Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bryce Harper Aflac Autos- Surprised by all of the BGS 9.5's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Is anyone else as surprised as I am about all of the BGS 9.5's of this card already on the market?

I thought these would be MUCH more condition sensitive than what they appear to be. All of mine I pulled (not harper) were pretty banged up. You have to keep in mind that MAYBE half of this product has been ripped, maybe less than half.

There are already 34 Gems on BGS's population report and (1) 10, and I saw 5 or so RCR BGS 9.5's at the show as well.

Anyone else surprised? Or have thoughts on it?

skrip

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
Harper must have taken care of the cards rather than shoving/throwing them into the boxes after they signed them. I think that has something to do with it.

Anyone have a link to the video of the players signing their AFLAC cards? I saw some just throw the cards back into the boxes after signing...

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Not surprised.

Maybe I'm looking into it too much but I think Bryce is a pretty savvy guy and probably understands what collectors want, even at a young age. My guess is that he signed very carefully and handled them well.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
jbhofmann said:
Not surprised.

Maybe I'm looking into it too much but I think Bryce is a pretty savvy guy and probably understands what collectors want, even at a young age. My guess is that he signed very carefully and handled them well.

I hear you, and I get that. But it is still tough for them to get to him, him sign them, get back to topps, be packaged, shipped, handled, sleeved, put in a rigid holder, ship to bgs, get handled and still be a gem. Especially on that card stock.

I guess maybe I am the only surprised....

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
The harpers were all real clean. I have seen alot of them and they all look clean. I am not surprised at all. If theyre clean why wouldnt they gem. Most of the other aflacs I have handled dont seem as nice.

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
Not saying that the Harper AFLACs weren't especially clean to begin with but anytime you have a white bordered card that has tremendous value, certain people are going to get their hands on them and do everything they can to make the cards "nicer." I can see from the completed listings that this was probably the case.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
This was what the 4th run Topps had at making AFLAC cards too, the print production was far better than '06 for sure and probably other years as well. I saw a fair amount of the Harpers come in unsigned through the BGS group sub and all of those were quite clean as well.

josephcb09

Apr 1, 2009
Let me start off by saying that my experience with grading isn't near as much as most of you all.

But lets call it like it is here.

The fact is that BGS has been MUCH more lenient with higher profile cards (both in the case of the Harper AFLAC, as well as in the past). There is no way around this.

I recently sent some cards into the FCB group sub. I had a Harper Aflac auto that I was considering sending in but after looking it over close, I thought it was a 9 at absolute best. There were two spots on the back of the card and the corners weren't strong at all. I decided to sell the card raw, while noting the condition issues, for $700. Of course the buyer sent it in and it came back a 9.5. Out of the other cards I sent in, I ended up with an 8, two 8.5s, a few 9s and two 9.5s. All of those cards were in better shape than my Harper.

I guess all I am saying here is lets not be naive to the fact that this is BGS' M O and we should all know this going in.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
jcmint said:
The harpers were all real clean. I have seen alot of them and they all look clean. I am not surprised at all. If theyre clean why wouldnt they gem. Most of the other aflacs I have handled dont seem as nice.

Who do you see as the second "cleanest" AFLAC you've come across?

Members online

No members online now.