Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Any Allen & Ginter collectors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

autorook

Jan 30, 2011
California
Prices dropped from $100 to $60 for the hobby boxes and looking to pickup some.

The only thing that is turning me off from the product are the non-baseball stuff.

How much of the box are baseball and not? for example is it 50% baseball and 50% non-baseball?

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
60 bucks for what year? Actually some of the more expensive cards are the non-baseball cards, you can sell
them and buy the baseball guys.

Kevin

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Price check on Blowout
2006 not in stock. Sure it has to be over $100 a box. Can't be much wax even left from this year. TBP you sitting on any?
2007 not in stock.
2008 $66 a box. Maybe the weakest year in Ginter?
2009 $80 a box. So still holding value. Sleeper year in ginter history.
2010 $85 a box. Little surprised at this one. I think at one time they were in $60 range for a box.

hoopster3977

Jun 22, 2010
Upper Peninsula
autorook said:
Looking at 2010, ebay sellers asking $900 for a hobby case.
I had really bad luck with 2010 Ginter. I was shorted numerous auto's and relic pieces in my case. Didn't pull a rip or silk card from the case.

Pass.......................................................................

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
hoopster3977 said:
autorook said:
Looking at 2010, ebay sellers asking $900 for a hobby case.
I had really bad luck with 2010 Ginter. I was shorted numerous auto's and relic pieces in my case. Didn't pull a rip or silk card from the case.

Pass.......................................................................
have you ever had good luck with anything?

Ryan The Orange

Mar 30, 2010
St. Louis
I started breaking Ginter in 2008, and I had decent luck with every year. If you are into IP or TTM autographs, 2008 is a great buy because the cards look amazing signed.

As far as the ratio of non-baseball to baseball, I would say that around 40 of the 350 base cards are non-baseball. But in my opinion, those cards make the set even better.

Here is what the 2008 version looks like signed:

Chestnut.jpg

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I always seem to at least break even with Ginter, though I've not traded as heavily I used to in the last couple of years.

After getting stiffed in a trade and the run around from a few traders, I had less fun with it.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I am a big fan of 08 Ginter, mainly because I like the design a lot better than anything else that I have seen with Ginter... the borderless part is the thing that nabs me every time on that product

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
2008 was the worst year for Ginter by far. 09 had Phelps and that is a huge hit. Pujols and Tony Hawk in 2010
so that will remain high. 06 is 200+ if you can find it...many HOF'ers and many of the boxes had two autos in
them.

Kevin

autorook

Jan 30, 2011
California
schmidtfan20 said:
2008 was the worst year for Ginter by far. 09 had Phelps and that is a huge hit. Pujols and Tony Hawk in 2010
so that will remain high. 06 is 200+ if you can find it...many HOF'ers and many of the boxes had two autos in
them.

Kevin

Which HOFers?

Ryan The Orange

Mar 30, 2010
St. Louis
autorook said:
schmidtfan20 said:
them.

Kevin

Which HOFers?

If I remember correctly: Musial, Ryan, Ripken, Yastrzemski, Ozzie Smith, Gwynn. Could be wrong though.

Taikob

Jul 21, 2010
I've been on and off with this set since 06(a few blasters) to 09(Exclusively collecting the "champion" memorabilia). It was the first set I actually enjoyed putting together and the mini set is always a fun challenge(many years still a work in progress). After the 2009 release I kind of lost interest because I was under the distinct impression that Topps was just calling it in with their "Champions"(less Phelps) in the auto/mem. sets. Another point that killed my interest was the lack of Boxing champions Allen & Ginter used to feature 06:Spinks/Tyson, 07:L. Ali,Frazier, 08:pavlik/Moore/Mancini/Green/Miranda/Fenech/Pryor/Peter/Casamayor memorabilia then suddenly an absence of 2 years. Of course Topps appeared to have read my mind :eek: since we are seeing a much better list of champions and 4? boxers with Pacman,Lamotta,Ward,and Julaton(?). They made the exact adjustment to get my interest back and I am glad to have something to collect this summer.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
autorook said:
Is $700 too little to offer for a 2010 case.

How many boxes are in a case? I thought 2010 was a decent Ginter year. I recall most people getting 3-4 hits a box. One of the sailors mini set was pretty tough.

Schmidtfan or GC may know. What year did 1/1 plates, /10 silks, 1/1 wood and red ink autos star showing up in the product?

2006 has best auto checklist, what would be second best year for autos and so on? 2010 has a pretty good auto selection. One of the biggest checklist.