Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

This is truly for baseball fans...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TRAVISAKERS

Aug 23, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Here is a copy of today's blog for your reading pleasure:

http://beerbratsandbaseball.mlblogs.com/

The Passionate Fan's Perspective.
"The Cracker Jack Report: Beer, Brats, and Occasionally Baseball" March 11, 2011

In my lifetime I have never been more excited about baseball than the upcoming 2011 MLB season. With spring training well underway and the college ranks already into the third week of regular season play, the anticipation for the ceremonial first pitch is crackling through the air like stray lightening bolts electrifying the need for baseball in every red blooded American soul. I, for one, have already participated in 4 mock fantasy baseball drafts, read every single season preview mag on the grocery store shelf, and invested many dollars in autographed cards of star prospects waiting in the wings to shine on the stage in the Big Show. A bit obsessive? Maybe to the casual observer or "average" sports fan. But to the passionate baseball community, this is not an obsession. This is a way of life.

My year does not begin on January 1st like the rest of humanity, ignorantly operating on a Julian based calendar. As a matter of fact, my calendar does not even have 365 days to annually measure the passing time of each year. My calendar begins on the day that pitchers and catchers report for spring training and ends on the final out of the World Series. All days of your Julian based winter months are referred to as the purgatory of the off season. During that time I pray without ceasing to the baseball gods of Ruth, Marris, Mantle, Williams, and Cobb to swiftly bring an end to these dark times when baseball fields are overgrown with weeds and the bleachers remain empty amplifying the reverb of silence in the night skies. But as a young child starring out of their window on Christmas Eve in anticipation of the annual visit of jolly old St. Nicholas, I as well will have my eyes fixed upon cable channel 48 in anticipation of the annual visit of Peter Gammons and Buster Olney for their MLB season opener. As my girlfriend tells me that the house needs to be cleaned up, it sparks an internal debate as to who should bat clean up for the Red Sox this year, Crawford, Youk, or Gonzalez? As my mother calls and ask how I have been, I think, will Ben Zobrist, Ben Sheets, or Bengie Molina return to fantasy relevance this year? As I am watching the news and hear the lead story of a man who saved a life, I think this will probably be the first season that Mariano does not save 30+ games. Then the next story in the news tells about an increase of stealing throughout the city and instantly I ask if Ellsbury, Crawford, and Pedroia could possibly combine for a total of 150 stolen bases, a feat that would have given those three players more stolen bases combined than 27 other teams had total all of last year.

This is how the mind of a baseball fanatic works. Its about the stats, the probabilities, the odds, the streaks, the accomplishments, and applying them all to real life situations. This is how the heart of a baseball fanatic works. Its about savoring a cheddar brat smothered in onions, green peppers, and spicy mustard while chasing it down with an ice cold Bud Light draft in a minor league park. All the while sitting next to your son and then instantly lifting him high in the air at the sound and sight of an incoming foul ball in hopes that he will bring home a cherished souvenir from the greatest spectator sport in all of man's history. This is how the passion of a baseball fanatic works. Its about spending countless hours on a daily basis researching starters, opposing batters, ball park dimensions, weather conditions, and line-ups in order to take advantage of your not so worthy opponent in your fantasy league. Besides, we all know that having 7 consecutive Yahoo! Fantasy League Championship trophies on your mantle is truly the mark of a champion in life.

So once again, I have begun my annual rituals in preparation for the upcoming baseball season. My history of eBay purchases brag of my insight for future stars ($50 for a Mark Price rookie...3 years after his first surgery). My mock drafts intimidate all who dare to face me in fantasy baseball (Eric Gagne 1st overall pick in 2005...I finished 11th out of 12). My regurgitation of knowledge from Sporting News Baseball reveal to all that I am truly a baseball expert and produce original thoughts never read by any other (Seattle Mariners will win the 2010 World Series...they finished 61-101). My blogs, well my blogs entertain myself and make me feel important.

So here it is folks... the 2011 season is upon us. May it bless our hearts and souls, make memories for a lifetime, and teach us the valuable lessons of life... Never park behind the left field wall. Take your family to games on Tuesday Family Nights for 50 cent hot dogs in order to save money and then pay off your lunch money debts with your "boys" on Thirsty Thursday $1 Beer night with the money you saved from Family Night hot dogs. And finally, never, never ever, be seen with me wearing a Yankees hat, ever. I mean that, ever. Ever! Go Red Sox, Play Ball!

Members online

Latest posts