans in the stands and cash in their pockets, that is my point.[/quote:eqympytt]

I have no pity on an athlete paid more money than most people will ever see to play a game.[/quote:eqympytt]

You are 100% correct. The NBA and other league have "Rookie Camps", yet it is not enough.[/quote:eqympytt]

The NFL does as well. They have classes that rookies attend after the draft. They try to teach them and stress to them the importance of their actions and how to take care of their money, amongst other things. There are plenty who either don't listen, or need further help/instruction.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Honestly, how much counseling does someone need to know it's not right to hit women, especially pregnant women?

"What about if they mouth off?"

NO!

"What if they're dressing sluttily?"

NO!

"What if I think I gotta learn 'em?"

NO!

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Jeff N. said:
Honestly, how much counseling does someone need to know it's not right to hit women, especially pregnant women?

"What about if they mouth off?"

NO!

"What if they're dressing sluttily?"

NO!

"What if I think I gotta learn 'em?"

NO!

Since when are these not legitimate reasons to keep your pimp hand strong??? Okay, that was a seriously bad joke and I do apologize. Just trying to lighten the mood a bit.

I get what you're saying. Simple things such as hitting a woman should be common sense. However, some of these players are coming from very poor backgrounds and are all of the sudden handed a huge check and they go off the deep end. That's not making an excuse for them, but I think every professional sport should implement some kind of classes or something to try and help these guys.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
HE has never changed, it is really too bad.

I remember years ago when Elijah was in AA a couple of BMB members were high on Dukes and trying to convince me of his future. They were very quick to look past his legal issues. Sad to say, I am glad I didn't invest in this bum.

skrip

ahill1

Aug 7, 2008
This isn't really "shocking" news. He has been a thug his whole life and it was only a matter of time til he imploded again. I do not feel sorry for people that keep on making the same mistake over and over again

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
It's amazing how many people think that more therapy, counseling, and a better up bringing are to blame for how guys like Dukes end up. Sooner or later these guys have to start being held accountable. Maybe I'm crazy but I think by the time you're a grown man knowing not to hit a pregnant woman should be common sense. The guys sucks and that's all there is to it.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
ballerskrip said:
HE has never changed, it is really too bad.

I remember years ago when Elijah was in AA a couple of BMB members were high on Dukes and trying to convince me of his future. They were very quick to look past his legal issues. Sad to say, I am glad I didn't invest in this bum.

skrip
I was one of the guys who bought in (have 8 gold ref.'s I believe) and I guess at times I am overly optimistic that a person will straighten their life out. Obviously he's not shown anything of the sort. Hopefully one day he straightens his life out (inside or outside of baseball.)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts