Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sitting on Sealed Wax

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nikobaseball

Aug 7, 2008
Are any of you guys able to do this?

I have a sealed case of '10 bowman draft sitting in my room and it won't stop staring at me. I bought it with the intention of holding and selling as case prices rise but I don't think I'll be able to hold out. Should I hold? Sell now? Just rip it? How do you guys do it.. :lol:

Zach

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
How much do you weigh? If you're over 185, sitting on them will probably cause some damage

SportsCardMojo

Aug 22, 2010
MD
Yeah, it's near impossible. You need it out of sight, out of mind. Don't even get on these forums to see people's breaks.

I thought about doing that with a few products.

I don't know if you have the funds, but buy 2 cases of everything you buy. Bust one and hide the other in a basement or under your bed.

But yeah, it's REALLY REALLY REALLY hard to resist.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
Sell it. Prices have already increased a lot of cases and as someone who busted 10+ cases, even when it was down to $625 the returns weren't great.

Nikobaseball

Aug 7, 2008
JoshHamilton said:
How much do you weigh? If you're over 185, sitting on them will probably cause some damage

Under 185, it's all good. ;)

alex - Sorry, I'd either end up selling the case as a whole or ripping it all

ffgamer - I like that idea, I've been toying it with (a few a day)

frzg - I'm into it at a decent value. Places are selling it for 880+ now. I would make a couple hundred based on what I have into it......buttt, i'm in the hobby for the fun of it, so odds are it'll get ripped

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Wax was meant to be cracked.

If you are going to put some away, make sure it isn't in your house, cause you will crack it.

Yes, you will.

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
ffgameman said:
Rip it, rip it good.

Split them up - do a few a day.

When a problem comes along
You must RIP IT
Before the cream is out too long
You must RIP IT
When something's going wrong
You just RIP IT

Now RIP IT
Into shape
Shape it up
Get straight
Go forward
Move ahead
Try to detect it
Its not too latte
To RIP IT
RIP IT GOOD

Then sell me the Matt Harvey, Seth Blair, and Brodie Greene stuff.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
I've been opening them sparingly over the last few years, but I have a little over a wax case of each of the following left:

82 Topps
82 Fleer
82 Donruss
83 Fleer
83 Topps
84 Fleer
85 Topps
86 Fleer

Figure they might be worth more in a few years, fun to open them up and pull rc's every once and a while. Bought a huge collection of unopened wax 4-5 years ago and this is what I have left. Great way to spend some of that student loan money at the time.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
wolfmanalfredo said:
I've been opening them sparingly over the last few years, but I have a little over a wax case of each of the following left:

82 Topps
82 Fleer
82 Donruss
83 Fleer
83 Topps
84 Fleer
85 Topps
86 Fleer

Figure they might be worth more in a few years, fun to open them up and pull rc's every once and a while. Bought a huge collection of unopened wax 4-5 years ago and this is what I have left. Great way to spend some of that student loan money at the time.

are those cases sealed?

Nikobaseball

Aug 7, 2008
bigpapiMA32 said:
Personally I'd sell if I could make more than $50 profit. Still, it would be a fun rip.

I actually traded for the case but if I were to get 750-800 for it now I'd be making about four times that based on what I have into it.

Stryk

Aug 7, 2008
Last show I went to I couldn't find enough singles to buy to flip. As I was walking out I stopped by the guy with all the wax. I knew basketball was hot and was able to snag a box of 08-09 Chrome and 09-10 Topps w/Chrome. I had the intention of only selling them. I ended up flipping both for about 95 profit off of 180 investment after fees. I will tell you having them stare at me while waiting for the 7 day auctions to end and both Blake Griffin and Derrick Rose blowing up was something very hard. I don't think I would be able to flip wax again without breaking some of it.

Nikobaseball

Aug 7, 2008
Stryk said:
Last show I went to I couldn't find enough singles to buy to flip. As I was walking out I stopped by the guy with all the wax. I knew basketball was hot and was able to snag a box of 08-09 Chrome and 09-10 Topps w/Chrome. I had the intention of only selling them. I ended up flipping both for about 95 profit off of 180 investment after fees. I will tell you having them stare at me while waiting for the 7 day auctions to end and both Blake Griffin and Derrick Rose blowing up was something very hard. I don't think I would be able to flip wax again without breaking some of it.

I know how ya feel. Fortunately for me, a Harper AFLAC is nearly impossible to pull

however, that machado super won't stop yelling at me.