Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2008 Topps Sterling Jumbo Patch and Jersey Quantities

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
Instead of numbering each card properly and then serial numbering the individual cards, Topps essentially reversed that process and serial numbered each one 1/1 and numbered each card differently. For instance, each Reggie Jackson is serial numbered 1/1, but there is only one RJA3, one RJA13, one RJA23, etc. My highest Jackson is RJA40, so unless Topps can't count that means there are at least 40 "1/1" patches of him. At least each one his a slightly different border rather than just a color shift.

Below is a list of the highest number from each different player that I noted from the ones that I've owned over time plus the ones currently on Ebay. If you have a 2008 Topps Sterling 1/1 patch, check the numbering and post it here if it's higher. I'm curious to see if they were produced in equal quantities or not. Although each card is labeled as a "Jumbo Patch," we all know that a lot of them were jersey cards. For the ones that I don't have numbers from, I took the names from a Beckett checklist and guessed based on my memory if it was a jersey or patch card. I will correct the list as new numbers are posted.

I suspect that the Ripken and Niekro jerseys and patches are from the same run, but some had jerseys and some patches. Jackson has both a patch and jersey card, but the patches are A's patches and numbered RJA and the jerseys are Yankees and numbered RJY. A few other players had this as well.

Patch Cards
Andre Dawson AD30
Bruce Sutter BS16
Cal Ripken Jr. CR21
David Justice
Fred McGriff (Braves)
Harold Baines HB26
Howard Johnson
Joe Torre JT18
Lou Brock LB28
Phil Niekro PN26
Reggie Jackson RJA40 (A's)
Roberto Alomar (Indians)
Robin Yount RY16
Steve Garvey (Padres)
Steve Garvey (Dodgers)
Tony Gwynn TG9
Wade Boggs WB10
Willie Randolph WR20

Jersey Cards
Bernie Williams
Bob Feller
Bob Gibson BG23
Cal Ripken Jr. CR34
Don Mattingly
Eddie Murray (Mets)
Eddie Murray (Orioles)
Frank Robinson
Fred McGriff (Cubs)
Gary Carter
George Kell
Johnny Bench
Mike Schmidt
Nolan Ryan
Orlando Cepeda
Paul Molitor
Paul O'Neill
Pee Wee Reese PWR38
Phil Niekro PN6
Red Schoendienst AS43
Reggie Jackson RJY44 (Yankees)
Roberto Alomar (Mets)
Roger Maris RMY15 (Yankees)
Roger Maris (Cardinals)
Ryne Sandberg
Stan Musial
Ted Williams
Whitey Ford
Yogi Berra

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
Sheez. I never liked this set and have never owned any of them because they are all numbered 1/1. Never knew the quantities could be so high.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Cool idea. I had kept a scan of each Paul O'Neill that had popped but I lost that folder when my old computer crashed. They were nearly all solid gray pant cards from his Reds uniform, one or two featured the laundry tag, and a few had the red/white elastic wasitband.

As far as numbering, the highest I saw was 37 or 38. My personal estimate was the print run was upto 40.

Members online

Latest posts