Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What effect will the lockout have on the card market ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarlinsManiac20

Mar 14, 2010
I don't collect football really anymore, but I was wondering what will this lockouts effect be on the card market? Is there even going to be cards or an effect?

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
MarlinsManiac20 said:
I don't collect football really anymore, but I was wondering what will this lockouts effect be on the card market? Is there even going to be cards or an effect?

I think it will negatively affect the football card market. Football fans are a more fickle bunch and a year of no new cards would turn a lot of fans off for awhile. I'm not talking total collapse or anything, but it will be noticeable for a couple years after IMO.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
Won't bother me, ya there won't be weekly spikes in the "hot" players but true collectors will continue to buy and that is where I make my money

seahawks4ever

Apr 24, 2009
Washington State
From a collector's standpoint, I couldn't be happier. If nothing changes, I will have a good amount of time with nothing new to buy. For me, that's a good thing. Plus, all the Seahawks will decrease in secondary value, making it easier for me to pick stuff up.

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Prices on the secondary market will probably take a slight hit, because like J-Rod said, there won't be any hot players like there are every year. True collectors will still buy the products because they are collectors at heart. Collectors who rarely collect might get turned off by the lockout, and that where's the majority of the slight hit will come from.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I think there's going to be a huge influx of vintage buyers. Obviously just speculation, but I think the guys already in the HOF will see a prolonged spike.

Definitely one of those "Today's players suck! I'm buying some Billy Sims!" and then the guy who pulled like 80 Simms out of Panini products thinking they were Sanders on first glance will be able to get rid of them.

Latest posts