Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Question for set collectors. (a little read)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XdanX

Aug 7, 2008
As many as you know for the past year and change I have been working on the 2006 Topps Co-Signers dual autograph set. I currently stand at a measly 45.88% of completion (39 / 85 cards). Now I know Im not at the half way mark at over a year+ but that is not whats keeping me back from wanting to complete this. I started to work on this this when it was released and had a good start on it (for the time) but something came up and I had to sell most of my cards. Since release there are 11 cards I have never seen (short printed to 18 and 25) as well as 8-10 being as I say held hostage on ebay and dealers. I know its not much to some here but i have about $1,100 tied up in this set that rarely gets an addition. My question is what keeps other set builders going ? What motivates you to continue building if you hardly ever acquire a new piece. Any advice is thanked.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
I've learned NOT to try to build a set unless I don't mind spending my entire lifetime trying to complete it.

If i'm not willing to put that kind of effort into it, I start selling everything off if i've already started (keeping the best cards), or I just don't start to build the set in the first place.

I've learned that I would rather buy multiple copies of my single favorite card in that one set versus try to complete the entire set. I just can't justify spending large amounts of money for certain cards that I really have no attachment to except to just complete a set. I would rather put the money into that one key card from different sets.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Multiple set projects keep me going, each with varying degrees of size, price, and/or difficulty (production run, collector knowledge, etc contribute to this). Each of those three variables are ever present in my set building.

There are some sets that are extremely inexpensive to complete, but almost impossible because of availability due to size or production run.

Other sets are readily available, but their costs and sizes are disadvantageous to me completing them with any kind of speed.

Other sets are both expensive and large...probably won't finish those until the baseball card market completely collapses and I'm the only collector left on the face of the planet.

So, I have large vintage and modern sets that I tinker with when my specialty sets are unavailable. When I'm limiting my spending to hold out for "the big one," I buy commons in my big sets. When I have some excess cash, I'll buy the occasional big ticket card.

Then I have my small sets that are either cost prohibitive or lack availability. Those are the sets I save for, waiting for the next big guy to hit.

In the end, I recommend having large sets that are readily available and fairly easy on the pocketbook to stifle the "hunger" to add to the PC. You can buy the lower dollar items from time to time, see real progress on a set, and still save money for the big *one.*

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Took me 13 years to complete the 1997 Totally Certified Gold set #/30. The thrill of every 6 months finding one card was enough.......I kept plugging away on other sets to keep busy.

Stick with it, set collectors are a dying breed.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I have been working on a set and I just missed out on one of the two cards I need to fill that set.. I had the seller contact the buyer, but he didn't want to sell the card he paid $10 for.. I would have paid over $100 for since I have been working on that set since 2004.. Just keep an eye open and continue to work on the set.. I have filled a coupled of sets, and it's such a great satisfaction when you complete it..

Here is the set I am working on..

2004 Leather & Lumber Baseball Leather Auto's

I need Luis Aprarico /10 and Ralph Kiner /5 to complete the set..
(Here's an example)

duke-snider1.jpg

Good luck,

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I'd like to take the time for a shameless plug...if anyone finds a Puckett, please let me know! There not all scanned, but I'll update the image when I finally find the KP!

ScannedImage.jpg

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I am trying to complete 2 sets... (maybe 3...)...

First off, the 2011 ToppsTown set. It should be fairly easy to do, and very affordable. I am about a 3rd of the way done, but I haven't put a lot of time into it.

Second, I am not really working on it, but I guess I kinda am... 2004 Bowman. I opened a jumbo box and had a really good start to the set. I have about 25 cards I need to add in, but then I want that done by the end of the school year.

Third, the whopper... 1958 Topps. There are some pretty pricey cards, but there are some very cheap ones. Doing the set raw will save me some money. The thing that keeps me going is the fact that one day, I will have finished my first vintage set. I just scored the Jim Bunning ($30 BV) for about $8. In 2-3 months, I have about 25 cards. I have enough paypal to go after another common, maybe later tonight.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
XdanX said:
As many as you know for the past year and change I have been working on the 2006 Topps Co-Signers dual autograph set. I currently stand at a measly 45.88% of completion (39 / 85 cards). Now I know Im not at the half way mark at over a year+ but that is not whats keeping me back from wanting to complete this. I started to work on this this when it was released and had a good start on it (for the time) but something came up and I had to sell most of my cards. Since release there are 11 cards I have never seen (short printed to 18 and 25) as well as 8-10 being as I say held hostage on ebay and dealers. I know its not much to some here but i have about $1,100 tied up in this set that rarely gets an addition. My question is what keeps other set builders going ? What motivates you to continue building if you hardly ever acquire a new piece. Any advice is thanked.
When a whole set (well partial at the time) is a part of the pc it can be part love for the set, thrill (sometimes) of putting it together, and as nice as it is to have a great card in your pc its that much better to have a set in your pc. I am working on all of the BC autos 2002 on, 61, 66, and 71 with nothing finished. Unlike your issue of not finding cards my issue is more being stretched so thin its hard to add to everything, but i could not see ever giving up on any of them. I am about 200 cards from finishing the 3 vintage sets and less than 100 to finish all of the BC auto sets and man there is some coin needed to finish them all as close as i am. DON'T GIVE UP! Keep us updated.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Im working on multiple 2000's on card HOF auto sets (that's what ive been recently collecting) and some of those are tough ass SP's

Honestly, I just keep building sets and finding new stuff to collect as well, otherwise i'll get bored

Some people like to really specialize and collect only certain things but I try not to limit myself...that's how it becomes more of a chore than a hobby

One thing I do now is collect nickname autos.

Ive been looking for the 2003 Donruss Signature Ivan Rodriguez "Pudge" nickname auto to match the Carlton Fisk "Pudge" auto for a while but it's super SP :evil:

darrend505

Aug 9, 2008
I started out as a collector at 5,6 years old and twenty years later, I still am! Its the thrill of finding those last few cards that you need to finish the set. The relic set in my sig I have been working on since 2003 and I am down to 10. I find one that I need every six months or so. I search all the time and have helped others find ones that they have needed. I only have 2 sets going at the moment,but I get a lot of enjoyment out of them!

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
I have multiple sets in progress. Some have hit the wall as I am down to the super tough and super $$$ cards. I also have three easier sets I'm working on. The easier sets keep me busy and productive. I check in on the hard stuff from time to time and rely on eBay saved searches for the most part, to alert me when the rare items I need show up.

Tom

XdanX

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks for all the input guys. Building a set kind of puts me put of my element because im not that much of a collector, im more a constant buy, sell, trade and flip type of guy always changing up my stock but for some reason I just love the look of this set. My problem is not wanting to rip myself off. Its near impossible for me to bring myself to spend $275 for a card that is really only worth $125 - $150 that will in essence sit in a box with the rest of the set. The one thing that keeps me going is the rare occasion that i can add a card at a some what reasonable price or when i finally see one for the first time.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
George_Calfas said:
Took me 13 years to complete the 1997 Totally Certified Gold set #/30. The thrill of every 6 months finding one card was enough.......I kept plugging away on other sets to keep busy.

Agreed.

darrend505

Aug 9, 2008
theplasticman said:
George_Calfas said:

Agreed.

Let me know if you ever want to move that Erstad jersey! I'll pay 10x what you did for it!

Members online

Latest posts