Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why is that printing plate autos...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
Out of Bowman Chrome of the same player go for less than red autos /5, orange autos /25 and on par or a little less than gold /50 when they are 1/1s?

I've noticed this lately over the past couple of years. Is it because of the sticker? Or because people don't like the way plates look?

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
#1 they weren't actually used to print the card

#2 They are actually part of a 4 color series making each card have 4 plates

#3 They are uglier than pretty much everything, and only appeal toa niche collector

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
Yeah, they're ugly as sin. When shelling out as much money as you have to for some of these cards - especially as a collector - I'd much rather pay for the aesthetically pleasing, albeit less scarce, copy.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
cgilmo said:

#3 They are uglier than pretty much everything, and only appeal toa niche collector

Is/was this always the case?

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Topnotchsy said:
cgilmo said:

you know, Judd brought this up last year

how is this not a HUGE deal?

mine damn sure says it was used to make the card

2009TributePlateback.jpg

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Great collectibles but they're not cards, they're used to create cards.

As each released copy is a different color each is unique. Plus its obvious when they're #d 1/1s.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
chashawk said:
Topnotchsy said:
cgilmo said:

2009TributePlateback.jpg

Collectors get too complacent

I doubt more than 25% of vintage game used is real, as well.

When companies screw over and lie to collectors for long enough, we settle for less

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
I'm just waiting for Upper Deck or Leaf to get Rosie to sign cards for a celebrity cut set or something. They'd need to make it a booklet auto to fit her on a card.

Of course there would be an Ellen Degeneres/Rosie Dual auto. Not sure how they would work that out.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
I am one who has done pretty well with plate autos. You can get in very cheap sometimes and when a player gets hot, they still sell plenty well enough to make some money on them.

skrip

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
shayscards79 said:
I'm just waiting for Upper Deck or Leaf to get Rosie to sign cards for a celebrity cut set or something. They'd need to make it a booklet auto to fit her on a card.

Of course there would be an Ellen Degeneres/Rosie Dual auto. Not sure how they would work that out.

I heard Ellen likes being on top

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
chashawk said:
Topnotchsy said:
cgilmo said:

2009TributePlateback.jpg

I remember that thread, he said they started making "extra" plates to be inserted into packs that weren't actually used to print the cards, or something to that effect.

To me this should be a much bigger deal than it is. I had about 2 dozen plates at one time, and this info really upset me. I know they aren't as popular as Game Used/Autos, which is why there is less uproar over them, but as someone who collected them, that p***ed me off even more.

Adam G

Jan 25, 2009
shayscards79 said:

Yeah, who would be on top and who would be on bottom? (i didn't mean that like you think I meant it........oh wait, yes I did)

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
JoshHamilton said:
chashawk said:
Topnotchsy said:
cgilmo said:

2009TributePlateback.jpg

Collectors get too complacent

I doubt more than 25% of vintage game used is real, as well.

When companies screw over and lie to collectors for long enough, we settle for less

Way less, my guess would be 3-5% of vintage is game used from player on the card and bigger name more like 1%. Reason why they are so vague and collectors never set a standard for game used cards. They don't have to prove or even show what is cut up and slapped on a card to anyone. Let's see for a vintage legit star jersey that would cost thousands, (even if you can find a 100% legit gamer on a lot of 70's and before stars) I can buy one with a Lou Lampson COA for few hundred bucks. What one is card company buying?

Members online