Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bowman Platinum redemption...really Topps?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
At least get the same friggin' sticker. Why make people wait if you're just going to **** it up?

MitchellandJacksonSterlingdualauto.jpg

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I don't even understand why they use the non-clear stickers anymore. Synergy topps, synergy.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
hive17 said:
At least get the same friggin' sticker. Why make people wait if you're just going to frack it up?

It seems the issued it the way they planned to. Notice how the top auto has words underneath the sticker and on the card that certify the auto, while the bottom auto has the certification on the sticker itself.

Edit: is there also certification on the top sticker? Maybe its just hard to read.

ronzo

Sep 8, 2008
Stroudsburg, PA
uniquebaseballcards said:
hive17 said:
At least get the same friggin' sticker. Why make people wait if you're just going to frack it up?

It seems the issued it the way they planned to. Notice how the top auto has words underneath the sticker and on the card that certify the auto, while the bottom auto has the certification on the sticker itself.

The top one also says certified on the sticker.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
You really think Topps cares about you? Really?

Fine, go buy someone else's products if you aren't happy with your card..oh wait..

Topps tells you what you will be happy with - how DARE you question them.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
brouthercard said:

Fine, go buy someone else's products if you aren't happy with your card..oh wait..

What, this has never happened with any other manufacturer at any other time? Of course it has many times.

If anything this card is another example of how manufacturers want collectors to continue to see the hobby as fun and not as a business.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
brouthercard said:

What, this has never happened with any other manufacturer at any other time? Of course it has many times.

If anything this card is another example of how manufacturers want collectors to continue to see the hobby as fun and not as a business.

It's not so fun when you settle for sub-par quality.

UD, Donruss, and Fleer ALL had their share of Frankensteins, but they really can't do anything about that anymore, can they?

No impetus for improvement. None. They don't care. It's not fun when they don't care.

I don't have any fun opening Bowman platinum, so I don't. One less product to enjoy.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
brouthercard said:

UD, Donruss, and Fleer ALL had their share of Frankensteins, but they really can't do anything about that anymore, can they?

No impetus for improvement. None. They don't care. It's not fun when they don't care.

I don't have any fun opening Bowman platinum, so I don't. One less product to enjoy.

Because all manufacturers have always done this what you're saying is a non sequitur.

I definitely agree you shouldn't buy what you don't find fun, but maybe you weren't Topps' target audience to begin with here?

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
brouthercard said:

Because all manufacturers have always done this what you're saying is a non sequitur.

I definitely agree you shouldn't buy what you don't find fun, but maybe you weren't Topps' target audience to begin with here?

Probably not, so don't I have every right to criticize them? Perhaps get the people who ARE their target audience to second guess their purchases? Maybe help them see that things CAN be improved. I suppose if you are truly having fun and LOVE sticker autos, good for you, I live by a different standard. If people are complacent with mediocrity, good for Topps.

Sweetness

Mar 1, 2009
brouthercard said:

Topps isn't even trying anymore. That card is gross.

Topps knows people will buy there stuff no matter what so they are doing the bare minimum. I lose more and more respect for topps with every product they put out. It is sad that topps rewards their loyal customers with a slap in the face. A

I actually feel bad for any loyal customer that is not insulted.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
brouthercard said:

By the way, who is Topps's targeted audience anyways?

Are they trying to impress prospectors? Possible, prospectors could care less what the cards look like as long as they can be turned for a profit.

Are they trying to impress MLB fans? Not in this case. Most MLB fans have never even heard of these guys before.

Are they trying to impress Mr. Wal-Mart and his lack of access to the internet and lack of teeth? DING DING DING.

Sweetness

Mar 1, 2009
Topps target audience is card addicts. They know people are addicted so they pump out as many different products are possible with little to no regard for quality, consistency, value or innovation.

Do you think crack dealers care how good their crack is? All they care about is maximizing profits and keeping the addict high.

ChicagoCubsWS

May 17, 2009
A_Pharis said:
I refuse to believe that's Mitchell's auto.

Theres a long thread on Blowout with a Mitchell super collector saying this is fake...he has even contacted Topps about the matter.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
brouthercard said:
Probably not, so don't I have every right to criticize them? Perhaps get the people who ARE their target audience to second guess their purchases? Maybe help them see that things CAN be improved. I suppose if you are truly having fun and LOVE sticker autos, good for you, I live by a different standard. If people are complacent with mediocrity, good for Topps.

The criticism here and the criticism of others is often that the hobby is not more business-like in its approach...but a hobby that's more business-like may not be an educational and fun hobby anymore but a business. The manufacturer sets the standard according to what its licensed to do, and all that really matters is that they do what they say they're going to do. We pretty much all know to begin with that manufacturers are very well aware how their products will be received by particular audiences.

Sure sometimes manufacturers create sets that cater more to the relatively small business crowd, but sometimes these "elite collectors" also forget these are 'only' simple baseball cards to begin with.

Members online