Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

7! 01 Bowman Chrome Pujols Autos on Ebay..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J_Hamilton_32

Sep 9, 2009
Why is it everytime I search for this card there's always one on ebay, this is the most I have seen on at once 7! For being the "Holy Grail of new cards" there's always people selling it. Also I know there's 500 of them but how many of them actually were redeemed? 325 or so?

Don't you think it's kind of under priced $2800? for a guy that put up 300, 30 homers, 100 rbis 10 straight years, no one else ever done that.

I could've swore I saw one last winter selling for 8k.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
With a card of that kind of value there are always going to be people out there just fishing..which is why all but one of them is BIN/BO or super high starting price auction.

The only one at auction ([phil:2r8xok0m]190507019116[/phil:2r8xok0m]) is of course a raw one.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
J_Hamilton_32 said:
...For being the "Holy Grail of new cards" there's always people selling it. ...

This is exactly my feeling with the card too. This card doesn't get me all warm and fuzzy like iconic cards are supposed to, especially like the iconic stuff from the '50s with a similar price tag...apparently this is how others feel as well. Maybe people think this way about this card because people have always mainly thought of this card as an investment and not as a collectible.

I wouldn't be selling iconic cards I owned that were worth a few Gs or more unless I were in dire straits, thought the card was ridiculously overpriced...or wasn't attached to/didn't want the card to begin with.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
There is a LOT of "shadiness" when it comes to this card. i have a feeling there are more out there then we are lead to believe

of course i have no "proof" to back up MY feeling.

that being said, isnt there some sort of variation on #5/500? as in there is a #005/500 and a #5/500

J_Hamilton_32

Sep 9, 2009
uniquebaseballcards said:
J_Hamilton_32 said:
...For being the "Holy Grail of new cards" there's always people selling it. ...

This is exactly my feeling with the card too. This card doesn't get me all warm and fuzzy like iconic cards are supposed to, especially like the iconic stuff from the '50s with a similar price tag...apparently this is how others feel as well. Maybe people think this way about this card because people have always mainly thought of this card as an investment and not as a collectible.

I wouldn't be selling iconic cards I owned that were worth a few Gs or more unless I were in dire straits, thought the card was ridiculously overpriced...or wasn't attached to/didn't want the card to begin with.

Yea If I got it I'd probably hold onto to it, because If I got it for 2,500-3000 my luck, id sell it for 4k-5k and it'll be worth 25k 5-10 years later.

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
ThoseBackPages said:
There is a LOT of "shadiness" when it comes to this card. i have a feeling there are more out there then we are lead to believe

that being said, isnt there some sort of variation on #5/500? as in there is a #005/500 and a #5/500

I don't think there are any more than stated but good luck finding one that hasn't been trimmed. I'd be willing to bet that nearly all of the 387 or so that are out there have made their way through the trimmers at least a couple of times each. I'm also guessing that the shadiness with the numbering on the back is the result of tampering.

The BGS 10 that is out there first showed up in the account of one of the most notorious trimmers out there and was shill bid at least the first 3 times it was auctioned on ebay.

J_Hamilton_32

Sep 9, 2009
JVC said:
ThoseBackPages said:

I don't think there are any more than stated but good luck finding one that hasn't been trimmed. I'd be willing to bet that nearly all of the 387 or so that are out there have made their way through the trimmers at least a couple of times each. I'm also guessing that the shadiness with the numbering on the back is the result of tampering.

The BGS 10 that is out there first showed up in the account of one of the most notorious trimmers out there and was shill bid at least the first 3 times it was auctioned on ebay.

why is beckett grading them if there trimmed then? or are you talking ungraded ones?

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
If I also correctly, Topps did not destroy them.

The ones that were not redeemed are supposed to be used for future products as redemptions/inserts.

I wouldnt be shocked if most of what's left was backdoored

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
That's what I always figured. At the time the redemption period ran out, they were selling for over $1000. I can't believe that Topps threw $113,000 in the incinerator like so many Mantle Refractors.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
ThoseBackPages said:
There is a LOT of "shadiness" when it comes to this card....

5/500 Topps sticker #3040260 PSA 9 PSA serial #40002731
5/500 Topps sticker #3040227 BGS 8
005/500 Topps sticker #3040244 BGS 9.5
005/500 Topps sticker #3040359 PSA 9 O/C serial #30119083
005/500 Topps sticker #3040497

more than likely there's more....

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
J_Hamilton_32 said:
JVC said:
ThoseBackPages said:

why is beckett grading them if there trimmed then? or are you talking ungraded ones?

ALL grading companies grade trimmed cards every day. Trimmers have gotten songood at what they do that it is nearly impossible to tell the difference between a card that has been altered and one directly from the factory. All they can do is stick to the manufacturing standards and anything that doesn't fit will be rejected.

As for the Pujols', most of the ones that have been slabbed, including the BGS 10, have been trimmed.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Who actually player collects Pujols, anyways?

Anyone?

The only people I know who own Pujols cards are those who want to strike it rich one day(investors) - he really doesn't have that strong a PC following outside of St. Louis that I ever see.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
JVC said:
ThoseBackPages said:

Jeff speaks the truth

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
jcmint said:
JVC said:

Jeff speaks the truth

The ugly truth behind the BGS 10 is that the submitter tried multiple times via RCR for a sub bump on a card that had two 10 subgrades and two 9.5 subgrades. Each time, it was rejected. The graders, or at least their supervisors, were familiar with the card. They had to be. I mean, how many BGS 9.5s on that card, with those subgrades, do they see on a given day at a show? And then suddenly one night it no longer has the flaws that kept it from a pristine 10 slab?

Sportsnutcards

May 4, 2009
Belmar, NJ
BGSBrad had the first 10, and yes, it was bumped. But brad is/was not a trimmer. I would still think there are a decent number of Bowman Chromes in collections that have not seen the light of day in a while. I know of one collector locally who has one in his collection and I am almost 100% it is untouched...

50th round pick

Dec 1, 2008
I have an untrimmed one. I'm a Bowman Chrome setbuilder. I bought the redemption card on eBay in 2001 for about $250 and hated myself for paying that much. Redeemed it myself, put it in the set with the other 19 autos, watched the card reach $3K, and sent it to BGS. It's a 9 and one half-grade away from a 9.5.

I'm sure I'm not not the only person with this story.

Members online

Latest posts