Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

ANOTHER HOFer TO BE???---FRED MCGRIFF!! OUT OR IN!!!

Do You Think Fred McGriff Will Be A HOFer??

• He Will Get In??

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
Just curious as to what you guys think, since Jim Rice is now in, and Andre Dawson did very will on his % for the first time around what do you guys think about Fred McGriff????

Just curious as to what everyone thinks......personally with some of the other players that have gotten in recently, I am on the fence...wouldnt be mad if he made it, wouldnt be sad if he didnt.

As for the poll, I made it will he get in or wont he...not should he be in....we can discuss that in the post.

TK

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
pujolsthomefan33 said:
Just curious as to what you guys think, since Jim Rice is now in, and Andre Dawson did very will on his % for the first time around what do you guys think about Fred McGriff????

Just curious as to what everyone thinks......personally with some of the other players that have gotten in recently, I am on the fence...wouldnt be mad if he made it, wouldnt be sad if he didnt.

As for the poll, I made it will he get in or wont he...not should he be in....we can discuss that in the post.

TK

I wouldn't be suprised if he's in eventually. 1st ballot is a no-go for Mcgriff

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
wolfmanalfredo said:
pujolsthomefan33 said:

TK

I wouldn't be suprised if he's in eventually. 1st ballot is a no-go for Mcgriff

Yeah, I dont see him as a first ballot either......he personally gains my respect a bit for not trying to keep hanging on to reach the 500th....I think 7 away for him gets him a nod.....especially with no steroid use ever being linked to him...

TK

Weatherwarrior

Aug 7, 2008
NE Georgia
Well I think with the way writers feel about PED's guys will we see more of the borderline type guys get in? I think with the way people have shunned the big named guys from the last few years I think we will see the likes of the Crime dog, Dale Murphy, and others get in that might not have made it before!

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
The .284 BA, 493 HRs, 1500+ RBIs, .377 OBP, 1300+ R and 2,490 H, kind of make it hard to argue offensively he shouldnt be in when you stack him up to some of the guys that have made it.

The 1800 Strike Outs hurt him a bit, and the fact that he never one an MVP Award hurt him though...

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
When I think of Fred McGriff I do not immediately say HOFer.

Pros- he was a model of consistency, has very good post season stats, 2 time HR leader, 493 HRs hopefully PED free

Cons- no major awards, never hit 40 HRs, nothing special in the field and awful commericals with Tom Emanski (ok that should not count :lol: )

So, does he make it in 15 tries, assuming he gets 5% each year, I guess I will say yes, he eventually makes it.........

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
sheetskout said:
You know. I was immediately going to say No, but then I checked his page at baseball-reference.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/mcgrifr01.shtml

Not bad at all. If only he could have stuck around for seven more HR's he'd be a lock.

I could actually go either way on this one. I don't think, that if he does get in though, that it should be a first ballot thing.

I agree, I am completely ok with either way....he is so overlooked and I think with Rice getting in really helps him, especially since Rice didnt quite make 500 HRs either..........

TK

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
He isn't a first-ballot HOFer, but he has the numbers.

For a while in the mid 1990s, I thought he was slacking with the number of home runs he was hitting compared to his peers, but when you consider the era, you had a sense of why other guys were hitting 35-40 home runs and he wasn't.

Even if he wasn't hitting 35-40 home runs a year, he finished with nearly 500 home runs, so that has to count for something.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
I think it's cool that McGriff and Gehrig both ended up with 493 Home Runs. Of course, I like that Ted Williams and Willie McCovey both ended up at 521 (which is the current career total of Frank Thomas as well, but he will likely surpass them this season).

But then again, I really like numbers.

David

Members online

Latest posts