Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

ERIC THAMES!!! WHUT WHUT!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
http://jaysprospects.com/2011/02/25/eric-thames-whats-in-store/

After a breakout season with the New Hampshire Fisher Cats in Double A last season, Eric Thames is ready to show scouts that he is the real deal. The 2008 Second-Team All American outfielder out of Pepperdine University has climbed the organizational depth chart ladder in hopes of getting his first taste of the Major Leagues.

Thames wasn’t signed until his second draft, in which the Blue Jays selected him in the 7th round, 219th overall in the 2008 First Year Player Draft. The previous year he was drafted by the New York Yankees in the 39th round, but did not sign. The decision paid off as Thames put up a .407 average with 13HR and 59 RBI’s in his final year of college as a junior.

In a May 2008 interview with Patrick Andriola of ProjectProspect.com prior to the draft, Thames mentions an injury he sustained only a few weeks before the draft. He had torn his quad muscle which required surgery and would side line him for 4-6 weeks. It would also hurt his draft position and signing bonus. The projected first to second rounder would be past on through 6 rounds before being drafted by JP Ricciardi and the Toronto Blue Jays, with a $150,000 signing bonus. Thames had the tools and skills to rank amongst the elite hitters of the draft, but many teams questioned whether his injury would hamper his development.

Eric Thames had a great first season of professional baseball with the Dunedin Blue Jays, boasting a .313 average

In 2009, Thames started his professional career with the GCL Blue Jays in the Rookie League before being moved up to the High-A Dunedin Blue Jays. His performance in 52 games with Dunedin was all that of a projected 1st rounder, posting a .313 average with 3 home runs and 38 RBI’s. Despite a nice first season, including being named a 2009 Florida State League Mid-Season All-Star, there was still something missing from his game. Power.

When Spring of 2010 came around Eric Thames’ name was nowhere to be found on any top prospects lists. He was barely a top 15 prospect in the Blue Jays organization, not to mention the plethora of outfielders above him on the depth chart. In the big league, the Blue Jays had former 1st round pick Travis Snider in the outfield with “The Franchise” Vernon Wells, and Alex Rios. These three were thought to be with the Blue Jays for a very long time.

In 2010, Eric Thames hit 27 home runs with a league leading 104 RBI's driven in with the New Hampshire Fisher Cats

After a strong spring training, Thames started the MiLB season with the New Hampshire Fisher Cats in AA, coached by former Major League infielder Luis Rivera. Thames dominated pitchers, showing off his power and free-swinging style. Thames blasted 27 home runs, tied for 2nd in the Eastern League in that category, while driving in a league leading 104 RBI’s. Not only did he hit for power, he showed patience at the plate by posting a .288 average and .370 OBP. Thames was named Baseball America Minor League Second-Team All Star, 2010 Topps Double-A All Star, 2010 Eastern League Mid-Season and Post-Season All Star, and won the Blue Jays R. Howard Webster Double-A Player of the Year Award.

Earning a Major League Spring Training invite for 2011, Thames will get his first taste of living and training with the big boys. This should be a great experience for him, and could possibly earn him a spot with the Las Vegas 51’s, the Blue Jays Triple-A affiliate. If not, he will be under the guidance with new Fisher Cats Manager Sal Fasano, who is a mentor, teacher, and student of the game, considered one of the smartest baseball minds around.

JaysJournal.com recently ranked Thames the 15th best prospect in the Blue Jays organization, with free agent pitcher Henderson Alvarez and 2010 draftee pitcher Noah Syndergaard ranked ahead of him. While I don’t disagree with the placement, I feel that by the end of the season, if Thames can have a consistent season while putting up similar numbers, he will move up the rankings by quite a large margin. It’s almost certain he will see time in AAA, and if the stars align with an injury bug plaguing the Blue Jays outfielders, a big league call up might just be in store for Eric Thames.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
LLWesMan said:
This fool rakes. Played against him in junior college and he hit two mammoth bombs off of one of my best friends who was our conference pitcher of the year, left handed and threw 90.
Yes he does! He played for my uncles team last year so I was able to see him play a lot. I wasnt aware that he playe JUCO.

Wes

OG
Administrator
elmalo said:
LLWesMan said:
This fool rakes. Played against him in junior college and he hit two mammoth bombs off of one of my best friends who was our conference pitcher of the year, left handed and threw 90.
Yes he does! He played for my uncles team last year so I was able to see him play a lot. I wasnt aware that he playe JUCO.

His first year of college ball was at West Valley in the Bay Area.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
LLWesMan said:
elmalo said:
LLWesMan said:

His first year of college ball was at West Valley in the Bay Area.
Cool.

brianga26

Aug 7, 2008
Atlanta, GA
He is a really cool guy. I bs'd with him for a while in the AFL. Very laid back guy, cracks jokes on the other players. And the guy can RAKE!

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
brianga26 said:
He is a really cool guy. I bs'd with him for a while in the AFL. Very laid back guy, cracks jokes on the other players. And the guy can RAKE!
Teah, he is a cool guy. And he can mash.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts