Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Panini...oh what could have been

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
In 2008 Contenders baseball form appeared - [phil:297wws09]180631474482[/phil:297wws09] and these cards were wildly successful, even without MLB jerseys.

However, since then, we all know the story, Topps got the exclusive and so ended brands like Contenders in baseball (and now Elite too). However, looking at some of Panini's latest releases got me to thinking, what if the MLB had went the other way and introduced more competition into the market rather than less.

Would you like prospect cards like...

This - [phil:297wws09]260746537118[/phil:297wws09]

or

This - [phil:297wws09]230593517372[/phil:297wws09]

or even veteran stuff like:

This - [phil:297wws09]250783517392[/phil:297wws09]

alright...I'll end my dreaming now but man, I'd love to have options like that in the baseball world.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I would push my mother out in traffic to have COMPETITION back in the LICENSED baseball hobby.

I wish DLP(not panini) and UD were still producing cards. :cry:

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
chashawk said:
I would push my mother out in traffic to have COMPETITION back in the LICENSED baseball hobby.

I wish DLP(not panini) and UD were still producing cards. :cry:

Panini has been hit or miss in other sports so far:

Hit: 2009-10 National Treasures B-Ball, 2010 Contenders Football, 2010-11 Score Hockey

Miss: 2010-11 Contenders Basketball (yuck:[phil:sgqxqfqa]200581801603[/phil:sgqxqfqa]) and a bunch of other low-end products

So DLP or Panini would be just fine by me.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Panini-russ did a great job in years past with baseball products. They seemed to put out some really nice lines for collectors. I miss their offerings. I cry every night before I go to sleep and pray to the heavens that someway, somehow, they will be allowed back in.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Topps has become the Master of the Gimmick.

They have no appreciation for the aesthetics of sports cards.

Their high end has always been a frankenstein mess.

They churn cards out with lack of eye appeal.

They have no motivation to ever try to get better.

They were blown away in the late 90's and early 2000's when Fleer/Donruss/Upper Deck all ran away with cool and fun insert sets that are still highly sought after today, while the late 90's and early 2000's Topps cards remain dead in junk piles.

They are living on their Bowman cash cow, ignoring the needs of the rest of their customers.

Topps = Boring.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
brouthercard said:
Topps has become the Master of the Gimmick.

They have no appreciation for the aesthetics of sports cards.

Their high end has always been a frankenstein mess.

They churn cards out with lack of eye appeal.

They have no motivation to ever try to get better.

They were blown away in the late 90's and early 2000's when Fleer/Donruss/Upper Deck all ran away with cool and fun insert sets that are still highly sought after today, while the late 90's and early 2000's Topps cards remain dead in junk piles.

They are living on their Bowman cash cow, ignoring the needs of the rest of their customers.

Topps = Boring.

truth.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I would like to see just one other licensed company back in the game to break up the time in between Topps releases. Upper Deck would be the last one I want back though. If I could snap my fingers, I'd want either Fleer or Donruss (pre-Panini) back.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
UD made some of the best looking cards of the last 10 years. Why wouldn't you want them back?

And please don't say redemptions, because topps is just as bad, if not worse.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I liked the 2008/09 rules with all three manufacturers in the game, but limited. Maybe 8-12 releases. I miss UD's better photography and Donruss's cool inserts designs.

UD wouldn't be on Life support, the Razor exclusive mess probably wouldn't have happened (from a Weiters fan), and Topps probably would be more pressed to not have as many sub-standard releases. Cool not-all-just-baseball releases would be better too. World of Sports, for instance, would be a cool multi-brand insert (added bonus?) instead of a disappointing stand-alone set. And with the stellar 2010 rookie Class, there would be enough for everyone.

I'm not a Contenders fan (in any sport), just don't like the design, too busy. But I do love me some Elites, especially the low #d Die-cut parallels and would have loved a shot at some of those the last coupla years.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
chashawk said:
UD made some of the best looking cards of the last 10 years. Why wouldn't you want them back?

Because for my tastes, they made tacky looking cards and if they were not tacky, they were bland. Not all, but most.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
National Treasures is ugly

Everything Panini puts out besides Contenders and Certified is ugly

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
chashawk said:

Redemptions. Why have another company dropping a ton of redemptions? Topps shouldn't do it. I don't want another company that does.

Shady business practices.

Back-dooring cards.

Over promising and under delivering.

Not standing by their products.

Lack of odds on products.

I'd prefer to see a fresh-face get into cards.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
gt2590 said:
I'm not a Contenders fan (in any sport), just don't like the design, too busy. But I do love me some Elites, especially the low #d Die-cut parallels and would have loved a shot at some of those the last coupla years.

I'm confused, why didn't you buy the elites? Because they're not licensed?

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
justinmandawg said:
chashawk said:

Redemptions. Why have another company dropping a ton of redemptions? Topps shouldn't do it. I don't want another company that does.

Back-dooring cards.

I can't tell if you are talking about Topps or Upper Deck! :lol:

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
justinmandawg said:
chashawk said:

Back-dooring cards.

With the exception of lack of odds on packs, you just described Topps

Although Topps putting odds on packs doesn't seem to help them much

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
pigskincardboard said:
gt2590 said:

I'm confused, why didn't you buy the elites? Because they're not licensed?

No, not really. I'm not that into "Prospecting". I don't know too many of the prospects until they're almost to the bigs. I still like them, buy some singles, but I would have loved a shot at some of those 2010 rookies, especially Stanton (if I could afford it).

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
brouthercard said:
justinmandawg said:
chashawk said:

Back-dooring cards.

I can't tell if you are talking about Topps or Upper Deck! :lol:

I was talking about why I don't want UD back in baseball not why I want sweeping changes at Topps. That's a different subject. I'm not tacitly saying Topps is unable to do stupid crap.

Members online

Latest posts