Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Question about this "game used" item

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
First of all, I am not questioning this seller in the slightest. He has a lot of good feedback and seems to do a lot of sales in the game used category. He has all of the proper COAs from the team and the tagging seems to be spot on. So here is the listing. This is a Ryan Doumit Game Worn 2004 Road Jersey.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

IMG_6188.jpg

IMG_6190.jpg

IMG_6192.jpg

So looks pretty good so far right? Well here is the problem. Doumit's first professional appearance was in June 2005. He did not play in a game in 2004. So would this really be a "game issued" jersey, even though the COA says game used? Do they count catching in the bullpen as playing in a game? Again not saying anything about the seller, just starting to maybe understand why Topps is so vague with its relic listings because of situations like this?

So is it worth it to buy a game used jersey that technically isn't game used? Do you put more emphasis on game used, rather than game issued? Just trying to get some opinions about this. Thanks!

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
First of all, I am not questioning this seller in the slightest. He has a lot of good feedback and seems to do a lot of sales in the game used category. He has all of the proper COAs from the team and the tagging seems to be spot on. So here is the listing. This is a Ryan Doumit Game Worn 2004 Road Jersey.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

IMG_6188.jpg

IMG_6190.jpg

IMG_6192.jpg

So looks pretty good so far right? Well here is the problem. Doumit's first professional appearance was in June 2005. He did not play in a game in 2004. So would this really be a "game issued" jersey, even though the COA says game used? Do they count catching in the bullpen as playing in a game? Again not saying anything about the seller, just starting to maybe understand why Topps is so vague with its relic listings because of situations like this?

So is it worth it to buy a game used jersey that technically isn't game used? Do you put more emphasis on game used, rather than game issued? Just trying to get some opinions about this. Thanks!

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
200lbhockeyplayer said:
2004 Spring Training and Doumit's whopping 5 games?

Thanked. I didn't think about spring training, although I thought teams wore different unis in ST (or is that only more recently)? I will have to research that.

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
TBTwinsFan said:
Was he traveling with the team during that year? Sometimes "game worn" means "he wore it at a game."

Yes he did make the 40 man roster that year, just didn't play.

So if this was a jersey of your player, would this affect the desirability of having it in your collection? (Game used vs. game worn/issued)

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
IUjapander said:
So if this was a jersey of your player, would this affect the desirability of having it in your collection? (Game used vs. game worn/issued)

huge difference between game worn and game issued, imo and would definitely effect my desirability of owning the item.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
Was he called up in 2004 and not play? If so then the COA does state "game worn" and not used, so worn on the bench and not used in a game.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
IUjapander said:
TBTwinsFan said:
Was he traveling with the team during that year? Sometimes "game worn" means "he wore it at a game."

Yes he did make the 40 man roster that year, just didn't play.

I would want any jersey of his, whether it is GU, "GW", or GI...

BUT, I would def. pay more for a GU/GW than a GI. Since 2 of my favorite players are pitchers, I wouldn't put a major premium on one he actually used vs. one that was worn on the bench. It kinda sounds stupid, but that's just how I would do it.

Come to think of it, I only have one Game Issued jersey... a Road of Kevin Mulvey Twins Road jersey... If I ever meet him (highly doubt) I want him to ink it for me.

Latest posts