Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Paul Goldschmidt.. any fans?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Firebirds11

Oct 6, 2010
RandomH said:
Firebirds11 said:
No, people look WAYYYYY too much into ST stats.
He had a decent season last year too... 314 BA with 35 hrs..108 rbis...

Didn't see that, but I still think people overvaluate players in ST. For example, Cabrera, Magglio, Martinez for Detroit are hitting around/below .200 and some AA, AAA players are hitting .300-.500. Not buying most of it. But hey, Adam Everett is hitting about .300 for Cleveland!

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
Firebirds11 said:
RandomH said:
Firebirds11 said:
No, people look WAYYYYY too much into ST stats.
He had a decent season last year too... 314 BA with 35 hrs..108 rbis...

Didn't see that, but I still think people overvaluate players in ST. For example, Cabrera, Magglio, Martinez for Detroit are hitting around/below .200 and some AA, AAA players are hitting .300-.500. Not buying most of it. But hey, Adam Everett is hitting about .300 for Cleveland!

ST is a small sample, but you cannot just "throw out" a guy's ST stats.

One thing I would not recommend doing is comparing a prospects stats in ST(like Goldschmidt) to that of a star(Miggy, Magglio, VMart). The reason being, a prospect has to prove himself, and make an impression on the coaching staff of the big league club. A prospect is most likely going to play every game like it is their last, like it is a playoff game-they have to maximize the opportunity they have in big league camp. A guy like Miggy, he is moreso "going through the motions," as he understands the season is a long grind. Veterans don't try and do poorly in ST, but they don't have anything to prove.

With all that said, ST stats have to be taken with a grain of salt. In Goldschmidts case, when you look at the whole picture-it's pretty encouraging. He reminds me of Jerry Sands. BA used reasons why Sands wasn't a great prospect for about a year-and now they are finally showing him some love. We will see how Paul handles Double A this year-that should be very telling.

As a prospector, I understand ST stats can have a big impact on people buying certain guys. Whether people over-evaluate ST stats is not something I care about-I just care that they evaluate them.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Let's see him put up comparable numbers in AA Mobile, as opposed to the HR-friendly CAL, and then I'll be a fan.

Jared

Oct 22, 2009
I've been liking what I see so far in spring training. I have a elite auto /100 on ebay and if I don't like any offers then I wouldn't mind keeping it because I think he could put up some power numbers this season.

Jurgy25

Aug 14, 2008
Northern California
cgilmo said:
I'm a fan

have a lot of cards, though I think hes got massive bust potential.

I didn't want to throw your name out there in case you were still buying.

I have a /50 Elite Auto on Ebay right now. I put a very high BIN, in case I do get a nice offer, or I don't mind hanging onto it.

RCRX

Sep 4, 2009
I have been buying a few recently. At less than 10$ for a auto I dont think there is a huge risk. I just bought 3 elites for 7-12$ a shot. He has power potential but as usual with the power comes the K's.
Like someone else said..like to see what he does this year in AA. Since I live about 45minutes from Mobile I will have to go have a "look-see"

Jurgy25

Aug 14, 2008
Northern California
shayscards79 said:
Jaypers said:
Let's see him put up comparable numbers in AA Mobile, as opposed to the HR-friendly CAL, and then I'll be a fan.

Him and Rich Poythress have a lot in common.

Very good comparison. Very similar numbers, age and body type. Both excelled in HiA and would be nice if they can both produce higher up.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Wasn't he on last week's hot list? He could be good for a quick flip, but long term is very iffy.