Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1984 Donruss Question....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RyanHowardFan

Mar 24, 2009
Philly, Pa
Can anyone tell me more about the Diamond Kings in this set. What I need to know is why was there 2 variations to them? One was STEEL and the other was STEELE.

Also could they both be found in wax packs or was only certain ones found in Factory sets?

The reason I am asking is because I might be able to purchase some wax boxes and also some factory sets for a very good price that I can't ignore. The reason I would purchase is for possible PSA grading.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
STEELE DKs are only in the factory sets. Same for the Darling and Steinhouse Rated Rookies, those were corrected in the factory set as it was printed last

how trustworthy is your source? Wax is very easily resealed, be careful. the factory sets are sealed in 50ct "bricks" which can lead to damaged corners/edges.

RyanHowardFan

Mar 24, 2009
Philly, Pa
ThoseBackPages said:
STEELE DKs are only in the factory sets. Same for the Darling and Steinhouse Rated Rookies, those were corrected in the factory set as it was printed last

how trustworthy is your source? Wax is very easily resealed, be careful. the factory sets are sealed in 50ct "bricks" which can lead to damaged corners/edges.

He is a very reliable source. I have dealt with him for over 15 years. He actually has had these in his possesion since 1985. He is getting out of the business/Collecting world. He is just looking to dump for cheap. It also helps that he is moving and doesn't want to take most of his stuff with him.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
RyanHowardFan said:
ThoseBackPages said:

He is a very reliable source. I have dealt with him for over 15 years. He actually has had these in his possesion since 1985. He is getting out of the business/Collecting world. He is just looking to dump for cheap. It also helps that he is moving and doesn't want to take most of his stuff with him.

Cool beans. keep us posted on what you pick up!

does he have a lot of 80s sealed cases?

RyanHowardFan

Mar 24, 2009
Philly, Pa
ThoseBackPages said:
RyanHowardFan said:
ThoseBackPages said:

Cool beans. keep us posted on what you pick up!

does he have a lot of 80s sealed cases?

I talk with him 3 or 4 times a week for the last 15 years. I have had really good results with wax I have bought from him in the past. The one place I have never been to is his house where he keeps all of this 80's treasures. I am going over there tomorrow to take a better a look at his collection. I have known for several years about his 84 Donruss collection though. I figured it was worth asking him one last time if he would be willing to sell the 84 Donruss stuff since he was moving. It seems as though my idea has worked.

I will definitely take a close look at everything he has. I am willing to purchase anything he is willing to sell especially any cases. Especially since he is dumping for cheap. I will keep you posted on what I purchase besides the 84 donruss

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Yes, please do share ANYTHING 80s that you pick up. and if he wont sell you certain things, perhaps some cell phone pics to drool at? :)

RyanHowardFan

Mar 24, 2009
Philly, Pa
PeteD said:
That set is notorious for bad centering...so don't be alarmed when you bust the wax.

Yeah I am well aware of that issue. Thanks for letting me know anyways. I know he has 5 Wax boxes and 4 Factory Sealed sets. If that is all I purchase from him I know I am getting an extremely good deal. Total price for all of those is 400.00 which is an absolute steal. I could flip those and double my money or even more without opening anything.

Now I just need to see what else he has since he has never told me everything he has. I sure hope he is willing to sell more then just the 84 Donruss stuff

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
RyanHowardFan said:
PeteD said:
That set is notorious for bad centering...so don't be alarmed when you bust the wax.

Yeah I am well aware of that issue. Thanks for letting me know anyways. I know he has 5 Wax boxes and 4 Factory Sealed sets. If that is all I purchase from him I know I am getting an extremely good deal. Total price for all of those is 400.00 which is an absolute steal. I could flip those and double my money or even more without opening anything.

Now I just need to see what else he has since he has never told me everything he has. I sure hope he is willing to sell more then just the 84 Donruss stuff

wow that is an amazing price!

Retail of what you listed is currently $1,500

RyanHowardFan

Mar 24, 2009
Philly, Pa
ThoseBackPages said:
RyanHowardFan said:
PeteD said:

wow that is an amazing price!

Retail of what you listed is currently $1,500

I know. That is exactly why I am excited to get this stuff. I actually thought about buying then reselling and not opening at all. I could use the profit and purchase the 1975 Topps Mini Wax Box I have wanted for some time now. I just hope he has more 80's wax for cheap. I am not getting my hopes up but I know he has the 84 stuff at least.

Members online