Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps responds to the plate issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
This is from another forum (Topps rep responding to me accusing them of making fake plates)

-----
Ah! An assumption. You are actually incorrect here, my friend. The printing plates you guys are pulling are, in fact, used for printing. Anyone who has actually pulled one can probably tell you they're often covered in residual ink.

While we do at times do some digital printing, it's always in-a-pinch, short run cards. An overwhelming proportion of our product is still printed traditionally on-press, which includes base cards. Base cards are never printed digitally.

I've been reading this thread, and have been answering questions as they arise, it always helps to pose a question and not wager a guess on Topps' policies based on the practices of other companies.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I don't believe it.

Printing plates in the past actual had a lot of residual ink left on the plates and signs of use, so unless these new plates in recent releases are seriously cleaned first, I don't buy it.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
Ty Hope said:
This is from another forum (Topps rep responding to me accusing them of making fake plates)

-----
Ah! An assumption. You are actually incorrect here, my friend. The printing plates you guys are pulling are, in fact, used for printing. Anyone who has actually pulled one can probably tell you they're often covered in residual ink.

While we do at times do some digital printing, it's always in-a-pinch, short run cards. An overwhelming proportion of our product is still printed traditionally on-press, which includes base cards. Base cards are never printed digitally.

I've been reading this thread, and have been answering questions as they arise, it always helps to pose a question and not wager a guess on Topps' policies based on the practices of other companies.

Did you happen to link him to one of the multiple threads on this board about them over the past couple months? Especially since Juddy has said he has first hand knowledge that some are manufactured.

People here have been questioning them for months here and nobody currently from Topps has weighed in yet to my knowledge.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
I don't believe it.

Printing plates in the past actual had a lot of residual ink left on the plates and signs of use, so unless these new plates in recent releases are seriously cleaned first, I don't buy it.

Agreed, but it looks as though this is the best answer we're going to get. No way to prove either way. I'm just going to stay away from them from here out.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
200lbhockeyplayer said:
I don't believe it.

Exactly, the ones from a few years ago actually had residue on them. The ones from more recent years are much harder to find with any ink or damage to them.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
DWright5 said:
Ty Hope said:

-----

Did you happen to link him to one of the multiple threads on this board about them over the past couple months? Especially since Juddy has said he has first hand knowledge that some are manufactured.

People here have been questioning them for months here and nobody currently from Topps has weighed in yet to my knowledge.

I am in the process of sending him a PM right now, but can't find which thread to send a link to. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I wonder what PBM Graphics would have to say on the matter, if they would say anything at all. Most of the card projects are fairly guarded.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
Ty Hope said:
Sending the links now. Who is Juddy BTW? A Topps rep?

I believe he worked there from what I remember. Not 100% sure. He said he had knowledge of the plates somehow.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
bozemanbreaker said:
Printing Plates are lame hits regardless. That is all.

To a lot of people. But some here collect them specifically, just like Patch collectors or Auto collectors, and really like the idea of them.

So to those of us who like them, the realization of them being "faked" would be just as big as finding out a "Game Used" jersey card is actually from a Photo Shoot. Or a "Game Used" relic card that was actually a piece of the dugout bench.

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey
Ty, Im confused by one thing in there response. they said all short run cards are digitally printed but base cards are printed the traditional way. What about base short prints and The legends variations in the past few sets? They did rush to add Starsburg into a lot of sets, So wouldn't his base be digital? Maybe this guy is just giving a statement that protects Topps, Its kinda vague on what a "short run" is.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
I got this reply. (the site that I spoke with this person is a sketch card site about the new Star Wars product).

-----
Unfortunately, I can only speak for my own products and I have nothing to do with the sports side of the company.

We do use a bunch of different printers and jobs are awarded on a month-by-month basis, so the vendor printing Bowman can change every year. I am not certain that explains the plate flip, but it is one possible explanation.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Ty Hope said:
I got this reply. (the site that I spoke with this person is a sketch card site about the new Star Wars product).

-----
Unfortunately, I can only speak for my own products and I have nothing to do with the sports side of the company.

We do use a bunch of different printers and jobs are awarded on a month-by-month basis, so the vendor printing Bowman can change every year. I am not certain that explains the plate flip, but it is one possible explanation.

This is what we call back-peddling.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
DWright5 said:
Ty Hope said:
Sending the links now. Who is Juddy BTW? A Topps rep?

I believe he worked there from what I remember. Not 100% sure. He said he had knowledge of the plates somehow.
While Juddy's experience may be valid in a lot of discussion, his printing knowledge (or understanding) isn't complete.

This following from the previously link thread is case in point...
Juddy said:
Printing plates are not actually used for printing. Everything today is FTP - File to Print, files from one computer are transferred to another computer attached to the printing machines. The plates are just a manufacturered inserts like anything else.

As far as I know most the card printing has been in this format for a few years now.

First off, I believe he is referring to DTP (or CTP) printing, not FTP. Basically, instead of having to go through the entire process of shooting negatives, then exposing the plates from the negatives, everything is printed directly from computer to plate for offset printing. IE: Direct to Plate, Digital to Plate or Computer to Plate, or even "File to Plate" I guess.

But, offset printing requires plates so that the ink can offset onto the paper or stock.

Digital printing obviously requires no plates, but very few releases are done on a digital printing basis simply because of the cost effectiveness of higher press runs being done on offset instead of digital. Short runs could be done more cost effectively via digital...but the products in question are most certainly done offset...therefore requiring plates for the print process.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts