Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Remember When BGS 10s Were Almost Impossible to Come By?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
half of these are not BGS 10. Many are 9.5 and 9 with a 10 auto. However I agree that it appears a little easier to get a 10

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I'm sure they submit a massive amount of cards considering some of the cards were base chromes of nobody prospects...but we never would have seen anything like this five years ago.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
goblue6919 said:
I guess they're not anymore. This is pretty ridiculous:
http://shop.ebay.com/first_class_card_g ... 4340.l2562

Do you realize how many $10's of thousands of dollars they spend yearly on grading? I am willing to bet they grade more than the next three biggest graders on these boards combined. Maybe more. This is a board members, I am guessing you know that.

I think you are seeing more 10's for a lot of reasons. Part of it is collectors/graders getting better at what they doing. Many have learned little tricks that increase your chances. More and more grading being done with products that are easy to grade such as bowman chrome and bowman sterling. On top of that, sheer volume. More and more cards are being graded across the board on a yearly basis.

Just some thoughts.

skrip

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
ballerskrip said:
I think you are seeing more 10's for a lot of reasons. Part of it is collectors/graders getting better at what they doing. Many have learned little tricks that increase your chances. More and more grading being done with products that are easy to grade such as bowman chrome and bowman sterling. On top of that, sheer volume. More and more cards are being graded across the board on a yearly basis.

This is interesting in that it would mean there are a lot more 10s out there than previously thought; maybe they really aren't particularly rare.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Beckett needs money... so if they still had the same strict grading people wouldnt send stuff in to get graded. Now that a 10 seems to happen every day... people will spend money to send stuff in and hope for a 10 to really cash in.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
P_Manning 18 said:
Beckett needs money... so if they still had the same strict grading people wouldnt send stuff in to get graded. Now that a 10 seems to happen every day... people will spend money to send stuff in and hope for a 10 to really cash in.

Exactly my thoughts.

I also know that grading is subjective but those that spend the big money with BGS do get favored in my opinion. Look no farther than the Starsburg Super that Beckett sold.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
excel_B said:
Today I found out my BGS order; I submitted 100 cards and ended up with 9 - BGS 10! 81 are BGS 9.5 and 7 of them are BGS 9.... :D

This is why I've never bought and will never buy a graded card.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
In the beginning when the subs where on the back 10s were nearly unheard of. That said, I've always felt the 10 grade was a little gimmicky. It's not like anyone was dissatisfied with PSA 10s, which were equivalent to 9.5s. Pristine was just something made up to distinguish Beckett from PSA. To give people a reason to grade with them. Prior to Beckett grading no one ever heard of pristine. It has no hobby history.

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
Fandruw25 said:
P_Manning 18 said:

Exactly my thoughts.

I also know that grading is subjective but those that spend the big money with BGS do get favored in my opinion. Look no farther than the Starsburg Super that Beckett sold.

Interesting thought considering, from what I understand, that is the only card that guy has ever graded. Not exactly "spending big money with BGS". You should talk to a lot of big submitters and see if your theory holds any weight.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
WJCIII said:
Fandruw25 said:
P_Manning 18 said:

Exactly my thoughts.

Interesting thought considering, from what I understand, that is the only card that guy has ever graded. Not exactly "spending big money with BGS". You should talk to a lot of big submitters and see if your theory holds any weight.

With the card it was hyped, and Beckett was consigning. Even if it was his first submission, I'm sure beckett was making a % of the profit on very sought after card...a 9.5 would hopefully raise the ending price thus giving them "big" money.

Also I'd bet if a guy submitted 1000+ cards with a min grade 9.5 he'd get more than 100 different submitters subbing 10 cards each. Maybe here is where min grades are coming into play by bumping cards that should remain .5 away. Honestly I don't base by collection on grades so I don't have a real dog in the race but I do favor old slabs to new and I'll pay a premium for them.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
nborton said:
In the beginning when the subs where on the back 10s were nearly unheard of. That said, I've always felt the 10 grade was a little gimmicky. It's not like anyone was dissatisfied with PSA 10s, which were equivalent to 9.5s. Pristine was just something made up to distinguish Beckett from PSA. To give people a reason to grade with them. Prior to Beckett grading no one ever heard of pristine. It has no hobby history.

Outstanding post, and spot on.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Fandruw25 said:
WJCIII said:
Fandruw25 said:
P_Manning 18 said:

Exactly my thoughts.

With the card it was hyped, and Beckett was consigning. Even if it was his first submission, I'm sure beckett was making a % of the profit on very sought after card...a 9.5 would hopefully raise the ending price thus giving them "big" money.

Also I'd bet if a guy submitted 1000+ cards with a min grade 9.5 he'd get more than 100 different submitters subbing 10 cards each. Maybe here is where min grades are coming into play by bumping cards that should remain .5 away. Honestly I don't base by collection on grades so I don't have a real dog in the race but I do favor old slabs to new and I'll pay a premium for them.

You'd lose the shirt off your back dude.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I'm fairly sure that may guy may be one of the largest BGS submitters there is, I think he's the reason all those 10s popped early on in the BDP reports.

Members online

Latest posts