Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BGS 9.5 vs PSA 10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
This was brought up in a Buster Posey thread, but i feel it deserves its own chat.

it was noted that PSA 10's of certain cards are outselling their BGS 9.5 counterparts.

i am of the belief that this has a legitimate shot at becoming more of the norm then
people (especially around here) are used to.

The thing to remember about PSA is that they have been around for a very long time,
and their Registry Family is a rampant group of gottabenumberoneatallcosts-ers!

if those big shots decide they want to be the best in the new pool of cards, then they
will be.

im reminded of one of my favorite Star Wars scenes:

[youtube:1t76icsl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzs-OvfG8tE[/youtube:1t76icsl]

Sure both companies have their faults, as does any company making anything, thats life.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
I have access to a BGS submission, so my collection will be all BGS unless i pick up already slabbed PSA's. But i very rarely buy anything already slabbed so my collection is 98%+ BGS and will continue that way.

BGS slabs are also much sturdier but it doesn't surprise me that PSA is shifting toward being the preferred.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Until PSA creates a Pristine grade and hires some helpful CS reps ( :eek: ), BGS will continue to get my business.

mb0049

Jul 31, 2010
I have always had an issue with Beckett overall. Everything they do gets to a a point where it becomes a conflict of interest. Let Beckett sell your graded cards, which Beckett grades in the first place? Are you kidding me? We'll set prices in our guides on the cards that we are grading ourselves. I know it's about being profitable, but this is a really shady thing in my opinion.

Don't even get me started on PSA'a you can open with little effort slabs....

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
No grading company is perfect, but BGS and PSA both do a pretty good job. For my personal collection, I usually pick PSA. I have one card in my PC that is still in a BGS holder: the Brien Taylor BGS 9.5 auto.

Here is a PSA 10 corner that bugged me. I was hoping for a 9 on this card, and was shocked when it was slabbed a 10:

lofgrencorner.jpg

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
BGS 9.5's used to hold a lot more weight than they do now. BGS standards have fallen off greatly and most people have noticed it. BGS has also failed miserably to promote their registry, because of this, PSA will continue to be more popular with registry people. The registry alone dictates many prices. My only example I can give is that in the past year, both a PSA 10 and BGS 9.5 of Andruw Jones 1995 Bowman Best Refractor have surfaced. The PSA 10 sold for $985 and I bought the BGS 9.5 for $342. I was very happy to snag mine for the price, but it does have me wondering if I should try to have it crossed over to a PSA 10 in case I want to resell it down the road. For modern cards, I think most people still prefer BGS, but that may change down the road? I mean who would have thought a PSA 10 for 1995 cards would be worth more than a BGS 9.5? I personally didn't think so.

I personally still prefer BGS for the protection. I wonder if PSA will change their slabbing in the future to make them more sturdy? Just my 2 cents!

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
gracecollector said:
Most likely due to the fact that BGS now hands out 9.5's like fun size Butterfingers on Halloween.
It's still harder to get a BGS 9.5 as opposed to a PSA 10. Without the registry I think the market would reflect that. But I still maintain that there are more BGS 9.5's now due to the minimum grade option. BGS won't admit it and many people will defend them but it's in their best interest not to leave all that money on the table and more questionable cards are getting that little bit needed to "make the grade". Just my opinion of course.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Rickzcards said:
gracecollector said:
Most likely due to the fact that BGS now hands out 9.5's like fun size Butterfingers on Halloween.
It's still harder to get a BGS 9.5 as opposed to a PSA 10. Without the registry I think the market would reflect that. But I still maintain that there are more BGS 9.5's now due to the minimum grade option. BGS won't admit it and many people will defend them but it's in their best interest not to leave all that money on the table and more questionable cards are getting that little bit needed to "make the grade". Just my opinion of course.

I've subbed close to 1000 cards over the last year and a half because I was able to take advantage of a minimum grade, low cost submission. While I don't have a high % (because i don't look at them that closely) its hundreds of 9.5's that don't have any 9's, etc. to go along with them, and hundreds of cards that never would have been submitted if I wasn't in the submission

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Rickzcards said:
gracecollector said:

This has not been my experience.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Why in the world would someone want a Buster Posey PSA 10 chrome auto for a set registry?

It's not like anyone in the world is trying to put together a complete 2008 bowman chrome draft set.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
brouthercard said:
Why in the world would someone want a Buster Posey PSA 10 chrome auto for a set registry?

It's not like anyone in the world is trying to put together a complete 2008 bowman chrome draft set.

there are lots of different Registry Sets going on

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
brouthercard said:

You don't know that

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
thefatguy said:
brouthercard said:

You don't know that

Yes I do.

I suppose someone could be going for a buster posey player set.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
brouthercard said:
thefatguy said:
brouthercard said:

You don't know that

Yes I do.

or a Top Rookie Cards of Current Players set

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
ThoseBackPages said:
brouthercard said:
thefatguy said:
brouthercard said:

You don't know that

Yes I do.

So why would the Posey be part of that set- does psa determine the top rookie card?

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
brouthercard said:
ThoseBackPages said:
brouthercard said:
thefatguy said:
brouthercard said:

You don't know that

Yes I do.

So why would Posey be part of that set?

Actually, thinking about it more. That card fits perfectly into a Rookie Of The Year Set

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
ThoseBackPages said:
brouthercard said:
ThoseBackPages said:
brouthercard said:
thefatguy said:
[quote="brouthercard":3efm308z]Why in the world would someone want a Buster Posey PSA 10 chrome auto for a set registry?

You don't know that

Yes I do.

So why would Posey be part of that set?

Actually, thinking about it more. That card fits perfectly into a Rookie Of The Year Set[/quote:3efm308z]

I guess that works out.

How many different registries are there anyways? Can you "invent" your own category?

Members online

Latest posts