Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

It may not be shilling, but I can't stand bidders like this

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
I didn't even think about others making sure the price went up higher or to tick off a competitor.

I simply couldn't figure out why he was doing it. It didn't bother me about not winning because I never bid. I was only going to do so if it was still really low.

I couldn't enter a bid though because the amount kept changing every few seconds...

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI
I've seen this ALOT lately. I was wondering an honest reason for it, and all I could think of is that someone is trying to scare off other bidders by bidding up the price. I guess people whom are bored do it as well.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Exposfan said:
I've seen this ALOT lately. I was wondering an honest reason for it, and all I could think of is that someone is trying to scare off other bidders by bidding up the price. I guess people whom are bored do it as well.

BINGO

If you see 22 bids on a $100 card that's sitting at $62, what do you think? 1. Shill, or 2. You severely underestimated how many people want that card. Either way, it'll lessen your desire to place a bid or snipe, making it cheaper on the people who bid in that manner

It's the reverse psychology of sniping

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
I have done something like this but not to that extreme. I saw a card on the bottom of here (FCB bot) and I was like
cool only 6 buck. It goes for around 20 so I laid a bid in at about 3 minute mark and was out bid, so I did it again about minute later,
I did this about 4 times before I stopped, I was trying to get it under the price but someone must have had a higher max bid,

Sorry if you hate me but sometimes I try and get something low. OH I now have a Snipe Account so I will not do this anymore I promise :D

cjb9421

Feb 17, 2010
Excuse me but i do this as well.if i'm investing in cards, let me rephrase that.....if anyone is investing money in someones cards so you can MAKE MONEY. IT IS YOUR OBLIGATION TO BID AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE....so you can keep market where its at or raise it. Dont rely on others to bid.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
You can save yourself a some money (anywhere from pennies to dollars) doing this.

For Example.

• The current bid is $240.87.

The current high bidders max is at $250.01.

You bid $250.02 and then place a $275 bid (your maximum)

If you were to bid like that you win the auction for $250.02.
    If you had not place the first bid, you would have won it for $260.01.

It is possible to save money this way, but in order to do it sucessfully you will need to place multiple bids with small increases.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
vwnut13 said:
You can save yourself a some money (anywhere from pennies to dollars) doing this.

For Example.

• The current bid is $240.87 and going in $5 incriments.

If you had not place the first bid, you would have won it for $260.

It is possible to save money this way, but in order to do it sucessfully you will need to place multiple bids with small increases.
or just snipe

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it look like the winner put a maximum bid much higher than the runner up. So the bid master continues bidding hoping he can break the maximum bid but still wants a steal in the process.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
chashawk said:
vwnut13 said:

For Example.

• The current bid is $240.87 and going in $5 incriments.

If you had not place the first bid, you would have won it for $255.01.

or just snipe

But if you would have sniped your maximum bid (275) you would have won it for $255.01 instead of $250.02. An overspend of $4.99.

Members online

Latest posts